Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to provide perspective on the anti-Rivian, the feature-overloaded Grand Wagoneer: 7 displays, cooler, massaging seats and plenty more.

This all-things-to-all-people approach seems insane to me. It's a textbook example of feature overload. It doesn't scream luxury, more like a 12-year-old designing a Sim-Car. The undoubtedly gas-guzzling top-end version doesn't even have EPA estimates yet.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The screen in the passenger dash is tacky. Otherwise, I think they're going a good job. What's wrong with massaging seats?

I also don't understand your attempted insult regarding fuel economy. The vehicle isn't out yet... Not having EPA estimates is not surprising.

We haven't seen EPA estimates for Rivian, yet, either.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
But does it have nice mesh door pockets? :LOL:

Reactions: Fpartida

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The screen in the passenger dash is tacky. Otherwise, I think they're going a good job. What's wrong with massaging seats?

I also don't understand your attempted insult regarding fuel economy. The vehicle isn't out yet... Not having EPA estimates is not surprising.

We haven't seen EPA estimates for Rivian, yet, either.
Yeesh, not sure why you're taking this so personally. There was no "insult" just surprise that they're going in a larger-displacement direction as opposed to hybrid boost. As for the other features, there's not a thing "wrong" with any of them but every single one adds to complexity and cost of repair. And three displays for the driver seems genuinely goofy. The whole point of an LED display is that it can serve any function as needed, so a dedicated display for the cabin environment is a backwards step. My point was that for every person here wondering why Rivian didn't include just one more thing that they were hoping for, the opposite can be true. A swiss army knife interior feature set can be just as problematic.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yeesh, not sure why you're taking this so personally. There was no "insult" just surprise that they're going in a larger-displacement direction as opposed to hybrid boost. As for the other features, there's not a thing "wrong" with any of them but every single one adds to complexity and cost of repair. And three displays for the driver seems genuinely goofy. The whole point of an LED display is that it can serve any function as needed, so a dedicated display for the cabin environment is a backwards step. My point was that for every person here wondering why Rivian didn't include just one more thing that they were hoping for, the opposite can be true. A swiss army knife interior feature set can be just as problematic.
If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'd rather have more features (when done well) than fewer.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The 5.7L V8 hybrid is pretty interesting. I think it's a mild hybrid but I'm curious to see how it affects performance and fuel economy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The 5.7L V8 hybrid is pretty interesting. I think it's a mild hybrid but I'm curious to see how it affects performance and fuel economy.
It's super-duper-mild. From what I've read, it has negligible benefit to fuel economy. The primary benefit seems to be making the automatic engine stop/start system more pleasant to live with, as you can get off the line without feeling the "jolt" that so many other vehicles have when the engine restarts.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It's super-duper-mild. From what I've read, it has negligible benefit to fuel economy. The primary benefit seems to be making the automatic engine stop/start system more pleasant to live with, as you can get off the line without feeling the "jolt" that so many other vehicles have when the engine restarts.
Too bad it's nothing more than that. For a SUV of its size and price that makes sense. Apparently both the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are bigger than the standard Navigator and Escalade.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Too bad it's nothing more than that. For a SUV of its size and price that makes sense. Apparently both the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer are bigger than the standard Navigator and Escalade.
Bigger in what way? I assume longer? There are two Escalade models -- regular and ESV. Same difference as Tahoe vs. Suburban.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Bigger in what way? I assume longer? There are two Escalade models -- regular and ESV. Same difference as Tahoe vs. Suburban.
Yeah I'm talking about the regular Escalade not the ESV.

2022 Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer:

Length - 214.7 inches
Width - 83.6 inches (without mirrors)
Height - 75.6 inches
Wheelbase - 123 inches

2021 Escalade (standard model):

Length - 211 inches
Width - 81 inches
Height - 76.4 inches
Wheelbase - 120.9 inches

·
Registered
799 Posts
So Escalade ESV/Suburban is still longer... And the width of the Lincoln Aviator (considered to be smaller than the Navigator by everyone I've ever met) is listed as 82.3" despite the Navigator being listed as 79.9" width.

I see this as a big nothing-burger.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
So Escalade ESV/Suburban is still longer... And the width of the Lincoln Aviator (considered to be smaller than the Navigator by everyone I've ever met) is listed as 82.3" despite the Navigator being listed as 79.9" width.

I see this as a big nothing-burger.
It has a lot to prove in a segment that already offers enough. I wonder what sales will be like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks to me like it would be an amazing family road trip machine, especially if you want to explore off the beaten path in the West where high-speed chargers are few and far between.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts