Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on the other forum that in some cases it’s taken over 90 days for many to receive there registration & plate. How long did yours take (or is still taking)?

In PA there are penalties to the driver if say tags from a vehicle you’ve disposed of are not either transferred to another vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure what the question here is as you seem to be discussing two separate situations. Ill attempt to answer based on how I’m reading the question and info I received from my local Tags place.

Rivian can take up to 90 days to get you your registration and tags. This means you cannot get your safety inspection sticker for that time frame. This said, you have 10 days from the time your car is registered in PA to get this inspection.

You currently have a 90 day temp permit from Illinois which means, until your PA registration comes through, there is no concern over getting any fines in PA. You are basically covered under the Illinois permit and good to go without a PA inspection.

As for your part two. If you intended to transfer your tags, I am not sure you can do this until your PA registration arrives. My understanding is you will be receiving new tags through Rivian, In this scenario, you will need to either return your tags to PennDOT or send them a letter showing the sale of previous car and then simply discard the tags.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I did my Registration step with Rivian, I opted to transfer the tags since I had just renewed them the previous month. So I can’t return the tags to PADMV as I will need them when the new registration shows up. The problem is, since I sold the vehicle these tags were previously on and subsequently removed that vehicle from my auto insurance, that will get reported to the PADMV and they will start hounding me about returning the tags. I doubt PADMV has any visibility into the transfer request yet, and even if they did, I doubt the “return tags” dept knows anything about what’s going on in the “transfers” dept. I foresee many wasted hours on the phone over the next 90 days. :rolleyes: The stated penalty for not returning the tags as requested is a three month registration suspension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m likely in the same boat. Can you call your guide and tell them you will need new tags and then simply resolve the old tags with PennDOT . Might cost an extra hundred or two but likely better the the headache you are facing. Looking at my Purchase agreement I’m seeing I paid $200 for registration and titling fee which id assume to be new tags? Do you have the same fee on line item “10” on purchase agreement?

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
142 Posts
When I did my Registration step with Rivian, I opted to transfer the tags since I had just renewed them the previous month. So I can’t return the tags to PADMV as I will need them when the new registration shows up. The problem is, since I sold the vehicle these tags were previously on and subsequently removed that vehicle from my auto insurance, that will get reported to the PADMV and they will start hounding me about returning the tags. I doubt PADMV has any visibility into the transfer request yet, and even if they did, I doubt the “return tags” dept knows anything about what’s going on in the “transfers” dept. I foresee many wasted hours on the phone over the next 90 days. :rolleyes: The stated penalty for not returning the tags as requested is a three month registration suspension.
For what it's worth, I KNOW someone who has never returned a single tag ever, and never received any requests to do so. I don't think you really need to worry about the suspension thing.

Rivian should be handling the transfer, just like they do registering for new plates. Run the temp tag until you get a PA registration with your old plates, and then install them. Maybe check every week or two with your Guide to make sure the process is progressing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts