Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could probably ask this question anytime, but today happens to be the 1 month marker since the IPO and things seem to have levelled out. After that initial rocket ride and plummet (I don't know stock terms, lol), not much seems to have happened.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Line

This all makes me wonder if now is a good time to get in. Again, I'm not an investing expert in any way, but it seems like if the stock was going to tank, it would have by now(?), and I still have a lot of faith that the company is going to do good things, and hopefully the stock reflects that?
What do you all think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The first earnings report is next Monday, after the market close. I would wait but that's me. I expect high expectations and have no idea what they will deliver..

Long term, I believe its fine as a current stock holder. Here's an IBD report.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you believe in the future of EV's, think RIVN has a first mover advantage in a segment that has not yet been tapped (with a large TAM), believe that RIVN can withstand the pressures of extreme competition from the more slow-moving and less adaptable OEM's that still have pressures from ICE interests, and you have a high risk tolerance with an understanding that profit margins are not what will drive RIVN stock prices upward in the near term, and you have read the S-1, then the answer is a DEFINITE MAYBE....

You also need to consider that there is no magic bullet to solving the supply chain challenge, and that the labor market is not going to get any easier in the new economy. Does RIVN have enough automation? Will their production rates increase as automation is improved and implemented? What happens if there is a massive Lithium shortage or you can't get Bosch parts or suddenly all of these new Pirelli tires start blowing out on the highway and there is a class action law-suit?

I'm not saying any of this is likely or unlikely to happen, but there are thousands of variables and there are also macro-economic factors that could suddenly impact the stock price. If you are like a lot of us, and do see this as the future (and if EV's are clearly now being developed by all OEM's) then it is a good bet. I just wouldn't want to make the bet for a significant amount of money without that lens and without a higher risk tolerance. ETF's focused on clean energy or EV's could be a safer bet than throwing all of your money at 1 stock of course.

Personally, I jumped at the chance to get in on the ground floor with the IPO. I only hold a dozen or so stocks at a time (the rest being in funds or retirement plans and allocated across sectors and investment types), as well as in some real estate (that has done extremely well over the last decade historically). But, this is a company I believe in. Earnings is coming, if you believe that the IPO drove a ton of new order volume (which it could have) and you think production ramp is going well, it could be a good bet to get in now (before earnings).

All of that said, I am not a financial advisor LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
The first earnings report is next Monday, after the market close. I would wait but that's me. I expect high expectations and have no idea what they will deliver..

Long term, I believe its fine as a current stock holder. Here's an IBD report.

You mean "first losses report." No earnings happening for several years.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You mean "first losses report." No earnings happening for several years.
Welp, it's still called an earnings report, and it's still called an earnings report for every other IPO company that has ever existed, and since profits aren't what drove the initial pricing at the IPO, I would suggest that profitably (or lack thereof) likely isn't going to be the focus of this call. The focus will be on the path to profitability, and all of the factors leading to that outcome at some distant point in the future. The focus won't be on losses, but it might be on investments. You sorta kinda have to spend money to make money if you want to build a car company.

I would imagine that external factors like this type of news from competitors could have an impact on stock prices moving forward: F-150 Lightning reservations are so huge Ford had to stop taking them

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.