Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t have a garage so my wall charger is mounted outside. I’m thinking it would be good to protect it from the weather when not in use. Anyone else doing that? I can’t seem to find any products for this online. Anyone know any?

thanks!

· Registered
71 Posts
I don’t have a garage so my wall charger is mounted outside. I’m thinking it would be good to protect it from the weather when not in use. Anyone else doing that? I can’t seem to find any products for this online. Anyone know any?

thanks!
I would look at the State of Charge youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/StateOfChargeWithTomMoloughney). He reviews EVSE units there, including commenting on weather ratings and cable usability for various units. You may not need an extra enclosure if you buy a unit that is meant to be out in the elements.

· Registered
21 Posts

thanks!
I had the same issue on a Tesla wall charger mounted outside on a beachfront house in Florida. I was concerned that the UV and ozone would take its toll. Just like you, I couldn't find anything on the market so I handmade a vinyl (oh, I mean vegan leather) boot with bungee around the edge. Works like a champ. Maybe I'll start a business making them...

· Registered
58 Posts
I had the same issue on a Tesla wall charger mounted outside on a beachfront house in Florida. I was concerned that the UV and ozone would take its toll. Just like you, I couldn't find anything on the market so I handmade a vinyl (oh, I mean vegan leather) boot with bungee around the edge. Works like a champ. Maybe I'll start a business making them...
Autel has an outdoor rated 50 amp charger (requires hardwiring to a 60 amp circuit to give the Rivian 48 amps). It has RFID card capability so you can add an RFID card to keep some juice-thirsty passer-by from charging up at your expense. I just got one through Amazon and my electrician will be hooking it up (albeit inside the garage) tomorrow

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have clarified… I have the Rivian charger which is rated for outdoor use. We just see everything on the south facing side of our house (which the charger is also on) take a beating. I bought a custom sized cover from www.coversandall.com - was reasonably priced and so far has held up (6 weeks or so in). It’s stayed on during hard rain storms and looks fine (ish) up against the fence.

Installed two pieces of metal to create a prop for the corners of the cover.

Plant Property Botany Wood Fence

Plant Fence Wood Automotive tire Home fencing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts