Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Would you prefer the R1T or R1S if you could have it delivered exactly how you want it?

• R1T

• R1S

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, 600hp Fisker Karma
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my R1T 3 weeks ago and after spending countless hours talking with other current owners, future owners, and Rivian/EV fanatics I have found that if given the option to own either the truck or SUV they would take the SUV. Super interested to see what you all think and if you have a second why.

I'll start, as an R1T owner, I would take the R1S over the R1T for its superior off-road capability and easier access to the trunk for my two dogs. Overall, I love my R1T though.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd go with the R1T, I think it provides more of the versatility I'm looking for compared to the R1S. If I needed the 7 seats I'd go R1S but that's not the case.

@jbubby101 What makes you think the R1S is better for offroad than the R1T? Have you tried it with your truck?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I reserved the SUV so I vote SUV... duh.

I think you have it backwards, the R1T is probably the better off-roader if for no other reason than it has a full size spare. Although, I suspect the R1T is a little lighter too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'd go with the R1T, I think it provides more of the versatility I'm looking for compared to the R1S. If I needed the 7 seats I'd go R1S but that's not the case.

@jbubby101 What makes you think the R1S is better for offroad than the R1T? Have you tried it with your truck?
With everything else being the same, the shorter wheelbase should be beneficial off-road for the R1S. Shorter turn radius and better break over angles.

The longer wheelbase gives the truck higher towing capacities.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reserved the SUV so I vote SUV... duh.

I think you have it backwards, the R1T is probably the better off-roader if for no other reason than it has a full size spare. Although, I suspect the R1T is a little lighter too.
Wow, I didn't even think about the spare tire for the R1S. I'm pretty sure that the R1S has a better approach angle, and I'm not sure if this is true for EV trucks, but most ice trucks suffer from the problem that with little weight in the back it can cause them to lose a significant amount of grip in the back.
I also prefer the R1S for its better off-road capability, having a shorter wheelbase helps a lot.
View attachment 5178

View attachment 5177
Thank you for posting this! I was trying to find this very image. I wonder where the best place to put a spare is? Trunk?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, I didn't even think about the spare tire for the R1S. I'm pretty sure that the R1S has a better approach angle, and I'm not sure if this is true for EV trucks, but most ice trucks suffer from the problem that with little weight in the back it can cause them to lose a significant amount of grip in the back.

Thank you for posting this! I was trying to find this very image. I wonder where the best place to put a spare is? Trunk?
They both should be pretty capable off-road. There are some trade-offs between the two but really they aren't that far apart. Depends on how hardcore you are when off-roading I guess. For me either one would work fine. I took a new Bronco off-roading recently. Holy crap those are good off-road... really really good.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
With everything else being the same, the shorter wheelbase should be beneficial off-road for the R1S. Shorter turn radius and better break over angles.

The longer wheelbase gives the truck higher towing capacities.
It depends on what type of offroading you do. The "shorter wheelbase is better" is a gross over simplification. Rock crawling? Probably. Desert running? Definitely want the longer wheel base.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Not sure the appeal of the R1S (5 person). That is essentially what an R1T can do, but you can haul taller stuff, dirty the bed more, you get the gear tunnel + seats, and possibly an electric tonneau cover. The R1S is just like every other SUV in the world. Hard pass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure the appeal of the R1S (5 person). That is essentially what an R1T can do, but you can haul taller stuff, dirty the bed more, you get the gear tunnel + seats, and possibly an electric tonneau cover. The R1S is just like every other SUV in the world. Hard pass.
There is no 5 person R1S anymore, they are all 7 seaters. Personally, I like the enclosed back behind the second row seats. I have no need for third row seating nor do I have a need for the open bed of a pickup truck so I went with the R1S. Plus, I think it looks better than the truck version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the R1S on order because I can put the back seats down flat and use it for sleeping in. I have a tent that attaches to the back of an SUV and is free standing when I drive the car away thus avoiding the problem of constantly dismantling an "on the bed" tent. I can also take the kids and grandkids out for an adventure and get them screaming when I put it in drift mode.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They both should be pretty capable off-road. There are some trade-offs between the two but really they aren't that far apart. Depends on how hardcore you are when off-roading I guess. For me either one would work fine. I took a new Bronco off-roading recently. Holy crap those are good off-road... really really good.
It's great to hear the Bronco is a capable off-roader. In less than a month, I'm planning on writing an article comparing the four-door bronco with the r1t, really excited to frankly see how those sasquatch tires do verse the ones on the R1T.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the R1S on order because I can put the back seats down flat and use it for sleeping in. I have a tent that attaches to the back of an SUV and is free standing when I drive the car away thus avoiding the problem of constantly dismantling an "on the bed" tent. I can also take the kids and grandkids out for an adventure and get them screaming when I put it in drift mode.
Interesting setup, do you plan on keeping a spare in the vehicle? If I get an R1S I'm going to probably keep the spare in the trunk, but if your Overlanding would you put it on the roof?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It depends on what type of offroading you do. The "shorter wheelbase is better" is a gross over simplification. Rock crawling? Probably. Desert running? Definitely want the longer wheel base.
That is a good point. One of my biggest concerns with the R1T when off-roading is the width of it. If I remember correctly it is 5 inches wider than the Gladiator. I'm guessing the R1S and R1T share the same width?

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's great to hear the Bronco is a capable off-roader. In less than a month, I'm planning on writing an article comparing the four-door bronco with the r1t, really excited to frankly see how those sasquatch tires do verse the ones on the R1T.
The one I drove is a four door and has the sasquatch package. It was unstoppable and just felt like it could go through anything. We were in the California desert out near 29 Palms. Lots of sand and rocks. My friend with the 4x4 F250 got stuck once in soft sand and the Bronco just drove around his truck in circles with ease. My other friend in his Tacoma TRD Pro pulled the F250 out. I never even had to take the Bronco out of 4H. We did drive up to one of the abandoned mines in the area and there was no way the F250 was going up there. The Bronco did it with ease. Out of the three the Bronco was by far the most capable off-roader of the bunch. Great turning radius too. I would love to own a Bronco but it is too compromised on the road to be a daily driver. It gets horrible mileage, the windows are frameless and don't seal well plus there is road noise and wind noise. Still, it is worlds better than the Jeep Wrangler. I just don't think I could live with it.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one I drove is a four door and has the sasquatch package. It was unstoppable and just felt like it could go through anything. We were in the California desert out near 29 Palms. Lots of sand and rocks. My friend with the 4x4 F250 got stuck once in soft sand and the Bronco just drove around his truck in circles with ease. My other friend in his Tacoma TRD Pro pulled the F250 out. I never even had to take the Bronco out of 4H. We did drive up to one of the abandoned mines in the area and there was no way the F250 was going up there. The Bronco did it with ease. Out of the three the Bronco was by far the most capable off-roader of the bunch. Great turning radius too. I would love to own a Bronco but it is too compromised on the road to be a daily driver. It gets horrible mileage, the windows are frameless and don't seal well plus there is road noise and wind noise. Still, it is worlds better than the Jeep Wrangler. I just don't think I could live with it.

View attachment 5189
So unfortunate that Ford was unable to tick the boxes for livability. In my opinion, for ICE vehicles it is the best looking off-roader in its class and from what you said it sounds like the most capable. Really intrigued to see how it stacks up with the R1T given that before the pricehike the top end Bronco was a competitor to the R1S.

Are you planning on overlanding the R1T (or S)?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We took my wife's Range Rover out there last May. It did fine but I did pick up a flat with it.

View attachment 5190
Beautiful Range Rover sport. I just posted a thread about using a gas or diesel generator for the R1T. I think you might find it interesting. I'm trying to see if anyone knows a way to use a generator to power the R1T in case an owner runs out of power in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a tough question that I've been wrestling with for months. I ordered an R1T, but have gone back and forth between the R1T and the R1S. I don't do much offroading, so for me the major advantages break down like this:

R1S:
  • Can have a comfortable, climate-controlled place to sleep if needed (even more convenient with interior electrical outlets and self leveling rumored to be coming)
  • Secured storage area
  • Shorter, so fits garage better and may be a more convenient daily driver

R1T:
  • Easily transport bikes with gate cover
  • Bed offers versatility to carry just about anything

I started with an R1T, but honestly don't need a truck most of the time and really like the advantages of the R1S (you could throw an air mattress, mini-fridge and a portable shower in it and live out of that thing on a cross-country road trip if you wanted). So I switched to an R1S, but then I thought about what I would use most often. For example, I like the idea of being able to travel/sleep in an R1S, but I doubt I'd do it very often, if ever. On the other hand, I haul my bikes a couple miles from my house to the trailhead very frequently and the convenience of throwing the bike in the bed of the R1T without having to deal with bike racks is something I'd appreciate every week. Given that analysis, I switched back to the R1T. However, I may go back to the R1S because it will fit in my garage much more easily. So there you go -- I'm still on the fence and trying to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts