Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Which Option

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
I’m in Alaska. I run dedicated winter tires (Nokian Hakkas) on all my vehicles (LX570, model 3, Subaru, MB e 4 matic). 3 peak or not, AT tires tend to suck on packed snow and ice. At 7k lbs the R1T could be somewhat of a sled under braking on slick roads, if/when I get mine it will have a 2nd set of wheels with true winter tires.

looks like Nokian make the Hakka 9 and the new 10 in 275/50-21

I run wildpeaks (previously ran K02’s) as my summer tires on my LX. I’ll probably switch to my studded Hakka 9’s next weekend. We are already getting snow on the mountains next to my house.

· Registered
Rivian R1T Adventure Edition
19 Posts
I’m in Alaska. I run dedicated winter tires (Nokian Hakkas) on all my vehicles (LX570, model 3, Subaru, MB e 4 matic). 3 peak or not, AT tires tend to suck on packed snow and ice. At 7k lbs the R1T could be somewhat of a sled under braking on slick roads, if/when I get mine it will have a 2nd set of wheels with true winter tires.

looks like Nokian make the Hakka 9 and the new 10 in 275/50-21

I run wildpeaks (previously ran K02’s) as my summer tires on my LX. I’ll probably switch to my studded Hakka 9’s next weekend. We are already getting snow on the mountains next to my house.
These look great, but are they weight rated for the R1T?
Poll Time!!

Im trying to solve for winter driving in MT. Currently have the OEM 21” wheels where the tires get poor deep, light and ice ratings on tirerack.com

Possible tire option: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....CORWXLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
I'm in the same boat, but I'm first trying to figure-out if the tirerack rating is applicable to the R1T given the quad motors. Does anyone have first-hand experience with an R1T in the snow equipped with the stock 21"tires? That seems like a great first step. The tires above look great, but they are really $$$$. Do they meet the weight requirements for the R1T?

· Registered
Rivian R1T Adventure Edition
19 Posts
Not sure what ratings you are looking at, but on Tire Rack, I see no "Poor" rating for the 21" Pirelli tires. See below.

View attachment 8483

View attachment 8484
Good catch. They are only 0.1 from being good. So maybe they will be just fine depending on your situation. Regardless, this has been a difficult question for many and I haven't seen anything substantial about realtime experiences driving the R1T equipped with 21" in winter snow yet. Surely there are people out there that have been through one winter with their R1T's?

· Registered
522 Posts
These look great, but are they weight rated for the R1T?

I'm in the same boat, but I'm first trying to figure-out if the tirerack rating is applicable to the R1T given the quad motors. Does anyone have first-hand experience with an R1T in the snow equipped with the stock 21"tires? That seems like a great first step. The tires above look great, but they are really $$$$. Do they meet the weight requirements for the R1T?
Yes, rated to 2540 lbs per tire. So can handle up to 10,160 GVWR.

on the whole dedicated winter tires vs all seasons. My 0.02, it is highly dependent on where you live and drive in the winter and how well you want your vehicle to handle.

l run dedicated winters on all my vehicles (well the ones that I drive in the winter, so not the track cars or gt3). And I’ve only owned AWD vehicles since I’ve been driving: Subarus, Audis, 4matic MBs, duel motor teslas, land cruisers). I want my winter driving to be the safest and as close as possibly to dry roads. I’ve always figures that if winter tires save me from one wreck they are more than worth it. Knock on wood this will be well over my 30th winter and the only accident I’ve been involved in was being rear ended by someone not on winter tires. For those that have run a great set of winter tires the difference is night and day. I have friends up here in Alaska that use all seasons every time they get in my truck they are amazed how little it slides. I look at it as thriving instead of just surviving.

All that and I will say I did spend 3 winters in The mountains of NE TN during my training early 2000’s. Had an Audi Allroad and did all weather tires year round as we had (relatively) short winters with little snow/ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts