Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
First post. Just wanted to share an update I received from Rivian Chat today - there will be no head-up display (a.k.a. HUD) on first generations of Rivians.

Does anybody potentially know of a decent aftermarket solution?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I’ve seen several aftermarket offerings, but they have all been terrible. I have HUD in my current vehicle, and although it’s useful, it’s not a dealbreaker, for me. If Rivian has great integration and presentation of information in the instrument cluster, then the HUD won’t matter.

Polarized sunglasses greatly reduce the visibility of the HUD, anyway.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
HUD might not happen at launch but at least the following I got from customer service will be. They also indicate (to me) that Rivian is headed towards include other tech we often see premiums in cars with HUD's.

Auto Dimming
Power Folding
Power Glass Adjust with Memory
High Gloss Arm and Base Body Color Cap
Puddle Lamps
Integrated Turn Signals
Blindspot indicator
Surround View Camera
Heated Mirror

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’ve seen several aftermarket offerings, but they have all been terrible. I have HUD in my current vehicle, and although it’s useful, it’s not a dealbreaker, for me. If Rivian has great integration and presentation of information in the instrument cluster, then the HUD won’t matter.

Polarized sunglasses greatly reduce the visibility of the HUD, anyway.
lol...you don't need polarized sunglasses in a vehicle, anyway...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I sure wish it had HUD...I love it and most everyone I know with it really loves it. Make it an option vs. a mandatory and I'll bet most people will opt for it provided the price isn't absurd.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh look, some random stranger on the internet that thinks they know ME better than myself or my doctor.

Move along, troll.
Only saying this because you've done the same to me - Not every response you don't like the content or attitude of makes someone a troll. Perhaps he doesn't understand what polarized sunglasses are actually for and why some of us (myself included) would still be wearing them inside a car. Either way, you could probably come up with a better response than calling someone a troll and mic dropping. Just a friendly suggestion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh look, some random stranger on the internet that thinks they know ME better than myself or my doctor.

Move along, troll.
Not a troll...trust me. I don't know you at all. No need to get hostile. Most people do not need to wear polarized lenses when driving their vehicle. You do and that's all you had to say instead of getting personal. I was not making a judgement on you or or your doctor. Back to the topic of HUD...it's a great feature and should be an option. For you, it's a no go...for many others, it'd be quite welcomed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Only saying this because you've done the same to me - Not every response you don't like the content or attitude of makes someone a troll. Perhaps he doesn't understand what polarized sunglasses are actually for and why some of us (myself included) would still be wearing them inside a car. Either way, you could probably come up with a better response than calling someone a troll and mic dropping. Just a friendly suggestion.
thank you...his kind of personal, condescending reply is really not necessary. By no means was I making a judgement on anyone. Thank you for noticing this.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Not a troll...trust me. I don't know you at all. No need to get hostile. Most people do not need to wear polarized lenses when driving their vehicle. You do and that's all you had to say instead of getting personal. I was not making a judgement on you or or your doctor. Back to the topic of HUD...it's a great feature and should be an option. For you, it's a no go...for many others, it'd be quite welcomed.
Exactly. You don't know me. So telling me I don't need to wear polarized sunglasses was unwarranted. Telling ANYONE they don't need polarized lenses when driving is unwarranted and unsubstantiated. The entire premise that "most people do not need to wear polarized lenses when driving" is unsubstantiated nonsense. I have no idea why you'd even make the assertion.

And FYI, I have a HUD in my current vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you for putting this out there. Commodore, I don’t know you except based on how you post. You frequently come across as hostile and condescending. I imagine that when people post on here they are sharing THEIR experiences and not attacking your personal choices or feelings. It is possible to respond without making personal attacks or trying to belittle the other person’s position. Just tone it down a little.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Exactly. You don't know me. So telling me I don't need to wear polarized sunglasses was unwarranted. Telling ANYONE they don't need polarized lenses when driving is unwarranted and unsubstantiated. The entire premise that "most people do not need to wear polarized lenses when driving" is unsubstantiated nonsense. I have no idea why you'd even make the assertion.

And FYI, I have a HUD in my current vehicle.
Most people understand that the majority of people who wear sunglasses in a car don't need to. This is by no means an attack on you of any kind. The windshields are made so that you do not need to wear sunglasses. If you have a condition that requires such a need, clarifying that without making ad hominen attacks might be a nicer way of approaching this. Your assumption that I was telling you what to do is unwarranted. If you note my original reply, it starts with 'lol'...I was being playful. I've found most people here very polite and friendly.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Most people understand that the majority of people who wear sunglasses in a car don't need to. This is by no means an attack on you of any kind. The windshields are made so that you do not need to wear sunglasses. If you have a condition that requires such a need, clarifying that without making ad hominen attacks might be a nicer way of approaching this. Your assumption that I was telling you what to do is unwarranted. If you note my original reply, it starts with 'lol'...I was being playful. I've found most people here very polite and friendly.
Ugh, you just don't get it and continue to make baseless assertions. Whatever, I'm going to add you to my ignore list now. Enjoy your life. I'm going to go back to enjoying mine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So the HUD
Are we discussing this
After doing research
Wow do you know about replacing windshields that use the HUD
After seeing cost related to HUD & other windshield sensors
I'm very good with out
Look up the process of getting a new BMW windshield with sensors
It's batsh__!
You have to completely empty the car have a certain amount of fuel in the tank
They have a special target board to align sensors
I certainly hope we don't have to deal with this kind of thing
I think RJ is smarter than that
I still cannot believe you have to do that just to replace a windshield

·
Registered
845 Posts
The only special requirement when replacing a windshield with HUD is to get the right windshield part number. They have a special coating to help reflect the HUD.

all the special procedures to recalibrate sensors is for the cameras used for driving assistance tech (rivian calls theirs driver+). That would be required even without HUD.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90, 2019 Acura RDX
23 Posts
We've grown accustomed to the HUD in or XC90, particularly the digital speedometer and current speed limit. Whether or not we miss it in the Rivian will depend on how information is presented on the screens, particularly the instrument screen behind the wheel. The lack of a digital speedometer readout on our RDX is annoying; Waze can display current speed (and speed limit) on the center display through CarPlay, but it's right there in your sightline in the XC90 with the HUD. (And of course it remains to be seen if Rivian will support Waze.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
We've grown accustomed to the HUD in or XC90, particularly the digital speedometer and current speed limit. Whether or not we miss it in the Rivian will depend on how information is presented on the screens, particularly the instrument screen behind the wheel. The lack of a digital speedometer readout on our RDX is annoying; Waze can display current speed (and speed limit) on the center display through CarPlay, but it's right there in your sightline in the XC90 with the HUD. (And of course it remains to be seen if Rivian will support Waze.)
Totally agree. I'm so used to the HUD in my Yukon that I never have a need to look down...plus, the other things you can look at (if you choose), are nice. I figured the HUD was a 'thing of the future' and all vehicles would have it. I'm surprised the Rivian doesn't. To me, it's functional and not just a luxury. This is a big miss, IMHO.

As far as not supporting Waze, that's a huge deal. I ONLY use Waze when I travel (for a lot of reasons). If the system does not support a lot of what I use, this may play into me ultimately getting the vehicle. Apple CarPlay is about on every vehicle now....I have no idea why they cannot support it. Waze is used by a lot of people. I hope Rivian sees the light...

·
Registered
100 Posts
So the HUD
Are we discussing this
After doing research
Wow do you know about replacing windshields that use the HUD
After seeing cost related to HUD & other windshield sensors
I'm very good with out
Look up the process of getting a new BMW windshield with sensors
It's batsh__!
You have to completely empty the car have a certain amount of fuel in the tank
They have a special target board to align sensors
I certainly hope we don't have to deal with this kind of thing
I think RJ is smarter than that
I still cannot believe you have to do that just to replace a windshield
there's nothing special about the windshield except the area where the projection goes. I have it on my Yukon and really would like it on any vehicle I purchase in the future. If the windshield breaks, I assume the replacement is a bit more expensive but nothing significant is required for a windshield with HUD capability...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts