·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Massive wheelbase
Excellent implementation of connectivity features, LEDs & displays
Thoughtful interior with $hitTon of room
Super fast charging
Meh on the acceleration, but decent range with that charging!
1 or 2 wheel drive motor options for AWD
20" wheels
This ain't your grandpappy's Hyundai:

I would buy one of those before a Tesla ALL DAY LONG (if I wanted an electric car).

Even though Hyundai won't necessarily be gunning for Rivian's core demographic out of the gate with this vehicle, this thing was built for the masses and will set some high bars and set high consumer expectations related to more "standard"EV features (which is good for all of us). Hyundai is smart in packaging the IONIQ with solar, home battery systems and chargers.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Definitely a bigger threat to Tesla rather than Rivian.

my Model Y test drive was underwhelming. Other manufacturers have a real opportunity to give Tesla a hard time. I don’t think Elon is the right person to lead Tesla at this time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Nissan Ariya is also one to watch at the mid-price level. We've been leasing a succession of Rogues over the last 8 years or so. Boringly reliable, but in a good - and very affordable - way. This promises to continue that tradition.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
309 Posts
Definitely nice. It also highlights the smart move of Rivian into the adventure market. There’s just less competition in there. Sure Jeep is coming up with something and the hummer is there for the very high end, but it is way less competitive in general.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The Nissan Ariya is also one to watch at the mid-price level. We've been leasing a succession of Rogues over the last 8 years or so. Boringly reliable, but in a good - and very affordable - way. This promises to continue that tradition.
"Reliable" is not an adjective I'd use to describe the Rogue -- or Nissan, in general. You're leasing them, so you're probably not subjected to their catastrophic failures... But the CVTs Nissan uses are awful and it's common for them to grenade around 70-100k miles.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This thing continues to impress me (for the class that it is in --> Crossover)... Really love all the pixelated design elements too. Kudos to the Hyundai team. And, given I know some of their mobility team and the work that they have done, I would expect that the digital experience will be First Class from a connected car standpoint. Watch out Tesla.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Definitely a bigger threat to Tesla rather than Rivian.

my Model Y test drive was underwhelming. Other manufacturers have a real opportunity to give Tesla a hard time. I don’t think Elon is the right person to lead Tesla at this time.
Yes I don‘t like the path Tesla is headed down right now.
‘’sorry, but I want quality for my dollars.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Funny how Hyundai didn't have trouble sourcing passenger electric seat adjustment I.C.'s (chips) like Elon claimed as the reason for going to manual passenger seats on the Model3 and Model Y.

Nice car overall. I would have liked to see more on the tech underneath the skin..

800 VDC charging = 10% to 80% charge in 18min..... sweet!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hyundai/Kia have other models in the wings that will be more direct competitors for Rivian, the Ioniq7 and the EV9 respectively. The EV9 is roughly the same size as the current Telluride, and retains the Land Rover-like exterior of that model. Both could be competition for the R1S.

Both are expected to be available late next year as 2024 models. It's not clear if there will be extended range versions of either model, so their projected 300 mile range could prove to be a liability. The 800 kW capable fast charging system (80% charge in 20-30 mins at current 350 kW chargers, as little as 10 mins once higher wattage systems come on-line) could mitigate range concerns a bit however.

At $55 - $65k, the EV9 could be a significantly less expensive alternative to the R1S, though with much less off-road capability.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I test drove the Ioniq 5 and EV6. Wasn't really impressed with either of them, although I did like the EV6 over the Ioniq 5. I may have considered it over my Tesla if only the dealerships weren't marking them up so much ($10-15k in my area)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I looked at the EV6 to replace one of my other ICE cars but wasn't very impressed. Main issue was the lack of space. As far as the Rivian-I can't think of another "armageddon" car that's better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts