Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have problems with the passenger seat occupancy sensors? When my wife sits in the passenger seat we get the “passenger airbag off” message and lose the passenger seat temperature controls sometimes. Sometimes if she shifts around the error goes away and comes back again. This happens periodically especially on road trips. Despite me sending photo evidence, rivian service says they tested everything and the vehicle is working as intended so they can’t fix it. Obviously it’s unsafe to drive like this, does anyone else have an issue like this?
Vehicle Car Sky Motor vehicle Cloud

· Registered
4 Posts
Did this start after the Snow Mode update? My R1T has been getting PPF and ceramic done for the past 2 weeks, so I just picked up my truck drove it home an hour without any issue. After getting home, I did the update yesterday and had a weird ding going off every 20 or 30 seconds while driving. Nobody was with me and there were no errors on any of the screens. I picked up my son from basketball, he hopped in the front seat, adjusted the seat some and the ding went away.....weird.

· Registered
811 Posts
It would have been nice if you had provided the context:
Rivian replaced my passenger seat August 23. Ever since then, whenever my wife (125 pounds) is in the front seat the warning says "passenger airbag off" and she is not able to use the climate control on the passenger side.
Seems like this is a problem with your vehicle. It certainly sounds like the weight calibration is a little off - I thought the number was set to 113 lbs to conform with the law that the airbag is automatically enabled above the weight of 5th percentile females. 125 lbs is close enough to that limit that if the calibration is off maybe your wife isn't registering sometimes. And even if the calibration is accurate, this issue is always going to occur for someone near or under that trigger weight.

Specifically, this has nothing to do with the December software update, because the problem existed way before then ...

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes this has been a problem for months. Unfortunate that my wife won’t be able to benefit from airbags if she sits in the front seat. We have owned so many cars over the years without this being a problem. I wish the software would prevent the airbags from disabling if the sensor is triggered on and off very frequently (sometimes for us it even flickers on and off). They should handle this in a smarter way. Hopefully if more people report this issue they will resolve it.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have seen this (occasionally) when my 12-yr-old son sits in the front passenger seat. We found that un-buckling and re-buckling his seat belt corrects the issue. I have not reported this to Rivian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts