Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched this video from TFLcar last night which now makes me question ........
1) What will the process be for us purchasing our new Rivian?
2) What kind of protection is there for the buyer in the Rivian purchase process?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure why some guy's experience buying a used car from a 3rd party website would suggest that buying from Rivian would present similar problems. There are no purchase details at the moment. Rivian and Chase have announced a financing partnership for people who will be financing the purchase, but there are no details for outright sales as of yet.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
No one knows the details, yet. I'd expect an experience on par or better than Tesla, however.
Next month Ford is supposed to roll out an online vehicle sales platform, so that should be interesting to watch. Its the first big automaker to follow in the lead of Tesla, or at least get closer to what they do.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Next month Ford is supposed to roll out an online vehicle sales platform, so that should be interesting to watch. Its the first big automaker to follow in the lead of Tesla, or at least get closer to what they do.
The anti-direct sales laws were a direct result of the Big 3 choosing to go with a franchise/dealer model. Ford trying to go against that model would indeed be interesting.

I wonder if the Ford model will still use dealers for the actual sales paperwork, and they'll just have a central portal (opt-in for the dealers, of course) that can streamline the process from the consumer's perspective?

·
Registered
66 Posts
1) What will the process be for us purchasing our new Rivian?
2) What kind of protection is there for the buyer in the Rivian purchase process?
1) Once you finalize your config and delivery location, Rivian will give you a final price. At that time you dig through every couch you can find to scrounge up every last penny. Then you give them the pot of gold and they hand you the keys.
2) Unless your state has some special consumer protection on vehicles, your only protection is that you hold the pot of gold. After you hand it over, you are in your own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The anti-direct sales laws were a direct result of the Big 3 choosing to go with a franchise/dealer model. Ford trying to go against that model would indeed be interesting.

I wonder if the Ford model will still use dealers for the actual sales paperwork, and they'll just have a central portal (opt-in for the dealers, of course) that can streamline the process from the consumer's perspective?
I think they would still use the dealership model due to current state laws

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I was thinking that for now Ford would need a hybrid of both.

Welcome @Txrunner! Which Rivian model and spec did you order?
Add it here:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Since Rivian is planning on building experience centers already they might as well put them in states that require dealers while they fight legislation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts