Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had seen this speculated but never confirmed, so I emailed Rivian directly to ask if they would be supporting one or both of these. TLDR: Nope, they won't. Their answer is below, and it's definitely disappointing,

"Thanks for reaching out! Our Adventure package comes standard with Rivian Elevation 360° featuring Alexa integration.

We believe to create a fully immersive audio experience for our community, an integrated platform optimized for Rivian was best. So, we will not be offering Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Some key benefits of Rivian Elevation 360° audio include speakers that are positioned at precise locations throughout the cabin – including four titanium dome speakers overhead – that creates a truly immersive experience. And you can take that experience anywhere you’d like with the removable Bluetooth speaker located in the center console.

We look forward to releasing more information about our infotainment systems as we move closer to production!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

See you on the road soon,"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Systems change all of the time. Not something that concerns me in the least. I have apple play in both of my vehicles and and barley bother with them. My free Sirius expired and by chance I left it on my prefered station and it is still playing. I'm easy to please. My Bolt hopefully will do the same.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally, I find both Apply Carplay and Android Auto pretty mediocre. I look forward to something well integrated to the vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hopefully they have something better. I use Waze all of the time! It would be a damn shame if I have to suction cup my phone to my windshield like I do in my 2013 truck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had seen this speculated but never confirmed, so I emailed Rivian directly to ask if they would be supporting one or both of these. TLDR: Nope, they won't. Their answer is below, and it's definitely disappointing,

"Thanks for reaching out! Our Adventure package comes standard with Rivian Elevation 360° featuring Alexa integration.

We believe to create a fully immersive audio experience for our community, an integrated platform optimized for Rivian was best. So, we will not be offering Apple Carplay or Android Auto.

Some key benefits of Rivian Elevation 360° audio include speakers that are positioned at precise locations throughout the cabin – including four titanium dome speakers overhead – that creates a truly immersive experience. And you can take that experience anywhere you’d like with the removable Bluetooth speaker located in the center console.

We look forward to releasing more information about our infotainment systems as we move closer to production!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

See you on the road soon,"
They’re just beating around the bush. The real answer is “Amazon gave us a buttload of money so we’re not allowed to put a competitor’s system in our vehicles.”

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was watching a video of a guy going thru his Tesla Model 3. He had his phone attached to the side of the 3's monitor. He made the comment he uses the phone for Waze.
I am really hoping that Rivian allows/integrates Waze somehow!
I noticed that the DOT map for Wisconsin roads has integrated Waze traffic info.For some reason reported police location is missing. :)

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
211 Posts
I agree with what most are saying. Apple Car Play and Android Auto are not that important. What matters is the ability to open apps like YouTube Music (for me at least) and Waze. If you can do that, I am good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with what most are saying. Apple Car Play and Android Auto are not that important. What matters is the ability to open apps like YouTube Music (for me at least) and Waze. If you can do that, I am good.
It is very unlikely Waze will write a port of their App to this tiny little infotainment platform that only has a few tens of thousands of users of which only a small percentage even care about Waze support.

So unless Rivian goes to the app developer and subsidizes the process, on an ongoing basis, you won't see a Rivian port of that app. That means you're stuck with the ones they pick for you.

This is the beauty of CarPlay/AA. You write two ports of your app to reach almost every car on the road.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is very unlikely Waze will write a port of their App to this tiny little infotainment platform that only has a few tens of thousands of users of which only a small percentage even care about Waze support.

So unless Rivian goes to the app developer and subsidizes the process, on an ongoing basis, you won't see a Rivian port of that app. That means you're stuck with the ones they pick for you.

This is the beauty of CarPlay/AA. You write two ports of your app to reach almost every car on the road.
But Waze works with Amazon Echo Auto. Granted, Echo Auto still run from your phone so it is a bit different. But I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon already have it on the works for Echo Auto. Check this article:

·
Registered
652 Posts
But Waze works with Amazon Echo Auto. Granted, Echo Auto still run from your phone so it is a bit different. But I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon already have it on the works for Echo Auto. Check this article:

That just plays instructions over the speaker, right? That's not even close to the same as CP/AA which will display the map on the vehicle screen and let you interact with touch controls.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That just plays instructions over the speaker, right? That's not even close to the same as CP/AA which will display the map on the vehicle screen and let you interact with touch controls.
Agree. That is why I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is working on something to make Echo Auto work similar to CP/AA. They have expanding Echo Auto capabilities. So maybe they are planning on a CP/AA competitor. At least I hope so.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
386 Posts
Rivian appears to be integrating Alexa into their custom infotainment system, not implementing Echo Auto. So I’m not convinced that Echo Auto features will be any more available from the Rivian system than CP or AA.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Okay. I asked them specifically about the app implementation:

• Bruno (me): I understand it won't have Android Auto or Apple Car Play. But my question is regarding apps. Like, would I be able to access my Youtube Music library?
  • Olivia (representative): That is a great question. We will be sharing more details around Rivian's infotainment system and the apps you will have access to as we get closer to production!
  • Bruno: Okay. Thanks. So there is a plan to integrate third party apps?
  • Olivia: I don't have access to that information at this time. But I am going to add it to my notes to ask if there have been any updates!

Well, at least is not a definite no. So I will keep hoping they will have third party app integration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts