Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Are you waiting on the extended range battery?

• Yes

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 9.3%
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rivians largest battery pack, the 180 kWh option with 400+ miles of EPA-estimated range, will be available January 2022. About 7 months after launch, when Rivian originally said the max pack would be delivered along with other battery variants available at the same time. Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?
I opted to wait for the 400+ mile version . . . I was bummed that I couldn't get the Launch Edition, but the big part of the reason I put a deposit down in the first place was the range

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rivians largest battery pack, the 180 kWh option with 400+ miles of EPA-estimated range, will be available January 2022. About 7 months after launch, when Rivian originally said the max pack would be delivered along with other battery variants available at the same time. Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?
I would prefer the max pack, but want it sooner so I chose the Launch Edition. Will be towing an Airstream (5000#) and one stop at a fast charger/day is doable to go the 300 - 325 miles I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I opted to wait for the 400+ mile version . . . I was bummed that I couldn't get the Launch Edition, but the big part of the reason I put a deposit down in the first place was the range
For some folks, that don't go more than 50 miles a day, and rarely travel long distance. Or tow a boat or trailer, AND have a garage with a 240volt charging network, 300 miles of range may be totally good.

If you live in very cold environments, or travel between cities to see your other office locations, or family, the 400+ range will come in handy. Especially until the Rivian charger network is built out more.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would prefer the max pack, but want it sooner so I chose the Launch Edition. Will be towing an Airstream (5000#) and one stop at a fast charger/day is doable to go the 300 - 325 miles I'm looking for.
Welcome to the forum @Keithndeborah. Where are you located and what is the rest of the charging infrastructure like around you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Living in Buffalo, NY, figure the 400 pack will come in handy during winter get-a-ways (<40% loss for heat will get me 240 miles or so, less if my wife lets me buy a toy to tow...). Might even help with resale when it comes time for a R5T. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those of you that are new to EVs, the max range isn't that important in terms of the maximum miles you can travel, but it is very important when it comes to winter travel and towing which will significantly reduce the rated range. The bigger battery is also unbelievably important on extended trips. I don't think we yet know the tapering curve on Rivian's batteries, but it is EXTREMELY important when doing long distance trips. The bigger the battery, the quicker you can get enough charge to get to your destination or to the next charging station.

For example with my Model S, the maximum charge rate is at 118 kW at just over 20%, and that quickly tapers down to 82kW at around 45%, and declines even more quickly from there. 82kW is still a decent charge speed, but from that point on, the charge is very slow. If Rivian's taper curve is similar, then 45% of 400 miles is 180 while 45% of 300 mile is only 135 miles. That might not seem like much of a difference, but it's basically 3 hours of driving range vs. 2 hours of driving range (in ideal conditions, and much less than that if towing or driving in cold weather). The bigger battery allows you much more flexibility to drive in the lower end of the charge state where charge times are much, much faster.

So just don't focus on "I'll never need 400 miles of range because there are plenty of charging stations." That is true, but if you're traveling with young kids on a long journey, it's much better to make a 20 minute stop with a bigger battery to add as many miles of range as a 40 minute stop will give you with a smaller battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those of you that are new to EVs, the max range isn't that important in terms of the maximum miles you can travel, but it is very important when it comes to winter travel and towing which will significantly reduce the rated range. The bigger battery is also unbelievably important on extended trips. I don't think we yet know the tapering curve on Rivian's batteries, but it is EXTREMELY important when doing long distance trips. The bigger the battery, the quicker you can get enough charge to get to your destination or to the next charging station.

For example with my Model S, the maximum charge rate is at 118 kW at just over 20%, and that quickly tapers down to 82kW at around 45%, and declines even more quickly from there. 82kW is still a decent charge speed, but from that point on, the charge is very slow. If Rivian's taper curve is similar, then 45% of 400 miles is 180 while 45% of 300 mile is only 135 miles. That might not seem like much of a difference, but it's basically 3 hours of driving range vs. 2 hours of driving range (in ideal conditions, and much less than that if towing or driving in cold weather). The bigger battery allows you much more flexibility to drive in the lower end of the charge state where charge times are much, much faster.

So just don't focus on "I'll never need 400 miles of range because there are plenty of charging stations." That is true, but if you're traveling with young kids on a long journey, it's much better to make a 20 minute stop with a bigger battery to add as many miles of range as a 40 minute stop will give you with a smaller battery.
Great explanation.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Your R1T pulling the Airstream is going to look sweet on the highway. Is you Airstream an older one or newer one?

·
Registered
468 Posts

Well put @Dublin ‘Eer. Are you planning on doing any towing with your R1S?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Living in Buffalo, NY, figure the 400 pack will come in handy during winter get-a-ways (<40% loss for heat will get me 240 miles or so, less if my wife lets me buy a toy to tow...). Might even help with resale when it comes time for a R5T. ;)
What "toy to tow" would you want to get?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Undecided wasn’t a choice, so I said no. I don’t want the 400 pack, but I may need it for a pretty common trip I do from ParkCity, UT to my cabin in southwest WY. It’s 135 miles each way, with no chargers on the route. It has a fair amount of elevation change, and 15 miles each way is on poorly maintained dirt roads. I don’t think the 300 mile battery can make it round trip. I’d have to go about an hour out of my way either inbound or outbound to hit a charger. I’m sure there will eventually be a charger in Evanston, WY, but it’s not currently a planned location for either Rivian RAN or Electrify America. My cabin is off grid with just a small solar system, so I’m doubting the viability of charging there. I will make a final decision just prior to when I need to finalize my LE order and base it on how much longer I’d need to wait to get the 400 mile pack.
Interesting post. Perhaps a small job-site-styled generator at your cabin might do the trick. First, it might help expand your small solar array and a 120-volt system would help get you back to home without a problem. However, the other side of the coin is that ranges are only going to increase. So, getting the longer-range battery might be akin to purchasing the more expensive but powerful computer available, usually a good choice over time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting that the primary driver for this group's decision seems to be wait time for the max pack. Is nobody else deterred by the additional $10K? That's what made my decision easy to go with the large pack.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts