Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I resisted dismissing this video as clickbait and watched it. Pretty interesting. I am dismayed at the inconsistency in charging for non-Teslas and I am very impressed with Tesla's charging network. I wonder if EV charging companies are holding back fixing the infrastructure until the "next generation" (800 volt?) is widely adopted by car manufacturers.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Not these bozos again ... In previous videos it was clear that they hadn't even RTFM because they kept pointing out "missing" features as faults of the Rivian, whereas in actuality what was missing was their ability as reviewers.

I honestly tried to watch this. Went at 2x speed through the first 7 minutes of self-promotion, and it was still painful, but then I got to their first complaint:
  • You can't reset the Rivian computer system while driving.
I mean, what's the point of watching after that ... Yeah, right, I should be able to reboot my car while driving autonomously down the highway at 70 mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Waiting on my R1S since I believe it has lot more function and value than model X . Currently a model 3 owner and have such good experiences with supercharger network on my road trips. Haven't checked out non Tesla charger network or tgeir reviews till now and boy do the reviews Suck! Rivian needs to focus on this critical price of infrastructure

·
Registered
516 Posts
Waiting on my R1S since I believe it has lot more function and value than model X . Currently a model 3 owner and have such good experiences with supercharger network on my road trips. Haven't checked out non Tesla charger network or tgeir reviews till now and boy do the reviews Suck! Rivian needs to focus on this critical price of infrastructure
Do some research before mouthing off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No need to be rude . Read my post . I like everything about the rivian and the company and eagerly waiting on my R1S . Tesla model x has way less function than a r1s . Looks like you got a problem looking at criticism. On the road go charging is not a trivial problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rivian should buy into the TESLA supercharging network AND use their form factor for charging. It is more elegant and compact. Elon said it was open for use by others willing to buy into the infrastructure they have built. It would cement the Rivian brand.
I think Tesla is holding off on other evs using their network in us exactly due to their advantage. Great idea though

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ditto!! Had a Model X and sold it when I got an Early Model 3. Kept the Suburban since the X wasn’t a real SUV. Will be taking a test drive at the Phoenix Service Center next week. I’m sure I will like it enough to replace the Suburban. And I’m keeping the Model 3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ditto!! Had a Model X and sold it when I got an Early Model 3. Kept the Suburban since the X wasn’t a real SUV. Will be taking a test drive at the Phoenix Service Center next week. I’m sure I will like it enough to replace the Suburban. And I’m keeping the Model 3.
Exactly..model X is not a real SUV. on the charging note I think rivians advertised range is closer to real world range than a Tesla .

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm sure that Tesla had some teething pains relative to charging with their first models so I'm inclined to discount the issue of Rivian compatibility that these reviewers raise. Even if it is an issue at present, I'm sure it will get fixed relatively quickly.

More concerning to me is the status of the non-Tesla charging network. It clearly is in need of both more locations and better interface with the various vehicles that need to use them. This is a particularly important issue for me as I plan to tow, and even though my load is a fairly light and relatively aerodynamic teardrop, it looks like I will see something on the order of 1.0 mi/kWh. That means an effective range while towing of perhaps 120 miles. The charging network is absolutely key to being able to get to the many places in the US and Canada we'd like to go to.

I suspect that many of us towing campers will be pretty limited in our travel venues until closer to the end of the decade when the charging network across North America [hopefully] gets built out.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
275 Posts
Tesla has stated they will start offering the standard charge connector in America, but that will take time. Of course the charging network needs to be built out and made solid, this is a relatively new thing. I also think it depends on usage. For the most part I will be charging at home, in the order of 90% so it doesn't matter to me.

·
Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
21 Posts
I own a Model S and a Chevy Bolt and have personally used both Superchargers and non-superchargers. I have no concerns about charging my future R1S. In my experience in the real world EA has worked well and never left me not charged. My kids have used EA, no problems and planning to road trip the Bolt after we get the battery replaced this summer. Superchargers are still better because of the plug and play functionality more so than location or reliability. With forums, and Youtube, the positive experiences are less likely to be posted. Even though negative experiences are far more likely to get written about there have been a lot of thread about successful road trips with limited or no charging problems. InisideEVs, Out of Spec Reviews and TFL have all road tripped non-Teslas, sometimes with glitches but successfully. Tesla still has an advantage but not as much as a lot of people think. In my experience, fast charging hasn't been an issue for our Bolt.

·
Registered
516 Posts
ditto with my I-Pace
lots of road trips
the R1S will make them even better
[and btw tesla's proprietary connector is already on its way out in Europe, and will be here too]
[disclaimer: I don't tow! so less sensitive to density of charger network]
[and of course, the more charging resources the better; there's a thread on what the Biden administration is planning on this forum]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tesla has stated they will start offering the standard charge connector in America, but that will take time. Of course the charging network needs to be built out and made solid, this is a relatively new thing. I also think it depends on usage. For the most part I will be charging at home, in the order of 90% so it doesn't matter to me.
IMO Tesla is dragging its feet on making its network available to all EVs in the USA. I would recommend that Joe Bidden use emergency power to force Tesla to make this happen much faster.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
IMO Tesla is dragging its feet on making its network available to all EVs in the USA. I would recommend that Joe Bidden use emergency power to force Tesla to make this happen much faster.
That’s a bit extreme. Why should the government have the authority to force a private company who’s invested billions of private dollars into something for their customers to open it up to everyone? Although I’d love to have access to Tesla’s supercharger network, I don’t think it’s the government’s job to force them to do it unless they are doing it with public money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ditto with my I-Pace
lots of road trips
the R1S will make them even better
[and btw tesla's proprietary connector is already on its way out in Europe, and will be here too]
[disclaimer: I don't tow! so less sensitive to density of charger network]
[and of course, the more charging resources the better; there's a thread on what the Biden administration is planning on this forum]
tesla is maneuvering to get some of the EA grant money which they are deserving of! Being non-union makes it difficult with the present administration!

·
Registered
133 Posts
That’s a bit extreme. Why should the government have the authority to force a private company who’s invested billions of private dollars into something for their customers to open it up to everyone? Although I’d love to have access to Tesla’s supercharger network, I don’t think it’s the government’s job to force them to do it unless they are doing it with public money.
Because it is a matter of national security and the whole country will benefit greatly from it. Telsa will benefit from it since it will bring them revenue from non-Tesla EVs. Tesla has said they intend to open their network, the question is how fast they should do it. Tesla is doing it in Europe much faster than in the USA and I don't think that is right for a company that is based in the USA. IMO they need to do it in the USA at least as fast as they are doing it in Europe.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts