Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Administrator
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anybody else run into this? I will research something for days, sometimes weeks or even months, before buying it, ESPECIALLY when it's a big commitment. I get a sense of the bigger issues I might run into, only to be surprised by something small! Sometimes it's easier to find out about big problems or inconveniences than the little ones.

What's one thing you wish you had known before buying your Rivian?

~MR 😊

· Registered
Rivian R1T Adventure Edition
19 Posts
I got my truck about 7 months ago. I wish I had stuck with my original plan to buy the 20" AT wheels instead of the 21". I had an opportunity to get my truck earlier than expected and didn't want to wait for the 20" AT wheel package. I figured I would just swap the tires for something more AT and snow capable in the future. I didn't know at the time that there was only one tire option available. I ended up buying a second set of wheels last week. The additional costs is a little frustrating, but I'm happier with the AT for my lifestyle. At least I have a spare now!

· Registered
810 Posts
They need to tie into Apple Carplay. Also ...
The title of this thread is "One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Buying". Leaving aside the fact that you listed two things, did you REALLY not know that CarPlay wasn't included? I don't see how that's possible. It's been public knowledge for three years now that Rivian wasn't including CarPlay, and the forums are rife with posts about this - hard to miss that fact if you've done any reading at all before shelling out $80k+ for a vehicle. Please don't turn this into yet another thread hijacked to complain about CarPlay.

In response to the OP - I have not yet encountered anything unexpected that I didn't know about before I bought my R1T.

· Registered
20 Posts
The title of this thread is "One Thing You Wish You Knew Before Buying". Leaving aside the fact that you listed two things, did you REALLY not know that CarPlay wasn't included? I don't see how that's possible. It's been public knowledge for three years now that Rivian wasn't including CarPlay, and the forums are rife with posts about this - hard to miss that fact if you've done any reading at all before shelling out $80k+ for a vehicle. Please don't turn this into yet another thread hijacked to complain about CarPlay.

In response to the OP - I have not yet encountered anything unexpected that I didn't know about before I bought my R1T.
There's always some literalist smartass. Folks are just listing things they wish they had, not just what they wish they had known.

· Registered
20 Posts
No, what some "folks" are doing is using every opportunity possible to post selfish whines about CarPlay. We get it, you want your binky. We don't have to hear about it in every unrelated thread. If it's that all-consuming important to you then maybe you should have purchased a different car.
And some folks can't resist posting selfish whines about other people's whines. Maybe you should have been on a different site. For myself, I don't use Carplay or Android Auto and never have, but I do miss seeing text messages show up on my vehicle screen as they did on my Chevy truck with just my phone paired and no special app. I didn't anticipate losing that feature.

· Registered
82 Posts
Now I know why my fellow Rivian owner friend calls these forums Anti-social media.
I discovered yesterday that I can’t run my 15 amp chop saw off the 110v outlets. I guess it’s only an adventure vehicle after all. Perhaps Rivian will follow Ford’s lead and provide more 110v amps at the truck and two way power so we can run our houses off the truck when the power goes down.

· Registered
17 Posts

Anybody else run into this? I will research something for days, sometimes weeks or even months, before buying it, ESPECIALLY when it's a big commitment. I get a sense of the bigger issues I might run into, only to be surprised by something small! Sometimes it's easier to find out about big problems or inconveniences than the little ones.

What's one thing you wish you had known before buying your Rivian?

~MR 😊
How awesome this vehicle really is so I could have ordered it sooner!

· Registered
6 Posts

Wow, you went negative FAST ! I never once said I regret the vehicle overall. I had no intent to hijack anything as you claimed. Be responsible in your replies, and the heading asked for opinions. Merry Christmas, wishing you some cheer in the world.

· Registered
38 Posts
I got my truck about 7 months ago. I wish I had stuck with my original plan to buy the 20" AT wheels instead of the 21". I had an opportunity to get my truck earlier than expected and didn't want to wait for the 20" AT wheel package. I figured I would just swap the tires for something more AT and snow capable in the future. I didn't know at the time that there was only one tire option available. I ended up buying a second set of wheels last week. The additional costs is a little frustrating, but I'm happier with the AT for my lifestyle. At least I have a spare now!
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but have a question regarding this exact process. I also planned on saving $3,500 and going with the standard 21” wheels and tires and then purchasing 20” A/T W&T aftermarket. Did you end up spending more than $3,500? Also, did I understand correctly from another post that I need to go to a SC to reprogram the truck each time I swap out wheels?

· Registered
5 Posts
How long it would take to get a service appointment. My R1S was delivered with a frustrating software problem that causes the battery to discharge rapidly, so the vehicle is barely usable as it requires far more trips to a rapid charger than it should. My local service department doesn't have an opening for two months, so it's just going to remain parked for most of the winter.
Following (closely)- My RIS is being shipped shortly and this thread is quite disturbing.

· Registered
13 Posts
They need to tie into Apple Carplay. Also figure out a way to join the Tesla Supercharge Network (I'm fine with paying the fees for usage) since that network is so mature to drive the country and has fast charing for long trips.
But you knew about both of those things before you bought it didn’t you? This thread is about stuff that surprised you or you DIDN’T know before buying it.

· Registered
3 Posts
I wish I had known that the Cruise Control did not have a resume function. I know stupid small thing, but I use cruise quite a bit, especially in lower speed situations to help keep me from going over in residential areas, especially with a truck that is a one of a kind (so far) for my area. I try not to be that guy. Far from a deal breaker, but would have been nice to know.

· Registered
5 Posts

you seem triggered by this, maybe just move to the next comment

1 - 20 of 41 Posts