Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After multiple production delays and then learning the 400 mile range R1T won’t be released until Jan 2022 I’m bringing to question my commitment to the vehicle. Anyone else feel the same? Besides just a good looking and capable Truck, Rivian’s million statements sold me early on to place a preorder. I’m beginning to wonder if they should leave themselves open to consider other all electric Trucks like the F-150 that are supposed to be released in 2022? Perhaps play it conservative and get the rumored PHEV Tundra? BTW, I’m not some Ford or Toyota person. Just a guy who’s excited to own an electric truck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My silverado has over 305,000km on it, and is slowly falling apart. I reserved a Havelaar Bison in 2017 that went nowhere. Then I got on the Rivian boat, very excited for the launch edition. With the wait now and no performance information for extreme cold i'm getting nervous and starting to look elsewhere. If the current 2021 F-150 hybrid had better range/mileage, I would probably have one by now but like you said, there are also potential better options on the horizon. Hoping Rivian comes through without any other delays or performance issues so we won't have to make that choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right. Rivian should be more transparent in order to manage people’s expectations. Like by the end of 4th quarter those of us who reserved a 400 mile range version should at least be provided with an estimated delivery date. B/c honestly if at that time they told me I wouldn’t be getting my vehicle until late 2022 or early 2023 it’d be a completely different ballgame. I should add that I’m somewhat ticked that I gave Rivian a multi-year interest free loan ($1,000 Deposit) only to gain a one week advantage over others who did not to configure they’re vehicle. Then learned they pulled a Bait and Switch by delaying release of 400 mile range version. (I just need to vent y’all, LOL)

·
Registered
191 Posts
After multiple production delays and then learning the 400 mile range R1T won’t be released until Jan 2022
Rivian initially announced their EAVs would be available in mid to late 2020. As time went on they refined it to be Dec 2020. Then the pandemic hit which pushed the date into 2021. Rivian eventually refined the target launch date to be the current June/Aug 2021 dates for the R1T and R1S respectively. So there has been only one production delay for those wanting the 135 kWh BP. Those looking to get 180 kWh like yourself, yes, I would consider that another delay. But you also have to keep in mind that when a company tries to ramp back up after being shutdown for a few months due to the pandemic, it's not entirely in that company's (Rivian's) hands to just open back up on a dime whenever they want. Rivian has hundreds upon hundreds of supply chain partners that are dealing with the same challenges of ramping back up. Those partners also have suppliers, who also have suppliers, and so on. All it takes is one or two key suppliers to delay or even fail to ramp back up and disrupt the supply chain thus affecting Rivian's production.

I'm sure this, at least in part, has played a roll in many of the features Rivian determined would not be "initially" available with the Launch Edition or even non-LE models. Rivian customer service has told me multiple times (as others who have called Rivian CS and reported in forums) that Rivian will announce when these features become available and allow order holders to alter their orders to include these features if desired. Could this all change again? Certainly. This pandemic will, and already is to degree, get worse before it gets better. Hopefully there won't be any impacts to Rivian or any of their supply partners in 2021.

Note, this is not only affecting Rivian. I was at my local Ford dealership (and on the Mach-E forums) and they are also feeling the effects of some of their supply chain partners still trying to ramp fully back up. Mach-E demos were suppose to arrive in early December but dealerships are still waiting on them. You either have to be willing to play the long game here or change your criteria for an EV to that of what's available today. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m currently considering all options, depending largely on timeline and cosmetics of the vehicles. They all have performance equal to or exceeding any available ICE truck, so it’s going to come down to which one I think looks the best and fits my budget when I’m ready to pull the trigger. After a lot of thought and consideration I cancelled my Launch Edition R1T reservation because I came to the conclusion that this summer just wasn’t a feasible timeline for me financially. My current vehicle checks all the boxes as far as utility, and it’s only got 40k miles on it. Could I pay for the Rivian? Yeah, probably. But could I really afford it comfortably? Probably not. But after running the numbers I think I can reasonably push my purchase timeline back 12 months and be just fine. Plus that allows me to make some adjustments such as sacrificing the premium interior for the max battery pack and stay within a certain budget. I’ll consider the other manufacturers in the meantime, but based on looks and overall features, I imagine I’ll be ordering an R1T again in the next 12-18 months.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
148 Posts
I have one big concern with the electric F-150---it is not designed from scratch as an electric vehicle. At least as I understand it, it is going to be a regular F-150 on an electric platform. Given that, I am pretty sure it is gonna have much more compromises. The one advantage it could have would be on price since it is going to share parts with the ICE F-150. But the ICE F-150 is already expensive, I doubt the electric one will be more affordable.

Of course, the F-150 is a bit bigger than the R1T. So if you need more space that may be an option. But if I were in that situation, I would get the CyberTruck. Sure, I understand not everyone likes the look of the CT, but it is going to be a overall better truck IMO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've owned 2 Ford truck in my years, an F150 xcab and a F-350 CCDRW. Both were good but certainly not great like the many Toyotas I've owned from 84-02', built to last. For me it's about a departure from the norm and welcoming something new and purpose built. I feel like the ICE manufactures have become complacent and slowly moved towards engineering obsolescence rather then building a car/truck that can really last 300k. Both Import and Domestics are guilty of this. I'm an engineer by trade, life cycles are major players in the automotive world. I think Rivian has a real market to capture and from all appearances they are truly trying to do their due diligence to make a solid product. I hope they live up to my expectations and will make my final decision once I can get my hands and eyes on those first deliveries since mine will likely be into 2022...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a Hummer EV reserved, as well as the Rivian. I am starting to have more trust in GM, especially since they are building out the new Ultium battery factory. They have a new electric platform for the Hummer and have already announced it will be used with the new Sierra and Silverado EVs. Ford has not decided on building batteries themselves, so they will be at the mercy of suppliers. I also saw a video review of the Mach E and it appeared to have a few software issues at initial release, as well as over promising on fast charging rates.

Since I have already owned a Volt, and currently a Bolt, I am confident in GMs reliability and service for EVs.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have a Hummer EV reserved, as well as the Rivian. I am starting to have more trust in GM, especially since they are building out the new Ultium battery factory. They have a new electric platform for the Hummer and have already announced it will be used with the new Sierra and Silverado EVs. Ford has not decided on building batteries themselves, so they will be at the mercy of suppliers. I also saw a video review of the Mach E and it appeared to have a few software issues at initial release, as well as over promising on fast charging rates.

Since I have already owned a Volt, and currently a Bolt, I am confident in GMs reliability and service for EVs.
When you say you're starting to have more trust in GM, is that compared to Ford or Rivian?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After multiple production delays and then learning the 400 mile range R1T won’t be released until Jan 2022 I’m bringing to question my commitment to the vehicle. Anyone else feel the same? Besides just a good looking and capable Truck, Rivian’s million statements sold me early on to place a preorder. I’m beginning to wonder if they should leave themselves open to consider other all electric Trucks like the F-150 that are supposed to be released in 2022? Perhaps play it conservative and get the rumored PHEV Tundra? BTW, I’m not some Ford or Toyota person. Just a guy who’s excited to own an electric truck.
just canceled my preorder...wishing Rivian the best!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
just canceled my preorder...wishing Rivian the best!
Welcome to the forum @EJC808. What else are you planning to get and why? Just curious to see where folks are going. I'm open to other automakers like GM and Ford but still holding out for Rivian. If GM really picks up the pace on an electric pickup then I could give it a serious look.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When you say you're starting to have more trust in GM, is that compared to Ford or Rivian?
As of now I would say I trust them over both Ford and Rivian, but for different reasons. Ford is relatively new to EVs and the fact they are simply turning an ICE truck to EV does not seem very high tech. Rivian does not have the manufacturing experience of Ford or GM, and their schedule delays highlight that fact, plus not having the higher battery pack ready as promised.

The 400+ Max Pack is now delayed until Jan 2022, and I also do not want the glass roof, I want the removable roof and that is delayed until June 2022. Hummer comes with removable roof and largest pack initially. GM should start deliveries 4 months after Rivian, but I believe their production rate for the first year will make up for that delay, as compared to Rivian.

I could of course be completely wrong, but that is why I have reserved both of these vehicles. First one to my driveway will likely win.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hummer comes with removable roof and largest pack initially. GM should start deliveries 4 months after Rivian, but I believe their production rate for the first year will make up for that delay, as compared to Rivian.

I could of course be completely wrong, but that is why I have reserved both of these vehicles. First one to my driveway will likely win.
GM is only delivering the "First Edition" in Fall 2021. Those cost $112,595 + taxes and fees. And GM has said they're not allowing any negotiations or markup on the Hummer EV. They will all sell at MSRP.

Not exactly fair, imo, to compare a ~$75k truck to a ~$113k truck. If you use the EV2 as a more fair comparison, GM isn't delivering until 2024... Quite a bit later than Rivian.

I have both a Rivian and Hummer reservation. I expect to have a Rivian in my driveway, but I hedged my bets with the Hummer reservation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m not a GM fan. The fact that the videos of the Hummer EV were all CGI and they didn’t actually have a functional prototype when they “launched” doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy about them holding to production timelines, especially with COVID.
I am a Huge Ford fan and if they were rolling out an electric Ranger I’d probably wait for it, I’ve had a couple F150s, they are awesome vehicles but a bit too big for me 95% of the time. I think Ford is going to come out swinging with EVs and I’ve been buying stock to back up that opinion.
Ford just needs a better charging strategy and their dealerships can be awful.
I chose a Rivian R1T because it’s the right size and should have awesome capability for my needs 100% of the time. Once their charging network matures it will be a huge competitive advantage for people who like to hit national parks and trails.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The only way I'd consider the electric F-150 over the R1T is if there's a huge price difference. Even then I don't know if that would be enough. The Hummer looks great but it seems way too big for my liking.

·
Registered
188 Posts
GM is only delivering the "First Edition" in Fall 2021. Those cost $112,595 + taxes and fees. And GM has said they're not allowing any negotiations or markup on the Hummer EV. They will all sell at MSRP.

Not exactly fair, imo, to compare a ~$75k truck to a ~$113k truck. If you use the EV2 as a more fair comparison, GM isn't delivering until 2024... Quite a bit later than Rivian.

I have both a Rivian and Hummer reservation. I expect to have a Rivian in my driveway, but I hedged my bets with the Hummer reservation.
My R1T is currently priced at $95K, without the removable roof or crossbars, so I expect it to exceed $100K, that is my personal comparison.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was going to order a new gas pick up but did not because Rivian had a 400 mile electric truck available. Let me be clear, I held off selling my truck specifically because Rivian advertised they had a 400 mile truck available. I could eek out another year with my old truck in the meantime. I have significant experience living with an electric vehicle, I've owned a Tesla Model S for 6 years so I know I need 400 miles of range, period. 300 Miles will not work. I'm pissed and sad that Rivian decided to hold off on the 400 mile version. I can't figure out if they lied about the reason for not making the 400 mile version but I guess it doesn't matter. I will likely pull my order if they don't change their mind and either buy another gas truck or..... I don't know.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
148 Posts
@Nellmack I get the frustration. But I really don't ever remember they saying anything about the sequence the cars were going to be produced. There was a delay due to Covid, otherwise the 400 miles would be coming out on 2021. Sure we are all upset with it, but we cannot blame Rivian for the Covid delays. That would be unfair.

Maybe your expectations are due to your Tesla experience. Tesla seems to always prioritize the most expensive vehicles first. But to be honest, I am glad Rivian is going with the mid-range first. I think for the majority of the consumers, the mid range is a great option.

Can't you really wait until January 2022? At least wait to go and test drive the car first to see if it is worth the wait or not. Maybe you won't like the R1T anyways. Or maybe you fall in love with it and wait another few months.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts