Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if you all know, but Rivian just emailed all the max packers and told us they are no longer making the quad motor max pack. So tired of this.

So angry right now. So much bait and switching. Let’s go through the process here.
1) Rivian states back in 2018 that they are going to manufacture the MaxPack first—lies
2) Rivian continually gives max packers new dates for deliveries - lies
3) Rivian provides power tonneau - lies
4) Rivian provides prices - partial lies as they back track on uproar.
5) Rivian provides camp kitchen - lies
6) Rivian provides tent - lies
7) Rivian states explore package - lies
8) Rivian states quad max pack in 2024 — lies
9) Rivian states larger pack in R1S - lies
10) Rivian provides you gear for truck to be purchased with financing the vehicle - lies

Anything anyone else can think of?! Because I’ve pretty much had it.

· Registered
2 Posts
You are so completely correct. Finally got my R1T last week after 2 YEARS and 5 DAYS! I also experienced EVERY ONE of the issues you list. Consider adding the Rivian Guides are USELESS - I’ve had three now - always the same answer - “I can’t help you with that!”

· Registered
2020 Newmar King Aire & 2019 RAM Longhorn 1500
28 Posts
Not sure if you all know, but Rivian just emailed all the max packers and told us they are no longer making the quad motor max pack. So tired of this.

So angry right now. So much bait and switching. Let’s go through the process here.
1) Rivian states back in 2018 that they are going to manufacture the MaxPack first—lies
2) Rivian continually gives max packers new dates for deliveries - lies
3) Rivian provides power tonneau - lies
4) Rivian provides prices - partial lies as they back track on uproar.
5) Rivian provides camp kitchen - lies
6) Rivian provides tent - lies
7) Rivian states explore package - lies
8) Rivian states quad max pack in 2024 — lies
9) Rivian states larger pack in R1S - lies
10) Rivian provides you gear for truck to be purchased with financing the vehicle - lies

Anything anyone else can think of?! Because I’ve pretty much had it.
I‘be also had it! When I read the email yesterday, I cancelled my pre-order after all these years of waiting. I’ve completely lost confidence in Rivian management.

· Registered
692 Posts
Having been through the trials and tribulations of Tesla Model 3 launch, Rivian is doing as well or better than Tesla. First day depositor with Tesla and three years later got a car that is fun to drive, reliable with good range and charging system but a LOT of issues with the final product mostly in the area of automated safety systems and user interface. For me Rivian does not have the safety or user interface issues.

Other than the MaxPac 60 miles of extra range and the camp kitchen, everything on the list is available from third party suppliers.

Rivian price protected the early depositors (myself included) which Tesla and Ford did not do, more correctly Tesla and Ford, never provided a fixed price until delivery date.

If you've got a price protected order, you should get the vehicle and drive it for a month and if you really don't like it, you can resell for a nice profit.

My guess is that anyone who drives will not let it go.

· Registered
2 Posts
The lies keep coming!! Took delivery 1 week ago today - of course paid for a manual tonneau cover - no other choice. Was it delivered - nope! Just asked my guide about it and received this reply:

“Certainly, we are looking forward start fulfilling Manual tonneau cover shipments in early 2023. We will have more information coming soon.”

What the hell!?!?!?

· Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
94 Posts
What I don't get is why they're not offering the MaxPack with the 4 motors. According to the email we received just over a week ago, it'll be available to those getting the dual motor. Is there something that has changed in the MaxPack configuration? Is it a smaller pack than the touted 185kWh? Is there too much weight with the 4 motor despite the new MaxPack being more energy dense and probably weighs less? I just don't see that there's enough differences to make any sense of Rivian's current production direction.

I'm mulling over going with the Quad Large Pack, but at 525km range, it's okay but I also think it'll be an issue under less than ideal conditions (especially winter). If the MaxPack gets offered in 2024 I'm kinda okay with that. I can sit on a final decision for a little while as far as I'm concerned - the hope is some of the things that were removed might get added back in along with some iterative improvements (and hopefully nothing else gets removed in the meantime). Of course, the longer one waits, the greater the risk that re-pricing pressures will occur. C'est la vie.

· Registered
1 Posts
What I don't get is why they're not offering the MaxPack with the 4 motors. According to the email we received just over a week ago, it'll be available to those getting the dual motor. Is there something that has changed in the MaxPack configuration? Is it a smaller pack than the touted 185kWh? Is there too much weight with the 4 motor despite the new MaxPack being more energy dense and probably weighs less? I just don't see that there's enough differences to make any sense of Rivian's current production direction.

I'm mulling over going with the Quad Large Pack, but at 525km range, it's okay but I also think it'll be an issue under less than ideal conditions (especially winter). If the MaxPack gets offered in 2024 I'm kinda okay with that. I can sit on a final decision for a little while as far as I'm concerned - the hope is some of the things that were removed might get added back in along with some iterative improvements (and hopefully nothing else gets removed in the meantime). Of course, the longer one waits, the greater the risk that re-pricing pressures will occur. C'est la vie.
So I got the same e-mail and it pretty much confused me. It looks like they are trying get you away from the quad motor, max pack . By the way, what is the biggest difference between the quad and dual motors set up. I think they both offer all wheel drive? Anyway, later in the e-mail it seems you can still get the quad, max pack set up. Does anyone read that the same way I do ?

· Registered
Tesla Model Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Volt, Spark EV
95 Posts
Offering the dual motor setup has pulled me onboard to order the Rivian. The quad-motor setup is cool as a concept, but the dual-motor architecture is far simpler, weighs less, and is a very proven design (Tesla). Good move Rivian. 👍

· Registered
53 Posts
Just wanted to share i have the LE quad motor large pack.

i originally wanted a max pack due to range anxiety, but i have realized after 5k miles that the max pack would not make a difference to address range anxiety.

The solution is changing how i drive in setting my expectations to align with the charging infrastructure. I just have to think differently than i did with an ice engine. That means more planning upfront similar to doing a flight plan in an airplane on longer trips.

if I did it again, I would still get the quad motor. It is not just fun to drive, but I get where I need to go so much more quickly because of the increased torque. Especially in suburbia hell with lots of stoplights and stop signs it makes a difference.

· Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
94 Posts
So I got the same e-mail and it pretty much confused me. It looks like they are trying get you away from the quad motor, max pack . By the way, what is the biggest difference between the quad and dual motors set up. I think they both offer all wheel drive? Anyway, later in the e-mail it seems you can still get the quad, max pack set up. Does anyone read that the same way I do ?
You've got the same idea as me. Even if there's some clearance issues between the quad motor and the design of the MaxPacks, surely it was always targeted within Design to accommodate this configuration. I'm not buying the excuses on it thus far. The only true conclusion is that Rivian is deferring losses with the Quad/MaxPack until 2024. I can wait to see the outcome, but some of the ongoing issues and changes at Rivian have me concerned for the long term. I'm hoping that 2023 starts to show Rivian's true path, that they fix the issues, reimplement the accessories (especially the tonneau cover) and hopefully are listening to the early buyers in terms of refining the design going forward (redesign the wireless charge pad, tailgate camera, etc).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts