Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right. Rivian should be more transparent in order to manage people’s expectations. Like by the end of 4th quarter those of us who reserved a 400 mile range version should at least be provided with an estimated delivery date. B/c honestly if at that time they told me I wouldn’t be getting my vehicle until late 2022 or early 2023 it’d be a completely different ballgame. I should add that I’m somewhat ticked that I gave Rivian a multi-year interest free loan ($1,000 Deposit) only to gain a one week advantage over others who did not to configure they’re vehicle. Then learned they pulled a Bait and Switch by delaying release of 400 mile range version. (I just need to vent y’all, LOL)
I have the same frustrations. I do a monthly round trip commute in a day to our remote offices, it's about 370 miles round trip. I'd prefer to be able to drive and return without taking the time to charge. The 400 mile range offering of the R1S doesn't appear even be an option now. Pretty frustrating that I'll have been on the list and waiting 20 months before I can even get the car that doesn't have the range they sold me on. Since the communication and options are so ever changing, I'm still a tad hopeful they will add the 400 mile R1S option later in 2021. If not, I will likely cancel my order.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The electric F-150 has certainly crossed my mind but they haven't revealed anything with specs yet that's blown me away. They did share a video of a prototype in the snow that's pretty cool.

I currently have a 2018 expedition maxx limited and would never own another Ford. At 8k miles my transmission went out. At 30k it went out again(I'm now at 31k). I've had several other issues between 8 and 30k miles ranging from electrical to other mechanical issues. Ford's are the biggest POS vehicles out there IMO. No chance I would give them a chance with an electric F150. Just hoping my current dumpster fire of a vehicle makes it until my Rivian shows up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My guess is that Rivian will have some involvement in the Ford truck based on their investment in Rivian and the fact that Ford, at one point, wanted Rivian to produce a model to be sold as a Lincoln.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Na, I'm not buying it. I'm obviously fine with the covid delay but when I made my decision to hold off on buying a new truck it was because Rivian advertised a 400 mile range truck. If they always said the 400 mile truck would be last to be produced I did not see that. If they did I'm wrong but I never saw a Rivian statement about the order of production. If I saw that timeline I would have purchased a new gas truck last year. And you are right about Tesla and their priorities.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
84 Posts
Na, I'm not buying it. I'm obviously fine with the covid delay but when I made my decision to hold off on buying a new truck it was because Rivian advertised a 400 mile range truck. If they always said the 400 mile truck would be last to be produced I did not see that. If they did I'm wrong but I never saw a Rivian statement about the order of production. If I saw that timeline I would have purchased a new gas truck last year. And you are right about Tesla and their priorities.
They never said either way. I agree it would have been best if they had announced the from the beginning which cars would be produced first. They didn't. But the problem was lack of information, not that they said something wrong.

·
Registered
132 Posts
They never said either way. I agree it would have been best if they had announced the from the beginning which cars would be produced first. They didn't. But the problem was lack of information, not that they said something wrong.
They actually did state that the largest pack would be produced first, it was on their web site for a long time. I think the delay is due to battery supplies. And this is my preorder confirmation email, clearly stating that largest pack would be first to production.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey EyeonRivian, Your timeline statement isn't entirely correct. I placed my order on Nov 27th, 2018. Now more than two years ago. Back then, they said they hoped to start deliveries by the end of 2019! I have all the emails. That soon changed later in 2019 to "early 2020". Then later the new target became "end of 2020". Then, conveniently for Rivian, Covid hit and gave them a perfect excuse to delay again this time by 6 months!
So the new target became what it is today, June 2021. I've been up and down on Rivian, not sure if I should keep it. I have since also placed an order for the Cyber Truck and currently drive a 2021 Tesla Model Y that I got in Nov 2020. Initially I was dismayed over the price of the Rivian, but now it seems almost a bargain compared to the Hummer. The Cyber truck specked out like the Rivian is in the same ballpark. Rivian still has the $7500 credit that Tesla no longer has.
Keep in mind, nobody yet knows how many trucks Rivian can initially produce, so assuming the rumored 30,000 pre-orders, and a production of say 1000 trucks a month?, means that most people won't see their Rivians late into 2022 and later anyway. For that reason, I am really happy that I will be one of the first to get mine, and cannot wait for it.
Does anyone have any ideas on how many trucks Rivian can produce initially? Per week? Per month?

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
84 Posts
They actually did state that the largest pack would be produced first, it was on their web site for a long time. I think the delay is due to battery supplies. And this is my preorder confirmation email, clearly stating that largest pack would be first to production.

View attachment 1111
You are right. I got the same email :(. I didn't remember this.
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 4.12.03 PM.png

·
Registered
406 Posts
My guess is that Rivian will have some involvement in the Ford truck based on their investment in Rivian and the fact that Ford, at one point, wanted Rivian to produce a model to be sold as a Lincoln.
The electric F-150 is on a different platform than the R1T so if Rivian is involved with it it's on a smaller level.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You are right. I got the same email :(. I didn't remember this.
View attachment 1116
Glad to see Rivian is including info on availability of the 105 kWh battery pack version.
This is what they report on the FAQ section of the Rivian.com site:

Can I configure the 105 kWh battery pack?
We’ll announce the timing of a lower priced, 250+ mile range R1T and R1S after launch.

Today you can configure the R1T and the R1S with the 300+ mile Large pack. You can also configure the R1T with the 400+ mile Max pack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Right. Rivian should be more transparent in order to manage people’s expectations. Like by the end of 4th quarter those of us who reserved a 400 mile range version should at least be provided with an estimated delivery date. B/c honestly if at that time they told me I wouldn’t be getting my vehicle until late 2022 or early 2023 it’d be a completely different ballgame. I should add that I’m somewhat ticked that I gave Rivian a multi-year interest free loan ($1,000 Deposit) only to gain a one week advantage over others who did not to configure they’re vehicle. Then learned they pulled a Bait and Switch by delaying release of 400 mile range version. (I just need to vent y’all, LOL)
I'm also unhappy with the bait and switch on battery for the launch version. I've had an electric car (LEAF) for over 9 years and already replaced the battery once. I am at the point of putting a new battery into the LEAF and getting another 4 years or getting a Rivian that I am now afraid will not meet my expectations. I'm also interested in level 5 self-driving. I wonder were that went?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also unhappy with the bait and switch on battery for the launch version. I've had an electric car (LEAF) for over 9 years and already replaced the battery once. I am at the point of putting a new battery into the LEAF and getting another 4 years or getting a Rivian that I am now afraid will not meet my expectations. I'm also interested in level 5 self-driving. I wonder were that went?
There's no bait and switch - you didn't show up at the delivery and get told "oh, we're out of 180's - here's a 135" - you're being told 8 months in advance here's what will be able to be delivered on a given date. There's been no discussion of Level 5 self driving - there's a video about their work on Level 3 - that's all they've ever said they're trying to do for now. Their website describe Driver+ capabilities that equate to the higher end of Level 2, plus a driver monitoring system, which Tesla doesn't even bother with, perhaps contributing to the 6 deaths (so far: TeslaDeaths.com: Digital record of Tesla crashes resulting in death ) while using "autopilot".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Too bad there is no history on their website.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's no bait and switch - you didn't show up at the delivery and get told "oh, we're out of 180's - here's a 135" - you're being told 8 months in advance here's what will be able to be delivered on a given date. There's been no discussion of Level 5 self driving - there's a video about their work on Level 3 - that's all they've ever said they're trying to do for now. Their website describe Driver+ capabilities that equate to the higher end of Level 2, plus a driver monitoring system, which Tesla doesn't even bother with, perhaps contributing to the 6 deaths (so far: TeslaDeaths.com: Digital record of Tesla crashes resulting in death ) while using "autopilot".
Interesting, there is no history on their website where it once said level 5 capable. And while I'm not that interested in your cherry picking crash statistic, I do want self driving capability. You may have talked me out of the rivian and into a much cheaper battery for my Leaf. Or even an ugly Aptera. I'll save a lot of money and I can get one when they offer what was originally on the menu. And, as originally ordered, I was supposed to have my 180 right about now. If I really want the 180, I'll have waited more than a year from the original delivery date. so your argument that I'm being told 8 months in advance is not accurate at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is my personal opinion that Rivian is a good company building a great product that I expect will have great build quality. If I had to wait an extra 6 months to have them roll out a great product that is unlike anything else currently available, I will.
Rivian will likely be first to market with an all electric pickup and SUV. Has the rollout been perfect? No. Do I wish they had the larger battery? Sure. But over 300 miles is more than most other offerings and it’s in a Truck!
I have a launch edition on order and I personally can not wait for it, that said, if a few more months means a fully fleshed product......I’m happy to wait.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is my personal opinion that Rivian is a good company building a great product that I expect will have great build quality. If I had to wait an extra 6 months to have them roll out a great product that is unlike anything else currently available, I will.
Rivian will likely be first to market with an all electric pickup and SUV. Has the rollout been perfect? No. Do I wish they had the larger battery? Sure. But over 300 miles is more than most other offerings and it’s in a Truck!
I have a launch edition on order and I personally can not wait for it, that said, if a few more months means a fully fleshed product......I’m happy to wait.
Steve, Thanks, I also have the launch edition on order (deposit Feb 2019) and if I buy it, I plan on keeping it for more than 10 years - but I'm afraid I will be disappointed.
At one point I was with you. but I need a near-term solution. My LEAF barely gets me to work and back (with climate control off). I was willing to use my wife's car for 6 months, not years. And I was hoping this would be the last year that I use my ICE 4x4 for trips up the mountain. The 300 mile range of the smaller pack may not get me there and back even though its only 260 miles round trip because of the 6000 ft elevation gain. I was also excited that I could potentially tell Siri or Alexa to take me up the mountain while lounging in a comfortable seat and actually seeing the countryside in lieu of focusing on the road.
I have been excited about Rivian. Watched every episode of Long way up, tracked the Rebelle Rally on a daily basis. I'm excited that they have a huge contract for electric delivery vehicles because it means infrastructure (where Tesla originally failed). but I am very disappointed that they switched to the smaller battery pack and dropped the level 5 capable - meaning the sensors, computational capacity and actuators/servos are no longer in the plan. So, in this case, the wait is much longer than 6 months. AND, it puts my $100 deposit for the wierdly shaped Tesla truck (broken windows and all) back in competition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interesting, there is no history on their website where it once said level 5 capable. And while I'm not that interested in your cherry picking crash statistic, I do want self driving capability. You may have talked me out of the rivian and into a much cheaper battery for my Leaf. Or even an ugly Aptera. I'll save a lot of money and I can get one when they offer what was originally on the menu. And, as originally ordered, I was supposed to have my 180 right about now. If I really want the 180, I'll have waited more than a year from the original delivery date. so your argument that I'm being told 8 months in advance is not accurate at all.
It's neither cherry picking nor a statistic when it is the complete count of an event. And no, you didn't order a Rivian - you put down a deposit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here's a quote from Rivian's head of autonomous driving in 2019:

Oliver Jeromin, Rivian’s Associate Director of Self-Driving, recently shed some light on the matter during an interview with TechCrunch.
“We want to embrace the challenge,” Jeromin said in response to a question over Rivian’s goal of bringing Level 3 autonomous driving to its vehicles versus other approaches. “There are mobility companies that are working on Level 4, and they’re looking at it kind of from the top down, coming from 4 or 5 for more fleet applications possibly… We want to get a feature into our customers hands sooner than possibly some of those other systems might be fully vetted,” he said.
I hit up the wayback machine (Yea, the internet does actually have a history) and could find no mention on Rivian's website of them ever saying level 5 autonomy would be part of the R1T or R1S. I also cannot find a single article from the press highlighting the same.

Anyone can make things up and then be unhappy about it. If you're this peeved then go replace your leaf battery and wait for some other manufacturer to come out with the truck you think you're entitled to.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts