Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At times my phone key works exactly the way you would hope it would work. Other times it seems to be on delay mode, taking 60 to 90 seconds for the truck to acknowledge it. Other times it simply doesn't work, forcing me to reach for my wallet to get the key card. I sure hope that's just a software update away from being resolved. Thoughts?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome to use your phone for something it wasn't designed for. Tesla discovered this with the Model 3. No different with the Rivian and other cars that are trying to do the same. I use only the keyfob. Can't wait for them to solve their battery issues with it so they can make it a passive keyfob.

Plus, I'm one that leaves my phone in the car quite often, so using it as a key is not an option. Not all of us live with our phones zip tied to ourselves.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep... I've stopped using the PAAK function altogether. The fact that it behaves unpredictably and the fact that the Rivian App kills my phone's battery life just make it unusable. I only use the key fob. It works fine but I wish that it was smaller.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep... I've stopped using the PAAK function altogether. The fact that it behaves unpredictably and the fact that the Rivian App kills my phone's battery life just make it unusable. I only use the key fob. It works fine but I wish that it was smaller.
Yes, it does eat up much more battery life.
Plus, on mine, despite how many times I turn off bluetooth on my phone, somehow, Rivian manages to turn it back on almost daily. Very annoying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At times my phone key works exactly the way you would hope it would work. Other times it seems to be on delay mode, taking 60 to 90 seconds for the truck to acknowledge it. Other times it simply doesn't work, forcing me to reach for my wallet to get the key card. I sure hope that's just a software update away from being resolved. Thoughts?
I dont have those issues, but I wonder if the phone model has something to do with it. I normally have to wait about 5 seconds for the door to unlock if I walk straight to the truck. If I walk slow, the handle presents before I get to the door. I have a Samsung S21 Ultra

·
Registered
11 Posts
I complained about this and they said it was the age of my iphone which I understand as an issue. But it is amazing to me that as I go to each of my vehicles in my driveway, I hear my Rivian open the door. Minutes later lock the door. Only to open again as I rummage through my other vehicle. It can't wait to open the door for me ten feet away. But riddle me this, I walk up to my Rivian and stand at the door and wait. and wait. Sometimes 30 seconds. Sometimes 90 seconds, sometimes give up and find my key fob, which then takes another ten to fifteen seconds. Perhaps the trick is to pretend I am going to the other vehicle that day and the Rivian will get upset and open the door, I can then make a quick left turn and jump into the Rivian.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I took my car in for service recently, I wanted to add this issue to my list. Instead I was told it something normal that has to do with the antena signal transmission. He said Rivian was working on a software upgrade. Just as my ride arrived, they flagged me down and asked me if I would unlock the car because they were having issues getting in. I still have the same problem

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a similar issue as well. My car would not open automatically through the phone on the drivers side. Service dep came by and replaced the driver side door handle. This solved the problem and the auto open and close from by phone works fine. I'm using the Iphone 13 Max.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, my Pixel Six Pro worked very reliably as a phone key until this week, while my wife's iPhone 12 was very inconsistent - maybe half the time she walked up / walked away the R1T would unlock / lock.

What happened to my Pixel Six Pro? The truck simply doesn't recognize it at all now (even though it still connects fine as a BT audio source). I've deleted the key and tried to re-add it, but the add-key process never completes. Just spins its progress indicator endlessly.

Feels like the key cards / fobs are the only reliable items.

Rivian's going through the same software quality curve Tesla did almost a decade ago. (I've owned three Teslas, so I've been on this journey a long time.) I sure hope Rivian can accelerate it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Phones were designed to be phones, not car keys.

Same continued issues with the Tesla. Same now with the Rivian. I'm sure it's the same for all other's trying to do the same. Never been a fan of it. I'm not one that lives with my phone attached to my hip. I leave it in the car. The Tesla key fob was nice. Small, weighed nothing and had passive entry / exit. Throw it in your pocket and never notice its there. Always worked, no issues. The Rivian key fob is much larger, heavier and is not passive, which blows me away. Hoping someday they get it updated to be a passive fob.

Trying to use the phone key, almost always requires me taking the phone out of my back pocket, or get to the car / truck and do a little dance.

Sad that it is an issue we even have to discuss. Getting in and out of your vehicle should be something you never have to give a second thought to. Passive key fobs have been around for over 15 years. Easy to do. But, everyone wants to re-invent the wheel when the current wheel works just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts