Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Are you waiting on the extended range battery?

• Yes

Votes: 53 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 10.6%
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rivians largest battery pack, the 180 kWh option with 400+ miles of EPA-estimated range, will be available January 2022. About 7 months after launch, when Rivian originally said the max pack would be delivered along with other battery variants available at the same time. Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't need a 400 mile range. I do limited towing for now and there is already enough charging infrastructure on highways for me to travel nearly everywhere in the US. Over the life of my owning the R1T the charging infrastructure for both on-road and off-road travelling will (much more with the on-road) become ubiquitous enough that my only drawback will be more frequent stops at the charger.

I try to take life in as chill of a fashion as possible, so I'm already just fine with that.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Undecided wasn’t a choice, so I said no. I don’t want the 400 pack, but I may need it for a pretty common trip I do from ParkCity, UT to my cabin in southwest WY. It’s 135 miles each way, with no chargers on the route. It has a fair amount of elevation change, and 15 miles each way is on poorly maintained dirt roads. I don’t think the 300 mile battery can make it round trip. I’d have to go about an hour out of my way either inbound or outbound to hit a charger. I’m sure there will eventually be a charger in Evanston, WY, but it’s not currently a planned location for either Rivian RAN or Electrify America. My cabin is off grid with just a small solar system, so I’m doubting the viability of charging there. I will make a final decision just prior to when I need to finalize my LE order and base it on how much longer I’d need to wait to get the 400 mile pack.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Undecided wasn’t a choice, so I said no. I don’t want the 400 pack, but I may need it for a pretty common trip I do from ParkCity, UT to my cabin in southwest WY. It’s 135 miles each way, with no chargers on the route. It has a fair amount of elevation change, and 15 miles each way is on poorly maintained dirt roads. I don’t think the 300 mile battery can make it round trip. I’d have to go about an hour out of my way either inbound or outbound to hit a charger. I’m sure there will eventually be a charger in Evanston, WY, but it’s not currently a planned location for either Rivian RAN or Electrify America. My cabin is off grid with just a small solar system, so I’m doubting the viability of charging there. I will make a final decision just prior to when I need to finalize my LE order and base it on how much longer I’d need to wait to get the 400 mile pack.
I just added that option to the poll. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
You need to take into account idle discharge as well. If your car sits for a week or 2 at the cabin you will get some discharge so seems like you would need someplace to add a little juice to accomodate for that.

I know if I leave the Tesla in the garage for 7 to 10 days I can lose sometimes 10 or 15 miles of range.

That is an issue if you take it to the airport as well for a trip.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Rivians largest battery pack, the 180 kWh option with 400+ miles of EPA-estimated range, will be available January 2022. About 7 months after launch, when Rivian originally said the max pack would be delivered along with other battery variants available at the same time. Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?
R1S & R1T Max Pack on my end

·
Registered
57 Posts
It would be nice, but this will more than likely affect your place in line if you are awaiting delivery after January 2022.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I picked undecided only because I want to see some sort of range testing numbers first. But when push comes to shove I'd rather get my vehicle sooner than later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today Rivian announced the warranty info stating they would cover 70% batt capacity degradation over 8 years. I simplified the warranty a bit, but that means in 8 years they expect to see ~100 miles drop off! Obviously this is worst case scenario, but that means a 310 mile best case would be ~220 miles after 8 years. 410 pack would be ~300 miles after 8 years (13 miles lost yearly). Bigger battery is almost a must depending on how long you keep the car for. Fuzzy math, but you get the point!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Today Rivian announced the warranty info stating they would cover 70% batt capacity degradation over 8 years. I simplified the warranty a bit, but that means in 8 years they expect to see ~100 miles drop off! Obviously this is worst case scenario, but that means a 310 mile best case would be ~220 miles after 8 years. 410 pack would be ~300 miles after 8 years (13 miles lost yearly). Bigger battery is almost a must depending on how long you keep the car for. Fuzzy math, but you get the point!
If you do research on Teslas I think you will find that is not the case
Also in my opinion in a few years a way better battery will come along and we will be wanting to put those in
But LIFE IS SHORT AND CAN BE OVER IN A INSTANT
Been waiting for a Electric Truck since around 2000
It's time
Is it June yet

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you do research on Teslas I think you will find that is not the case
Also in my opinion in a few years a way better battery will come along and we will be wanting to put those in
But LIFE IS SHORT AND CAN BE OVER IN A INSTANT
Been waiting for a Electric Truck since around 2000
It's time
Is it June yet
So true! In my Tesla, I lost closer to 3-5 miles a year, so totally exaggerated!

·
Registered
214 Posts
And even the Tesla Roadsters have still not had 1 complete battery failure 2006 and still kicking so I think we will be fine

·
Registered
121 Posts
We'll be towing with our Rivian, and even though it's an easy load (a 2,000 lb teardrop camper), it will still significantly impact range. We also hope to get to some fairly remote places in North America with the camper. Even if the Rivian Adventure Network is succssful in getting chargers in most national parks and forests, we still have to navigate through some substantial charging deserts from our home base in PA. Getting through the charging Saharas of Canada presents an even bigger challenge. The Max pack is essential.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am waiting for the Max pack. Until Rivian has had a couple years of building out their charging network, it will be nice to have the extra range. Plus some towing from time to time.
Rivian will show other charging netoworks on the App and the navigation screen, so there's that.
Are there enough chargers around you already?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great to see these results and the big divide.

So far...

20 voted yes
30 voted no
6 voted maybe

Keep them coming!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts