Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As more people take deliveries, please take pictures or videos of your interiors and exteriors in good lighting and post in the Pictures thread so those of us still waiting can get a better idea of colors since there aren't many Rivians out there yet to see in person.
I'm still having trouble figuring out if Forest Edge interior is "green with a hint of grey" or "Grey with a hint of green" (hope the latter). I like the wood color of FE better than black stained wood and not sure about the blonde wood. Unless the white seats are guaranteed stain-proof, a white interior is just asking for trouble. It is really Tesla white, or is it light grey?

And I'd love to see a launch green vehicle parked next to a limestone vehicle. But most of all, I want to see all of them in person to make my choice.
Wait- Is launch green limited to Launch Edition vehicles only?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Unless the white seats are guaranteed stain-proof.....
"Guaranteed stain proof"? No one ever could or would guarantee that.

...a white interior is just asking for trouble.
The white interior of my Model Y was perfect when I got in in Nov 2020... and just as pristine when I sold it a year later.
Proof below... actual sale pictures sent to Carvana 10/2021, one year old Model Y white interior.

Plant Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Window Automotive design Head restraint

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty cool. Either you were obsessed about keeping them clean, or they are VERY stain-resistant (yes, I agree no one would ever guarantee stain proof- people would always find a way). I've seen white seats that have blue jean stains on them. Hope Rivian uses the same seat material as Tesla.
But as TessP100D has said many times on this forum, Rivian is not Tesla.

But back to Forest Edge: Anyone think it is it green with a hint of grey or Grey with a hint of green?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I saw FE at the First Mile Event in Normal and it looks more muted than I was expecting. I had it configured, but my guide said I could get my truck sooner if I switched to BM. I went ahead and switched, since the green strips in the seats and floor mats look good with the grey/black interior.

Here's a picture of FE.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Window Steering part

·
Registered
3 Posts
As more people take deliveries, please take pictures or videos of your interiors and exteriors in good lighting and post in the Pictures thread so those of us still waiting can get a better idea of colors since there aren't many Rivians out there yet to see in person.
I'm still having trouble figuring out if Forest Edge interior is "green with a hint of grey" or "Grey with a hint of green" (hope the latter). I like the wood color of FE better than black stained wood and not sure about the blonde wood. Unless the white seats are guaranteed stain-proof, a white interior is just asking for trouble. It is really Tesla white, or is it light grey?

And I'd love to see a launch green vehicle parked next to a limestone vehicle. But most of all, I want to see all of them in person to make my choice.
Wait- Is launch green limited to Launch Edition vehicles only?
I,m still waiting but went through an identical process as you described. I've settled on ElCap granite and Forest Edge but started with Blue and Ocean. Some of the stock pictures show the interior as greener than I would prefer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ll add more in coming days, but since it seems a lot of people want to know what Launch Green looks like in the , I figured I’d post a few I took on delivery day yesterday (including my dad checking out that flat underbelly, in the coincidentally matching color clothing he usually wears).

He’s still not sure if he wants to keep driving his 2015 Model S when it gets back from warranty full battery pack replacement (and let me use this beautiful beast as my work truck 🤞🏼), or use his new truck. He’s a real character when it comes to learning new things/adapting to change (which is ironic considering he’s been an early adopter of EVs for a decade.

he got the Forest Edge interior, and it’s awesome. I’ll also take some good photos of it before my dad gets it heinously dirty as he typically does (just dust and dirt and occasionally some spilled green tea, so this was probably the best color for him).

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Sky Cloud Car Vehicle

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’ll add more in coming days, but since it seems a lot of people want to know what Launch Green looks like in the , I figured I’d post a few I took on delivery day yesterday (including my dad checking out that flat underbelly, in the coincidentally matching color clothing he usually wears).

He’s still not sure if he wants to keep driving his 2015 Model S when it gets back from warranty full battery pack replacement (and let me use this beautiful beast as my work truck 🤞🏼), or use his new truck. He’s a real character when it comes to learning new things/adapting to change (which is ironic considering he’s been an early adopter of EVs for a decade.

he got the Forest Edge interior, and it’s awesome. I’ll also take some good photos of it before my dad gets it heinously dirty as he typically does (just dust and dirt and occasionally some spilled green tea, so this was probably the best color for him).

View attachment 6586
View attachment 6584
View attachment 6585
Green on green, very nice. Congrats. I see that they flatbedded it to you just like mine. Similarly, they used nylon straps attached to each wheel as anchor points. Did you or your dad carefully check the rims for scuff marks from the straps. All my rims suffered from scuff marks as a result. They are supposed to put some padding between the straps and the rims to prevent that from happening.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts

View attachment 6586
View attachment 6584
View attachment 6585
Congratulations @onesoil on your dad's new R1T! That's a great license plate for the truck. What does he think of the truck so far?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts

View attachment 6586
View attachment 6584
View attachment 6585
What do you think about build quality with your new Rivian versus the Tesla?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations @onesoil on your dad's new R1T! That's a great license plate for the truck. What does he think of the truck so far?
What do you think about build quality with your new Rivian versus the Tesla?
Thanks @MilesK—it is very exciting! The license plate has been continuously in his use since a dodge salesman pointed out that Compost was 7 letters when he was buying a truck in the '90s for his then startup, Vermont Compost Company. He was never a vanity plate guy, but the salesman pointed out that having Vermont Compost on the plate was some good inexpensive advertising, and it's stuck on one truck or another ever since.

My dad is a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to learning new interfaces, and has a serious aversion to new car smell (which is mostly outgassing phthalates, which gives him headaches pretty quickly), so he's been grumbling about it a bit, but I think he's starting to enjoy it. Compared to his Model S, our first observation is how much louder it is in day-to-day operations at lower speeds around our farm (much of the use case for him). When COVID hit, my dad took to using his Model S as somewhat of a Mobile office, where he could go check in on different departments of our business and conduct phone and zoom calls from different points on our site, so I think it will take some getting used to for him that if he's not in park, it's making artificial noise. The new requirements for noise making under 25mph coupled with the surprisingly loud HVAC and compressor make for a much louder experience than his Tesla overall. I hope that some day there will be some more choices for the artificial noises these trucks can make, because I find the particular tone the R1T makes to be a bit more grating than some others I've heard (though nothing beats the silence of older EVs in my opinion, though I do understand the legitimate safety concerns ).

He's used his Model S harder than just about any other one I've heard of/seen (basically like a work truck) in and around our farm and compost site—he's high-centered it a couple times, lost fender liners due to ice/mud buildup, and the car has had several major warranty issues that likely can't be attributed to his use of the car. Vermont is hard on cars, he's even harder on them, and Tesla barely services our area (anything substantial has to go to either Massachusetts, New York, or Montreal). We are hoping that a more purpose-built vehicle will be more durable for his use, and have our fingers crossed that Rivian will handle servicing their vehicles in our state much better than Tesla has. His Tesla has been away getting serviced for a total combined time of at least 5 months in the 5 years he's owned it (he purchased a used 2015 in 2017).

As for my general observations about the truck. I'll start with the things I'm not particularly impressed with, since we have all likely seen a lot of information about the positive attributes of this vehicle, which are plentiful.

Design decisions/features
  • The main screen interface needs some work, and has made some of the same mistakes Tesla made:
    • Frequently accessed UI elements shouldn't right align (or bottom align in the case of the vertical screen on the Model S); the driver should have access to more frequently accessed/time sensitive windows/buttons on upper left corner of the screen, so they don't have to look/reach all the way to the far side/corners—the most glaring example is the phone call pop-up, which shows up in a small window all the way to the right. In general, I don’t think screen-only interfaces for cars are a step in a better direction. I think some functions should have tactile controls/ knobs/switches (temperature, fan speed, volume, vent direction, etc). I know this isn’t the direction things are likely headed, but I personally think that the speed and ability to control certain functionality without looking off the road is to dove into a menu system makes tactile controles superior for many functions. But I digress…
    • Apple CarPlay (and android auto, though that doesn't apply us) should really be added if at all possible. My dad prefers having his phone in a cradle and interacting directly, but I found myself wishing I had CarPlay on the first 10+ minute drive I went on. Does anyone know why they didn't include it? Is it a licensing cost thing? If so, on a vehicle this expensive, it is a glaring omission, and should at a minimum be a paid software upgrade (which would sting, but I would do it).
  • A phone mounting location other than the windshield should exist. The Rivian system does not effectively replace all the functions of a smartphone, so there should be an elegant way to mount your phone to the dash. Something like the way the new Broncos have an accessory rail would have been nice. With this truck being marketed to the adventure/off-road/overland demographic, I'm shocked that they didn't think it necessary to make mounting an additional device possible, given that phones/iPads are commonly used for trail navigation. Maybe they will allow app downloads eventually, which could fix this, but for some (like my dad), there will be no viable replacement for having his phone visible, Windshield mounting isn't elegant, leaves nasty marks sometimes, isn't the most stable depending on the mount, and is not technically legal in VT (and other states).
  • The power tonneau should have separate forward/reverse buttons. You have to cycle in the opposite direction if you want to move it slightly forward/slightly backward from where it is. This is probably a minor/nonexistent annoyance to some, but it wouldn't have been hard to do, and a few times already, I found myself wanting to leave it in a specific position to cover some things at the front of the bed but leave enough room for my rear bike tire when slinging it over the tailgate, and then wanted to close it fully when parking at the trailhead, and you have to start retracting it, stop retracting, then hit it again to get it to close.
  • There should be a tailgate button on both sides, or one on the center of the tailgate for obvious reasons.
  • This hasn't been an issue for me yet, since I haven't towed anything, but instead of plastic flathead screws on the panel that covers the trailer hitch, they should have made them tool-less (finger tight screws with small tabs or something). This just seems like a silly decision to me, to require a flathead for two plastic screws that could easily be operated with fingers.

QC issues
  • Our truck has a very loud/annoying rattle above the passenger sun visor when on bumpy roads, and particularly over washboards on dirt roads. It seems like there is some missing sound deadening, or some other issue with interior panel fitment on the strip of headliner over the passenger seat that the visor folds onto. The gap between the glass roof and this alcantara covered plastic is about 1/4" larger on the passenger side than the drivers side, and it feels hollow/rattly (the rattling stops if you apply some pressure to the visor while driving). I will be bringing this up with the guide to see if they can fix the problem, otherwise I'm considering stuffing some sound deadening material in the gap because it's very annoying on many of our roads.
  • The passenger rear door trim is pretty misaligned. I'll post photos when I have a chance. I know it's a new company, and details like these are expected to be a bit off on very early examples from a new company, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
  • My dad claims the alignment is off, or at least that it pulls to the right at speeds. I haven't driven it enough myself to confirm, but this is something we will be reaching out to our Guide about. He has also noticed what seems like a wheel balance issue at 55 mph.

Positives
  • Range seems really good so far, especially in conserve mode.
  • Storage is well thought out and plentiful, for the most part, which I really appreciate.
  • Drift mode is verrrrry fun (only used once on a wide open dry packed dirt compost site we own). This mode was definitely engineered by people who understand that wheel slip, oversteer, and throttle steering shouldn't always be interfered with (unlike Tesla's philosophy). I appreciate this.
  • This much power with this much weight is a whole new sensation. It has a similar feeling to the thrust of a jet accelerating on takeoff—lots of mass moving very fast, very quickly.

I'll share more observations and photos as I get some more time in the truck! If/when Tesla returns my dad's Model S, I should get at least a couple weeks of time in the Rivian (and 🤞🏼 He just decided he likes the S better).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts