Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just signed all docs to get my R1T. Two days later they call and tell me I have to register my truck as a commercial vehicle in NY. Waiting almost 4 yrs. Now may have to give it up!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Why does that matter? Here in Washington state, we have the same rule that vehicles over a certain weight are registered as commercial vehicles, whether you use them as commercial vehicles or not.

But in our case, the registration fees and renewals are considerably LESS than for personal vehicles. So, I'm glad that the Rivian weighs as much as it does - it will save me at least $500 dollars a year.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why does that matter? Here in Washington state, we have the same rule that vehicles over a certain weight are registered as commercial vehicles, whether you use them as commercial vehicles or not.

But in our case, the registration fees and renewals are considerably LESS than for personal vehicles. So, I'm glad that the Rivian weighs as much as it does - it will save me hundreds of dollars a year.
I think I saw someone say it restricts where you can park if you're in NYC. (Also in WA, I've just seen several NY residents fret over this).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've owned a "commercial" vehicle in WA for personal use for 7 years now and I've never heard of or encountered anything about parking restrictions. And when I first registered it I had an hour-long discussion with the DOL about why they insisted on calling it commercial. They didn't mention the lower taxes or any other restrictions - if I had known I would save so much on the RTA tax (1.1% of the value of the vehicle each year, but not applicable to "commercial" vehicles over 6000 lbs) then I wouldn't have argued with them...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've owned a "commercial" vehicle in WA for personal use for 7 years now and I've never heard of or encountered anything about parking restrictions. And when I first registered it I had an hour-long discussion with the DOL about why they insisted on calling it commercial. They didn't mention the lower taxes or any other restrictions - if I had known I would save so much on the RTA tax (1.1% of the value of the vehicle each year, but not applicable to "commercial" vehicles over 6000 lbs) then I wouldn't have argued with them...
i wasn't clear, sorry. I was saying I'm also in WA, so I've just seen the NY issue described remotely. I wasn't saying we have the same problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If this 2005 Connecticut guidance memo still stands, certain gross vehicle weight Connecticut registered pick up trucks with Combination plates also cannot legally use parkways in New York. My reservation is for an R1S to be registered in Connecticut, but I never knew about this NY parkway access issue for pickup trucks.

Rivian R1T‘s GVWR is 8,532 pounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes it would, but really wanted pick up. Who knows how long the wait is for that. Will I go to head of the line?
I think you have two questions to get answers from Rivian: 1. what is your estimated delivery window if you switch to an R1S due to the concern you have raised and 2. Given Rivian’s notice that they will protect the price for the vehicle you had configured as of February 28, what pricing would apply if you switched to an R1S now.

If this really is New York’s current rule for pick up truck registrations, how is this going to impact Ford’s and GM’s heavy weight electric pick up truck sales in New York if they can’t be driven on parkways?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't think it is an issue unless you are engaged in commerce.

"For purposes other than parking, stopping and standing rules, a vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of property or for the provision of commercial services and bearing commercial plates is considered a commercial vehicle. "

Make some calls.

PS Perhaps change title to "Help with NY Commercial Vehicle Reg Requirement".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't think it is an issue unless you are engaged in commerce.

"For purposes other than parking, stopping and standing rules, a vehicle designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of property or for the provision of commercial services and bearing commercial plates is considered a commercial vehicle. "

Make some calls.

PS Perhaps change title to "Help with NY Commercial Vehicle Reg Requirement".
See this from New York:

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv114.pdf

1 - 20 of 56 Posts