Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that with ACC/Driver+ enabled, the truck will stop behind traffic & start driving again on its own as long as your stopped for < 30 seconds.
But, if you come to an intersection where you’re the only car and have to stop (like at a traffic light or stop sign), you obviously have to hit the brakes which will cancel ACC/D+. All other cars with cruise control I have driven have a “resume” function, where after you start driving above a certain speed, you can resume the previous speed you were cruising at by a stalk gesture. I can’t find any mention of this feature in the owner’s guide, so I guess it’s not a thing?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I understand that with ACC/Driver+ enabled, the truck will stop behind traffic & start driving again on its own as long as your stopped for < 30 seconds.
But, if you come to an intersection where you’re the only car and have to stop (like at a traffic light or stop sign), you obviously have to hit the brakes which will cancel ACC/D+. All other cars with cruise control I have driven have a “resume” function, where after you start driving above a certain speed, you can resume the previous speed you were cruising at by a stalk gesture. I can’t find any mention of this feature in the owner’s guide, so I guess it’s not a thing?
It's not (or at least there is no physical resume button); each time you exit cruise control, you will have to get up to your desired speed again and activate it (or activate it and then use the right side right arrow button the steering wheel to increase to your desired setting).

It's almost as frustrating as having to tell Alexa to "resume music" every time you get back in the vehicle. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never use cruise control on surface streets where there are frequent stops for traffic control as well as variations in traffic speed. I only use cruise control when I'm on a highway and for extended driving. My Subaru has adaptive cruise control and it works really well for highway driving, as I'm sure will my Rivian . . . if I'm not too old to drive by the time of delivery.

But ACC is not for the stop and go of in town driving.

Still, even in highway use I sometimes have to brake and then resume cruise control. There can be no good reason for Rivian to lack the resume feature which has been fundamental to every cruise controlled car I've owned, rented, borrowed or even heard of for at least the last 40 years.

Hopefully they can fix this with an OTA, but they have to do whatever it takes to correct this thoughtless oversight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
While its inexplicable why resume is absent since it has been a standard cruise control feature for decades, getting back to speed and clicking the stalk down isn’t a big deal to me. I can’t say I will ever miss resume if it never makes an appearance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So frustrating to hear about stuff that functions on most every vehicle for the past 20 years, yet it doesn't work or does something differently on a Rivian. Why have we been patient with Rivian for the past 3-4 years after placing our reservations? For me it was because I thought they were ironing out bugs like this.

Yes, it's a small thing, but one would think a couple software engineers could handle basic cruise control functions. And what about the extensive testing to make sure things function properly. I guess we will all be beta testers for the next few years.
Makes me considerably less excited about getting my R1S someday (Sept 2019 reservation).

·
Registered
440 Posts
So frustrating to hear about stuff that functions on most every vehicle for the past 20 years, yet it doesn't work or does something differently on a Rivian. Why have we been patient with Rivian for the past 3-4 years after placing our reservations? For me it was because I thought they were ironing out bugs like this.

Yes, it's a small thing, but one would think a couple software engineers could handle basic cruise control functions. And what about the extensive testing to make sure things function properly. I guess we will all be beta testers for the next few years.
Makes me considerably less excited about getting my R1S someday (Sept 2019 reservation).
Why is it that for years and years of planning the new and Modern adventure vehicle with all the bells and whistles… seems to be missing so many things that other standard vehicles already have? Why is that?

POS phone charging system, and a POS bed cover. WTF?

·
Registered
Launch Edition
95 Posts
Why is it that for years and years of planning the new and Modern adventure vehicle with all the bells and whistles… seems to be missing so many things that other standard vehicles already have? Why is that?

POS phone charging system, and a POS bed cover. WTF?
Because they were trying to be innovative with something that is standard. New companies tend to try to reinvent every wheel. Sometimes it bites them in the butt. The coils for the wireless pad are badly laid out and the cover design works well in optimal circumstances only. The cruise control thing can be fixed with software, so I expect that one they get some big items out of the way they'll focus on some of these small things.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Because they were trying to be innovative with something that is standard. New companies tend to try to reinvent every wheel. Sometimes it bites them in the butt. The coils for the wireless bad are badly laid out and the cover design works well in optimal circumstances only. The cruise control thing can be fixed with software, so I expect that one they get some big items out of the way they'll focus on some of these small things.
What I’m pretty sure of is, if I took home a $90,000 plus new vehicle, made for adventure, and the dam bed cover broke right away due to a poor design, I be a little pissed. 1/3 of all delivered have already had problems. Terrible job Rivian.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What I’m pretty sure of is, if I took home a $90,000 plus new vehicle, made for adventure, and the dam bed cover broke right away due to a poor design, I be a little pissed. 1/3 of all delivered have already had problems. Terrible job Rivian.
Me too. Engineering is supposed to be Rivian's strength.
Maybe they were slow and deliberate in coming to market so 1/2 their delivered vehicles didn't have problems. LOL.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Me too. Engineering is supposed to be Rivian's strength.
Maybe they were slow and deliberate in coming to market so 1/2 their delivered vehicles didn't have problems. LOL.
Funny and true.

I remember watching videos of failing bed covers before the truck was released to real customers. The grinding and scratching sounds made me cringe.
you would have thought they would have fixed the issue BEFORE they releases the trucks to the public… but NOOOOOO

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or at least, made the ones they shipped “power tonneau-cabable” in order to accept a redesigned, field-installable version. At the end of the day, I don’t think that’ve been much more work for Rivian, but would’ve been a much better CX towards owners, versus…this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts