Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Would you like a off road gear recommendation list for Rivian?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have assembled & bought the gear for taking Rivian off road. The Rivian Recovery Kit is a good start, but was only about 1/3 of what one needs. Wondering if anyone is interested in me sharing the list/explaining the gear.

I didn't find anything in the manual, so thought this might help others interested in gearing up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trying to decide if it is worthwhile to do a video and explain the gear or just share the list. given your response, Here is the list link: www.realidn.com/gear

I’m heading out for some offroading today, so here is the quick pics gear by layer and storage location. I might move stuff around based on more experience:
Under rear seat:
Shovels,
Tire repair
Backpack and sleeping bag

Sleeve Yellow Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Layer 1: 4 maxtrax on top,
first aid kit on tunnel door, compressor hose and gauge in other.
Rivian Recovery Gear kit in bag on top, accessible from

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle

Layer 2: if i have to winch out, or need dynamic snatch straps, this is the gear I am digging down to. I followed MotorTrends 4ton come along + snatch block approach. i got extra dampeners (3 in total) because i find the power puller the weak link. Hopefully, I’ll never have to use it, but if I do, I’ll use all three dampeners.

I have 2 walkie talkies to make recovery coms easier. I added 2 shackles in case i am pulling out someone else and they don’t have their own - and in case some rigging config requires an extra shackle. I also added 1 more soft shackle - rivian offroad recovery comes with 2, which would be used on the front, but connecting the strap to the tow line, i think, would require one more. I plan to layout the gear, check max break, and consider best configurations.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Gas

Not shown: plenty of room in frunk, some emergency water & beef sticks added below the tray. Also in center console, InReach Mini because if all else fails, and I don’t have cell signal, I still have a way to communicate with my POC that I share my trip plans with… or for emergency SOS situation.

I’m also picking up a fire extinguisher. I have adventure level protection, and know that a battery fire can’t be easily stopped (certinaly not with one fire extinguisher), but one could reduce chance of a fire spreading to brush, or perhaps another ICE catches fire, it will be helpful.

I put all this gear up on a domain I had lying around (www.realidn.com) and if there is interest in demonstration the gear and explaining / debating alternative approaches, chime in and I’ll make some videos, and we can discuss in RivianOwners a Rivian Best Practices gear and guide.

In Portland Area, I’m headed to Ladee Flat today. Browns Camp was last week. Headed to Tahoe next month, and to ancient Bristlecone Pine and last remaining glacier in Nevada - if anyone wants to join, lets get some Rivian Rallies going. (Glaciers / Glacial Features - Great Basin National Park (U.S. National Park Service))

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
you have a fairly good list

I would ditch carrying a bunch of extra water and just carry a filter. That way you have clean water forever. Everyone should own an MSR guardian filter, I keep one at the house and one in my truck all summer. For a smaller less expensive filter I used life straws for years but have transitioned to the MSR trail shot as it is small but more versatile.

For kinetic ropes, soft shackles, and snatch straps bubba ropes are the gold standard. And never use hard shackles with a kinetic.

also if you are going anywhere by yourself with sand I’d want a pull-pal, deadman, or WASP. Especially since the rivian is heavy witha poor tire set up (short sidewall even with the 20”).

Only thing you really left out is first aide. First aide kit with trauma and CAT straps and know how to use it. NAR is the easy source for high quality Products With A Mission | North American Rescue

lastly if you are camping consider a compact axe (~20-24”) and fold out saw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I would ditch carrying a bunch of extra water and just carry a filter. That way you have clean water forever. Everyone should own an MSR guardian filter, I keep one at the house and one in my truck all summer. For a smaller less expensive filter I used life straws for years but have transitioned to the MSR trail shot as it is small but more versatile.

For kinetic ropes, soft shackles, and snatch straps bubba ropes are the gold standard. And never use hard shackles with a kinetic.

also if you are going anywhere by yourself with sand I’d want a pull-pal, deadman, or WASP. Especially since the rivian is heavy witha poor tire set up (short sidewall even with the 20”).

Only thing you really left out is first aide. First aide kit with trauma and CAT straps and know how to use it. NAR is the easy source for high quality Products With A Mission | North American Rescue

Awesome tips... checking out your recos now to order. Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Which do you think is best: pull-pal, or WASP? I noticed not much to anchor on in some of the high desert.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Which do you think is best: pull-pal, or WASP? I noticed not much to anchor on in some of the high desert.
Pull pal is the original and what all else are compared to. I have one. I have a buddy with a WASP but has only used it in the snow. Pull pal is the heaviest and more expensive, WASP is lightest and one of the least expensive. ARB makes a nice middle of the road one.

a sort of last resort and old trick is to take off your spare, hook it to the winch and bury it 3’ under the sand.

·
Registered
401 Posts
So on another thread I learned that you need some special lift pads (and hockey pucks are too big?). Is that true? If so a bummer for off roading since probably won’t work with a hi-lift jack. Are there special pads, anyone have pictures of the Jack lift points?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So on another thread I learned that you need some special lift pads (and hockey pucks are too big?). Is that true? If so a bummer for off roading since probably won’t work with a hi-lift jack. Are there special pads, anyone have pictures of the Jack lift points?
I created a video where I lifted the R1T and found what you have to remove to skip the hockey pucks. This video might be helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pull pal is the original and what all else are compared to. I have one. I have a buddy with a WASP but has only used it in the snow. Pull pal is the heaviest and more expensive, WASP is lightest and one of the least expensive. ARB makes a nice middle of the road one.

a sort of last resort and old trick is to take off your spare, hook it to the winch and bury it 3’ under the sand.
Yikes, digging a 3' hole -- that really is a great advertisement for one of these devices. The R1T really needs a winch. I am adding Pull Pal to my list and placing the order.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts