Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the EV segment and the Rivian will be my first EV so if this seems stupid I fully accept that.

If I was to have my Rivian charged at say 90% but then not drive it for a week, you know like during a pandemic or something, would I lose charge so that in 7 days I jump in and it would be at 50%. Also thinking about airports and trips. If I drive to an airport, park the car, get on a plane and show up 8 days later.

Basically does a sitting vehicle lose charge? If so what is the expected loss?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Every car has different battery management features so you need to make sure you read the manual. There will likely be features designed to provide for a seamless driving experience on a daily basis that can be disabled if you're intending to let it sit for a week or weeks. Otherwise you will lose a very small percentage overnight or over extended periods without use/charging.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am new to the EV segment and the Rivian will be my first EV so if this seems stupid I fully accept that.

If I was to have my Rivian charged at say 90% but then not drive it for a week, you know like during a pandemic or something, would I lose charge so that in 7 days I jump in and it would be at 50%. Also thinking about airports and trips. If I drive to an airport, park the car, get on a plane and show up 8 days later.

Basically does a sitting vehicle lose charge? If so what is the expected loss?
The electronics are never fully off, so a sitting vehicle does consume some power... But it's a relatively small draw. You should be able to let the vehicle sit for weeks and only lose a few miles of range. You're not going to go from 90% to 50% in a week or two.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lithium batteries like to be stored at 50% charge for long periods, that helps reduce degradation. So when I take my Bolt to the airport for a week I try to arrive with aobut 60% charge, and I have never seen any significant range reduction.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Lithium batteries like to be stored at 50% charge for long periods, that helps reduce degradation. So when I take my Bolt to the airport for a week I try to arrive with aobut 60% charge, and I have never seen any significant range reduction.
Have you ever had an official test done to see what degradation is like on your Bolt's battery?
Or any read outs from a diagnostic test?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you ever had an official test done to see what degradation is like on your Bolt's battery?
Or any read outs from a diagnostic test?
I have not done an official test, but based on running my battery down to a low percentage (5-10%) and looking at usage since full charge, I believe I have lost 2-3KWH and the car has 90K miles on it. So no more than a 5% loss so far.

I have to get a BMS update in April to clear up a recall, so maybe I can ask the dealer to check it for me. GM currently only does OTAs for the infotainment system, not for the battery or drive components. They are changing that for the newer Ultium platforms like the Hummer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts