Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Are going to be buying the Rivian home charger?

• Yes, I'll stick with Rivian

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • No, I'm going with another home charger

Votes: 22 24.2%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we know Rivian's home wall charger is going to cost $500, how many people are going to order one instead of going with a third party?

Answer the poll below and let's see what the numbers are. If you aren't ordering a Rivian home charger reply with which one you're ordering or already have installed at your home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I plan on ordering a home charger; we are setting up a subpanel for it this week. Circuits will be connected to the propane fired generator as well. Don't want power outages leaving me stranded...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
384 Posts
I live in a condo with limited options. A couple of other Tesla owners have had NEMA 14-50 outlets installed and wired into their HVAC units which are located in the underground parking garage. They were lucky in that their parking space was close to their HVAC unit. Mine is at the opposite end of the garage, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do. There’s free public charging less than a mile from my place with CCS and J-1772, and that’s how I charge my Tesla. May just continue to do that for free with the Rivian vs. going to the trouble of installing something and paying to charge at the condo.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was on the fence, but once it was announced the Rivian EVSE was $500 and has a 5 year warranty I was sold. I assume integration with a single smartphone app will also exist so it’s a no-brainer, to me. None of the other EVSEs I had short-listed had a better feature list or warranty, so KISS!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am definitely buying the Rivian Home Charger as we had our new home built, we wired the garage for EV charging capabilities. 👍

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
124 Posts
I am leaning that way but will make the decision closer to when I have to. The charger does seem like a good product but will wait to hear reviews and how it compares to others on the market.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now that we know Rivian's home wall charger is going to cost $500, how many people are going to order one instead of going with a third party?

Answer the poll below and let's see what the numbers are. If you aren't ordering a Rivian home charger reply with which one you're ordering or already have installed at your home.

View attachment 2157
Yes, I will purchase the Rivian home charger. I already have a Tesla home charger and my M3 came with adapter kit for road trips sooo just a matter of convenience.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I plan to buy the Rivian charger. The integration, the warranty, the price all seem great. I’m just trying to decide if I should get a second one for camp now (or at delivery) and save $200. I see they go up to $700 if you buy them separately after delivery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being that it's designed to function with the Rivian AND will function with any other EV as well, it's a no-brainer. $500 is pretty cheap for a Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but what is the difference between EVSE and V2H? And how does that factor into the decision making charging process? As for me, well, I was smart enough to have installed a dedicated 50 AMP receptacle in my garage to power our motor coach a few days before we go camping. A dedicated 50 amp service is good for "up to" 16 miles of charge per hour using the portable charger. Not sure the $500 for a home mounted charger for 25 miles per hour is value added, unless it is as simple and plugging the wall mounted charger into the 50 amp outlet and mounting the charger on the wall. No muss, no fuss, and no electrician???

·
Registered
651 Posts
Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but what is the difference between EVSE and V2H? And how does that factor into the decision making charging process? As for me, well, I was smart enough to have installed a dedicated 50 AMP receptacle in my garage to power our motor coach a few days before we go camping. A dedicated 50 amp service is good for "up to" 16 miles of charge per hour using the portable charger. Not sure the $500 for a home mounted charger for 25 miles per hour is value added, unless it is as simple and plugging the wall mounted charger into the 50 amp outlet and mounting the charger on the wall. No muss, no fuss, and no electrician???
EVSE is Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. People erroneously call it the "charger" which it's not... But it is the box that you mount on your wall that has the cable you plug into your EV to charge.

V2H is "Vehicle to Home". A normal EVSE lets power flow from your load center (electrical panel in your home) to your vehicle to charge the battery pack. With V2H, you would have a switch to disconnect your load center from the grid (may be automatic or manual) and the vehicle battery will power the home. Rivian does not support this, at this time. It's a "wish list" item for some people.

You won't get 25 miles per hour on a 50A circuit. You'd need a 60A circuit and a hardwired EVSE that supports 48A charging to get the full 25 miles per hour rate. On a 50A circuit you're limited to 40A charging.... So you'll get approximately 20.5 miles of range per hour.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You won't get 25 miles per hour on a 50A circuit. You'd need a 60A circuit and a hardwired EVSE that supports 48A charging to get the full 25 miles per hour rate. On a 50A circuit you're limited to 40A charging.... So you'll get approximately 20.5 miles of range per hour.
Your math is right and I think ERivTruck was referring to the basic EVSE that comes with the Rivian which is advertised at 16 miles charge per hour (probably 32 amp).

In any case, would love to see the late 2022/2023 R1Ts come out with not only a V2H option but also with a higher Level 2 charge rate to better compete with Ford, etc. Adding V2H can hopefully be achieved with an OTA software update (of course the homeowner will need to install the appropriate transfer switch to protect linemen down the road). The more EVSE amperage would likely require an upgraded Rivian EVSE and perhaps different inverter hardware on the vehicle. Looking at the F-150 Lightening and Cyber Truck where the former promises up to 80 amps of recharging plus V2H, I think it is inevitable that RIvian offers these upgrades, just don't know how soon That said, I would think that 80 or 100 Amp draws would basically max out most homes in America today.

But I digress.... Yes, I plan on buying the Rivian EVSE. It is competitively priced and I hope that the software is seamless. One less App to manage!:sneaky: But to be honest, I think ERivTruck is right that the 16-mile basic charger that is included would likely suffice for most people's driving needs compared to the 25-mile range "upgrade" in question.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you all. I learned a lot already. Doing the basic math in my head, I figure a 300 mile range is really like 275. Figuring on the "1/4" tank logic of a gas car fill up, I would need to charge the truck up (worst case at 50 miles). That makes about 225 miles to charge overnight at 16 miles/hour. Using their supplied adaptor, I could recharge the truck "fully" in just a tick over 14 hours. While not optimal, I could park the truck from the time I get home until the next day charging.

With that said, can someone explain what would be needed to be installed at a house to make the wall mounted EVSE usable? A dedicated 60 amp circuit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
the NEMA 14-50 is what most use with EVs...it allows for level 2 charging and it's likely all you'll need for home use. Simple plug-ins (level 1) only give you several miles per hour, so the level 2 is preferred.

·
Registered
575 Posts
For $500 you can't really go wrong in my opinion, especially from the manufacturer. I'm definitely going with the Rivian charger.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts