Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope others do the same to show their displeasure and that Rivian should have had more respect for long time reservation holders.

Received an e-mail at 7:01 that my account had been updated. Printed out my configuration earlier today, was at $78,000. Now, it's $94,600. Over a $16,000 increase. Just wrong.

The only way Rivian feels it is if others cancel as well.

For all those figuring they will cancel, but are going to wait, that just allows Rivian to keep your cash that much longer for something that's inevitable anyway. Glad I sold my stock earlier too.

So sad. Hadn't been this excited about a vehicle in nearly forever. Glad I was smart and hedged my bets with other reservations. The Rivian had appeal, with its sacrifices at $78,000. At over $95,000, not willing to compromise.

Best of luck to all of you. Was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for nothing Rivian!

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
WTF? The prices for all of you folks who had a preorders was never locked in? Oh man, I had no idea. If I had, then I definitely would've been expecting a major price increase based on Tesla and F150 Lightning pricing. That really sucks! Well. at least those that stick with Rivian will likely get their vehicles way sooner. I predict thousands of cancellations.

·
Registered
504 Posts
^ FWIW- we did not have "pre-orders" we had a "reservation" to place an order at a later date. An order can only be placed once your reservation number is called. So, no... prices were not locked in for reservation holders. They were only locked in for those who had already officially ordered (in most cases).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hope others do the same to show their displeasure and that Rivian should have had more respect for long time reservation holders.

Received an e-mail at 7:01 that my account had been updated. Printed out my configuration earlier today, was at $78,000. Now, it's $94,600. Over a $16,000 increase. Just wrong.

The only way Rivian feels it is if others cancel as well.

For all those figuring they will cancel, but are going to wait, that just allows Rivian to keep your cash that much longer for something that's inevitable anyway. Glad I sold my stock earlier too.

So sad. Hadn't been this excited about a vehicle in nearly forever. Glad I was smart and hedged my bets with other reservations. The Rivian had appeal, with its sacrifices at $78,000. At over $95,000, not willing to compromise.

Best of luck to all of you. Was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for nothing Rivian!
I don’t think they care… they are struggling to ramp up production and meet delivery timelines, so they may welcome a few cancellations

·
Registered
256 Posts
^ FWIW- we did not have "pre-orders" we had a "reservation" to place an order at a later date. An order can only be placed once your reservation number is called. So, no... prices were not locked in for reservation holders. They were only locked in for those who had already officially ordered (in most cases).
Then why are so many people surprised, upset and cancelling reservations? I would've been expecting this all along.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mine (explorer, max pack, AT, off road pkg, all weather mats) went from $82k to $96k. Doing some rough math if I chose to finance it only raises the payment by ~$250/month, or going from a 5 year to 6 year loan the payment pretty much stays the same. Possibly I’m delusional but I think there are very few that can afford a $80k truck that can’t afford a $100k truck. To the vast majority of people that will buy a new rivian it won’t matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine jumped from 73K to 90K plus before the state 6% tax that PA charges. I give up. I am buying a Raptor or a Ram TRX instead at that price and still getting a bigger truck. Instead i prefer ordering the Hummer if i need to spend 90k.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Then why are so many people surprised, upset and cancelling reservations? I would've been expecting this all along.
Because people: (a) had unrealistic expectations; (b) did not read the terms of the reservation; or (c) just expressing their frustrations and disappointments from the heart and not from the head. I hate the way Rivian went about this as much as anyone, but it was always anticipated, and should not have come as a surprise.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Because people: (a) had unrealistic expectations; (b) did not read the terms of the reservation; or (c) just expressing their frustrations and disappointments from the heart and not from the head. I hate the way Rivian went about this as much as anyone, but it was always anticipated, and should not have come as a surprise.
Did I miss the thread where anyone had been discussing when Rivian would likely be increasing prices? I would've thought this would've been a hot topic given their was no price guarantee.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did I miss the thread where anyone had been discussing when Rivian would likely be increasing prices? I would've thought this would've been a hot topic given their was no price guarantee.
It’s been around. I have myself participated in numerous discussions on the topic. The consensus among the participants was that we all hoped it wouldn’t be until we got our orders, but that in light of the rest of the market, it was almost a certainty that it would.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It’s been around. I have myself participated in numerous discussions on the topic. The consensus among the participants was that we all hoped it wouldn’t be until we got our orders, but that in light of the rest of the market, it was almost a certainty that it would.
Guess I missed that, as well as many other reservation holders by the sounds of it. Maybe why I assumed these folks had set pricing. I guess I'm not really sure what all the panic is about then.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had multiple Tesla's. Ordered them all. Prices increased on Tesla's, but Tesla always honored my reservation price point. Ordered an F-150 lightning, prices have increased since. Ford honored my price point.

Rivian altered their pricing just a few months ago. So to say that a 20% increase in just a few months should have been expected is just ridiculous.

Most would have accepted a 5% increase, but 20%? I committed to making a deposit based on being able to afford the vehicle. If I wanted a $100K truck, certainly could have considered many other options. I held off buying anything else for 3 friggen years to wait for the Rivian. Had I known it was going to be close to $100K, never would have done so. Complete duping my Rivian, even after prior price adjustments. Bait and switch.

I have been with Tesla for years and they've done some crap that turned me off, but never to this scale. What they've done has been enough for me to go from LOVING Tesla for the first 3-4 years to now not really wanting anything to do with them. The red flags were there with Rivian following their playbook. Had hoped it would be more like Tesla's early days for at least a couple of years. Instead, they've outdone Tesla in all the wrong ways.

I loved the direct to manufacturer relationship in the beginning, but it has since been abused by Tesla and Rivian is now taking it beyond that. Tesla has become a "my way or the highway" type of company. Rivian joined them. At least with competing dealers, they still have earn your business. The consumer having no choice is not good for the consumer. So, the only choice we have is to not buy at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had multiple Tesla's. Ordered them all. Prices increased on Tesla's, but Tesla always honored my reservation price point. Ordered an F-150 lightning, prices have increased since. Ford honored my price point.

Rivian altered their pricing just a few months ago. So to say that a 20% increase in just a few months should have been expected is just ridiculous.
I take it you didn’t reserve the CT? Because Tesla is essentially doing the exact same thing (“bait and switch”). The initial pricing was released, over a million reservations were placed, only for Tesla to take the pricing and anticipated delivery dates off. I would be willing to bet that the pricing of CT, when and if it’s eventually released, will be more than $5k more than the original pricing.

I completely understand and share your frustration, especially at how this was handled, but I think the price point was WAY too low to begin with, and was always likely to be adjusted to at least where it is now. With that said, they definitely went about it the wrong way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m thinking a majority were hoping the inevitable price increase would be a bit smaller. Around half of what it is as far as I am concerned. However, I did keep my hopes alive when all the employees got their trucks delivered as well as a handful of non employees got/getting their trucks for the original configuration price. I’m glad it didn’t shock you wealthy professional economists as much as the average forum members, but for a number of us, it’s a bit much. Some probably can’t afford the higher price/payment, and some may not be willing to do it out of principal. But by ColeAK’s logic, if the price goes up to $120k by the time delivery comes around, then we should be able to afford it then as well. Because if you can afford $100k then you should be able to afford $120k right?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't say it was "WAY" underpriced. It was certainly reasonably priced, possibly somewhat on the low side. But, it's also a startup company with no proven track record. That price point was important to convince people to go with an unproven product over the tried and true of major manufacturers.

The CyberTruck, can't make any judgments on that until some day, that it is eventually released for sale and at what price point. To their credit, while brief, they did eventually build a $35,000 Model 3, keeping their word to do so.. So, maybe they'll do the same with the truck? As noted, Tesla has done some shady crap too through. They're no angels. Nothing quite to this extreme, but shady none the less and a primary reason why I'm moving on from them. Forcing people to pay $250,000 deposits for a Roadster promised years ago, or $50,000 for the "cheaper" version only to still be nowhere close to production after it was promised in 2019. Selling millions of "Full Self Drive" options, a feature that still doesn't exist and isn't likely to for years to come, and they keep raising the price of it and delivering nothing for it. Just in the past year, some features in that direction are being made available, if you jump through Tesla's hoops to get use of the $10,000 (now $12,000) option you paid for. I had FSD on two prior cars and got absolutely nothing for it prior to having sold each of those cars. .

I love the innovation of these companies, but at the same time, was quite frustrating to buy a Tesla, only to have them unexpectedly announce major hardware changes two weeks later that just made the new car you purchased less than 30 days prior, outdated. How about selling cars for $170,000, because there were enough suckers to pay those prices for them, then dropping the prices by some 30-40% almost overnight. I configured a fully loaded Performance Model S and it was nearly $170,000. A month later, bought the same car for $110,000. While I benefitted, existing owners were screwed by the instant devaluation of their cars. Tesla then decided that they were going to limit how many times owners could "floor it" on their performance cars. Warranty costs were too high, so they thought they could tell owners, you can only "floor it" 10 times before we reduce the power. That was nearly as bad as Rivian's deal. Tesla reversed course on that one pretty quick. The list goes on and on. They sell Full Self Drive for $10,000, then if they take the car on trade, remove the feature and sell it again to the next owner on the same car, despite it being an option on the window sticker.

Rivian is following the same footsteps. I'm thankful that it happened now as I really don't want to go on the Tesla ride again. Maybe the other manufacturers won't update their cars as often, but at least if I buy a 2023 Model vehicle in November, 2022, I know I'll have a "current model" for at least a year. Rather than when I bought one of my Tesla's just prior to the change from AP1 hardware to AP2 hardware. Try buying a 2015 Model S and figuring out what you get? Some 2015's are one thing, others are an entirely different car. Certainly there are benefits to the way Tesla does some things. But, I'm ready for a more predictable path. For better or worse, at least I know what I'll be getting with any of the major manufacturers.

I'm done with these direct to consumer manufacturers attitude of "if you don't like it, tough". Our only power is to not buy it. Tesla was incredible at the start. Then, their heads got really big and their attitude changed drastically. Especially in today's world, demand outweighs supply, so these manufacturers are raping customers.....because they can. Just 2 1/2 years ago, Tesla was begging customers to buy their cars. It will be that way again in the future. Big manufacturers realize the BIG PICTURE and remain fairly consistent through good and bad times. These small companies are taking advantage of short term gains, not realizing the long term effects that pissing off customers will have. Tesla was lucky to be the only game in town for 10 years. That's all changing. Check back in 2-3 years when supply shortages subside and these guys have to slash pricing to sell a car. Anyone buying today will pay a significant price in 2-3 years when they go to sell their cars in a down market. By that time, brand new cars will be selling at prices less than what you still owe on your three year old car. Again, I looked ahead and have done well to avoid most of Tesla's crap and even benefitted. My current 2019 car is worth as much today as I paid for it 2 1/2 years ago. But, I do feel for all the people that bought cars a year earlier. My dad purchased his car, which has inferior features to my car, for $20,000 more than what I paid for mine and his is worth $10,000 less than mine is today. This time period we are in, is the worst time to cave and buy a vehicle from one of these companies taking advantage of the current environment. Tesla included. Rivian now included. Ford, not so much. They're pricing has remained fairly consistent. As has GM's. The Rivian in the $70's was reasonable. At $95k+, not a chance. It will be worth $50,000 at best in 3 years. Come back in three years and correct me if I'm wrong!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.