Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of ordering a new R1S but am unsure about this being a new vehicle from a new company. Just mainly concerned with reliability and support after the sale.

Anyway, I live in San Diego and this would be my daily driver (I only commute in to the office 3 days a week). I would like to keep my current car which is a convertible because my wife loves the convertible. Me, not so much. The car is fantastic on smooth roads but it is a performance car and it sucks on the bumpy roads I drive most of the time. Plus, I want something with some off-road capability. Was looking at the new Ford Bronco but the idea of an all electric vehicle is appealing to me and the Bronco is hard to come by and dealers are marking them up making them much less appealing. Also considering a Land Rover Defender but they aren't as posh as the Rivian and they are not very fuel efficient either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Newbie as well. Ordered R1S LA Silver Launch Edition. Extremely excited. Live in Becket, MA - Berkshire County with plenty of snow and ice and cold temps. Don't expect to get delivery until March (no proof) just being realistic and I am fine with it since hopefully they work out most of the bugs. Would love to hear what most are doing on the charging station in terms of manufacturer and ability to minimize charging time - is it possible to get a fast charger (150kW) charger for home installation? Thanks and really enjoying everyone's input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Newbie as well. Ordered R1S LA Silver Launch Edition. Extremely excited. Live in Becket, MA - Berkshire County with plenty of snow and ice and cold temps. Don't expect to get delivery until March (no proof) just being realistic and I am fine with it since hopefully they work out most of the bugs. Would love to hear what most are doing on the charging station in terms of manufacturer and ability to minimize charging time - is it possible to get a fast charger (150kW) charger for home installation? Thanks and really enjoying everyone's input.
No, it is not possible to get a Level 3 charger for your home typically. Even with a 400amp 240v main panel in your home the theoretical max would be 96kw to supply your entire house. 200amp panels are far more common and supply up to 48kw max for your entire house. Not to mention the price of a Level 3 charger and install would probably cost more than a typical house Itself.

i charge my Tesla Model 3 at a rate of 5kw (20amps) using the car’s mobile cable plugged into a 14-50NEMA in the garage usually. My commutes are usually within 40 miles/day so overnight charging is no problem at this rate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you fully recharge your car overnight? My neighbor across the street has a Tesla model Y and his son has a Tesla 3 and they alternate charging in their garage (both Teslas reside in the garage but they only have one charger). I commute about 70 miles daily round trip 3 days a week and work from home 2 days so the Rivian should work fine for me given its range. Would be nice to be able to charge it to 100% overnight though. My boss has a Mustang Mach-E and he charges from 12 midnight to 6AM.

I would like to be able to take the R1S and do some light off roading here in the desert. I do this probably once or twice a year but where we go is pretty remote so I would like something with some decent off road capability. Definitely want the SUV, not the pickup as I really have no use for a pickup.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
No, it is not possible to get a Level 3 charger for your home typically. Even with a 400amp 240v main panel in your home the theoretical max would be 96kw to supply your entire house. 200amp panels are far more common and supply up to 48kw max for your entire house. Not to mention the price of a Level 3 charger and install would probably cost more than a typical house Itself.

i charge my Tesla Model 3 at a rate of 5kw (20amps) using the car’s mobile cable plugged into a 14-50NEMA in the garage usually. My commutes are usually within 40 miles/day so overnight charging is no problem at this rate.
"Level 3" isn't an official standard, AFIK. It's just Level 1 and Level 2... Then there's DCFC (DC Fast Charging) which many people erroneously call "Level 3".

There are a few DCFC solutions that can be installed in a home, on single-phase 240V AC. The Delta DC Wallbox EV charger is one example. It can output 25kW -- more than double the maximum Level 2 charging accepted by Rivian.

This would be overkill for most people, however.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you fully recharge your car overnight? My neighbor across the street has a Tesla model Y and his son has a Tesla 3 and they alternate charging in their garage (both Teslas reside in the garage but they only have one charger). I commute about 70 miles daily round trip 3 days a week and work from home 2 days so the Rivian should work fine for me given its range. Would be nice to be able to charge it to 100% overnight though. My boss has a Mustang Mach-E and he charges from 12 midnight to 6AM.

I would like to be able to take the R1S and do some light off roading here in the desert. I do this probably once or twice a year but where we go is pretty remote so I would like something with some decent off road capability. Definitely want the SUV, not the pickup as I really have no use for a pickup.
As might be aware, you shouldn’t charge to 100% every day in practice on an EV. I charge my Model 3 to about 75% daily unless I know I am going on a road trip. Going to 100% every charge might decrease your long term battery life. The Rivian wall charger ($500 option at car purchase) can supply 11.5kw and charge at a rate of 25 miles per hour according to their website.

FYI, last week a Tesla Model s (rental lol) did the Cannonball Run and set the new record for an EV. They cut down on charging times by keeping the battery between 10%-50% the whole time. Fast chargers slow down the charge rate greatly as the battery fills up if you didn’t know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.