Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is absolutely insane. Nikola has started taking $5,000 reservations for the Badger pickup even though there isn't a working prototype yet...If you know someone that's considering a deposit, be a good friend and stop them.

Nikola Motors, the defacto Tesla Motors copycat with a hydrogen twist, announced that they started taking $5,000 deposits for a pickup truck that only exists in renders and that they only plan to make due to Tesla Cybertruck.

While Nikola is the one suing Tesla for allegedly copying them, Nikola has definitely been following in Tesla’s footsteps.

Obviously, they decided to use Nikola Tesla’s first name after Tesla used the famed inventor’s last name. Also, after Tesla launched its “Tesla Energy” division, Nikola quickly followed with its own ‘Nikola Energy’.

Now that Tesla is making an electric pickup truck — the Cybertruck — Nikola is also making its own, and it’s directly related to the Cybertruck.

Before Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck last year, Trevor Milton, founder of Nikola Motors, tweeted renders of a pickup truck that the company created and suggested that Tesla could use those for the Cybertruck since Nikola didn’t plan to build a pickup truck.

The comment appeared to be tongue-in-cheek since Nikola is also accusing Tesla of stealing its design for its electric semi-truck.

However, after Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck and its polarizing design, Milton said that he now plans for Nikola to build the vehicle named Badger:

“We were not planning on it if he built a good looking truck. I was waiting to be first on the list, but I would never buy a Cybertruck. The Badger is what I was hoping Tesla would build design wise. So if he won’t, I will. Now our interest is sky high and why wouldn’t I?”

In February, they announced their plans for the Nikola Badger with a battery/fuel-cell hybrid powertrain enabling 600 miles of range, 0-60 mph acceleration in 2.9 seconds, and released a few renders:

Months later, we still haven’t seen a working prototype of the pickup truck, but today, the company decided to start taking reservations with deposits for the Badger.

Ironically, two years ago, Nikola made a big deal of reimbursing all reservations holders for its semi-trucks because it didn’t like to use deposits:

“Great news! All reservations will be refunded 100% and you won’t lose your place in line. We don’t use your money to operate our business. We want everyone to know we have never used a dollar of deposit money to operate the company on like other companies do.”

The mention of “other companies” was believed to be a jab at Tesla who is known to use this reservation model with deposits.

Nikola is now taking $5,000 deposits to reserve the pickup truck, which won’t be unveiled until December.

The company has also partnered with the Diesel Brothers from the Discovery TV show. The two brothers are going to get generous stock compensation for every Badger sold by Nikola, and with the latter’s valuation shooting up to $25 billion, the Diesel Brothers would receive millions if the pickup ever makes it to market.

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the deposit you should get a cardboard cutout to set up in your garage.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For that deposit you should be getting daily updates on how Nikola is progressing with the truck haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts