Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

PA Windshield tint issues?

7K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  EVRider 
#1 ·
I took my truck to a window tint installer today for an estimate for the windshield & front windows. He cautioned me that any windshield with tint extending more than 3” below the top of the windshield would summarily fail the PA Safety Inspection.
I called the PA Safety Inspection information line to inquire about this and the agent told me that currently, there is no legislation that disalllows windshield tinting, and that from an Inspection point of view, as long as the inspector can “see through” the windshield it would not be an issue. However, he did say that it was more of a Law Enforcement issue, where the police could stop & cite you if the officer believes your tint to be too dark.
So to me, this sounds like double indemnity in terms of the likelihood of subjectivity failing a state inspection or getting a ticket, based on the whim of the individual wielding the pen.
I’ve never had more than factory tint on any of my vehicles, anyone here have (PA-specific) experience with this?

#2 ·
Any tint on the windshield below the "AS-1" mark and any tint on the front door windows is illegal in PA (unless you have a medical reason in which I think there is a form your doctor would have to fill out). Not an inspection issue but you can be pulled over for it. All depends on the police in the area you live in. I believe it is something they can't pull you over for by itself, but they can add it on to any other violation, and require you to remove it and take it back to the police station for inspection after you do so.

This site says 70% for windshield and front windows, but that is total. If you check the factory windows even with no visible tint you will most likely find they are about that, so in reality you can't tint them.

#6 ·
@atebit be sure to get ceramic film, not just regular. It's the ceramic film that helps reduce actual UV rays from getting into the cabin. Just tinted film can help cut down on heat coming in, but there is still a significant amount of UV that gets through in just tinted film. There are different levels of ceramic film as well based on how much you want to pay and how much UV they let through, but clear ceramic film would still reduce heat a good bit. Most people will go cheap and just get tinted film cause they don't understand how UV rays work and then wonder how the vehicle is still hot.

#8 ·
Around me, most of the notable shops use Pinnacle. Some installers will have different levels of ceramic tint so you can block even more UV rays or in some cases even infrared rays on the really higher end. The below article helps outline the differences a little more. If you're putting it on your windshield, you'll probably be required to do ceramic because it won't have any metal particles in it that could effect any of the electronics that need vision through it like cameras or sensors in the windshield.

#12 ·
My windshield’s getting done this Thursday. They should leave a cut out for the sticker. Normally they know how big to make it because the sticker’s already there. Since we don’t have ours yet they will just have to estimate the size. Remind them that we only get the safety sticker and not the emissions sticker. They also have to leave enough space for the inspector to scrape off the old sticker.

#18 ·
Ceramic is the ONLY window film you should consider! Invest in quality. The windshield that is almost clear blocks more heat than dark cheaper tint. Ceramic comes in different shades as well. But not every state is okay with this application.
The colored glass in the rear doors and back is not tint, nor does it block any heat or UV. Find a quality facility in your area known that knows their products. Full coverage of all glass gives the best experience from the heat. The roof is huge, and letting in a ton of heat here in Florida. The film can give it's best performance with full insulation. We use the same material on the back glass and sunroof as we do the windshield.

I like to work with XPEL XR Prime Black, and Prime Plus (super Ceramic!) A heat lamp demonstration should be available on site so you can feel the difference with these materials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.