Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rivian just released a new video with Long Way Up producer David Alexanian where they give him an up close look at the latest R1T prototype.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When they were talking about the tires, they mentioned they are newly designed 34” tires designed by Pirelli. Do you think those will be an option at launch?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Looks like the speakers are going to be made by Meridian. They make some pretty good stuff. I wonder if these "elevation" ones are exclusive to Rivian.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Long Way Up was a great show, and for me I truly appreciated seeing the protoypes handle what they put them through. It was just one more reason to buy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I decided I couldn't wait for an EV any longer and bought a Tesla Y just before Christmas. My plan is to wait until I can get a 5 seat R1S with the extended battery, sell the Tesla and get the EV that I really want. This video gets me so pumped for lots of reasons. The vehicle looks so great. I'm starting to love the lights. The seats look super comfortable. And I saw the Sirius/XM antennae... the thing I'm most disappointed with the Tesla is that while the screen is big and shows lots of stuff, it's just not all that helpful. And their desire to have total control over the audio/visual experience as a walled garden is IMO wrong and poorly executed. C'mon RJ, keep going!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought that as well. Looks dark green at that one angle.
Nope. I asked customer service and they said it is matte black and that it's not an available color, because it's a wrap! I hope the rumors of them making the wraps available as an option are true, because that matte black looks amazing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nope. I asked customer service and they said it is matte black and that it's not an available color, because it's a wrap! I hope the rumors of them making the wraps available as an option are true, because that matte black looks amazing.
I know it has been said before, but a wrap (if done right) is not cheap. You are looking at $5K+ for it to be done right in the aftermarket. I was quoted around $8K for wrapping a C7 Corvette. If Rivian were to offer this as a factory option, I would bet it is $10K minimum, based on the $3,500 wheel upgrade. Can they do it? Sure they can. Do they want to? Only if it makes financial sense. Wrapping cars is not their business. Heck, painting cars is not their business. Designing and building cars is what they do. I bet we will start hearing about the terrible paint quality as soon as deliveries are being made. Auto manufacturers come up with pretty colors and spend millions to find the cheapest way to get paint to stick. They are not going to give you a show quality paint job.

If you had an opportunity to sit down with RJ and discuss your build, and you said you would give him $5K to wrap your truck, I bet he would tell you to go have it done at your local shop. If you told him $10K, he might think about it. At $20K, he would take your money and your brand new Rivian and have it wrapped for you.

So, the question becomes, at what price is a consumer willing to pay a manufacturer for an aftermarket product?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I decided I couldn't wait for an EV any longer and bought a Tesla Y just before Christmas. My plan is to wait until I can get a 5 seat R1S with the extended battery, sell the Tesla and get the EV that I really want. This video gets me so pumped for lots of reasons. The vehicle looks so great. I'm starting to love the lights. The seats look super comfortable. And I saw the Sirius/XM antennae... the thing I'm most disappointed with the Tesla is that while the screen is big and shows lots of stuff, it's just not all that helpful. And their desire to have total control over the audio/visual experience as a walled garden is IMO wrong and poorly executed. C'mon RJ, keep going!!
Yeah I find with Tesla screens is you really have to deep dive to find things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know it has been said before, but a wrap (if done right) is not cheap. You are looking at $5K+ for it to be done right in the aftermarket. I was quoted around $8K for wrapping a C7 Corvette. If Rivian were to offer this as a factory option, I would bet it is $10K minimum, based on the $3,500 wheel upgrade. Can they do it? Sure they can. Do they want to? Only if it makes financial sense. Wrapping cars is not their business. Heck, painting cars is not their business. Designing and building cars is what they do. I bet we will start hearing about the terrible paint quality as soon as deliveries are being made. Auto manufacturers come up with pretty colors and spend millions to find the cheapest way to get paint to stick. They are not going to give you a show quality paint job.

If you had an opportunity to sit down with RJ and discuss your build, and you said you would give him $5K to wrap your truck, I bet he would tell you to go have it done at your local shop. If you told him $10K, he might think about it. At $20K, he would take your money and your brand new Rivian and have it wrapped for you.

So, the question becomes, at what price is a consumer willing to pay a manufacturer for an aftermarket product?
Yikes, I had no idea they were that expensive. In that case, forget it, Rivian should definitely just make the matte black a paint option! I currently have El Cap Granite selected for my configuration, but I haven't seen any good photos/videos showing that color outside of the configuration yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There we so many little details in the video. I must admit that I have watched it several times picking up on new nuggets / details everytime. I get more and more excited as details come out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yikes, I had no idea they were that expensive. In that case, forget it, Rivian should definitely just make the matte black a paint option! I currently have El Cap Granite selected for my configuration, but I haven't seen any good photos/videos showing that color outside of the configuration yet.
As @Ladiver said, professional wrap jobs are expensive. For those wanting a "matte" finish on ANY color this can be achieved thru clear matte films that not only will protect the factory paint but also give you that custom look. PPF and Wraps have many great looks but must be applied correctly, ie. full paint prep detail so that the OEM paint has no issues when you remove it in 1-7yrs since it too has a lifespan...

XPEL: XPEL | Paint Protection Film | STEALTH Satin Finish Paint Protection | Self-Healing Clear Bra

1 - 20 of 24 Posts