Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Are you waiting on the extended range battery?

• Yes

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 42 48.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 9.3%
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting that the primary driver for this group's decision seems to be wait time for the max pack. Is nobody else deterred by the additional $10K? That's what made my decision easy to go with the large pack.
Sure, I’d love to not spend the $10k, but I don’t want to find myself suck with a vehicle that doesn’t meet my needs. I’d rather spend the $10k (rip the bandaid off, sort of pain) and just be happy for a long time.

If I didn’t get the MAX pack and ever found myself in a situation where that extra range mattered, then I’d really kick myself; and with vehicle depreciation, it’d cost a heck of a lot more than $10k to rectify.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure, I’d love to not spend the $10k, but I don’t want to find myself suck with a vehicle that doesn’t meet my needs. I’d rather spend the $10k (rip the bandaid off, sort of pain) and just be happy for a long time.

If I didn’t get the MAX pack and ever found myself in a situation where that extra range mattered, then I’d really kick myself; and with vehicle depreciation, it’d cost a heck of a lot more than $10k to rectify.
Totally get that, and agreed on principle. I just found it interesting that $10K wasn't a large enough number to scare off some of the folks here so much as wait time was. For my needs, I'm not overly concerned about range with the large pack -- but would I spend an extra $5K for the max? Sure. $7K? Maybe. Definitely not for $10K. Commodore: I'm curious, would you still rip the bandaid off for the max pack at $15K if you're mostly concerned about the "what if" scenario where extra range matters?

·
Registered
71 Posts
It feels like we're outliers on this, but we didn't see $10k worth of value for the extra ~100 miles of range. We just don't do that many long-distance trips, so the extra time spent when we do seemed like a reasonable trade off. We also don't like the idea of all the extra mining and resources the larger pack would generate in the name of saving us all of 4 or 6 hours of charging per year. We'll give up a little convenience to save $10k and reduce our impact while still having a more-than-capable vehicle that meets all of our needs.

Others' situations may be different in terms of the types of trips they do or the utility of $10k, but for us, waiting 6 months to pay more for something we would hardly ever actually need just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't see the 10K as being out of line. I saw estimates that 70% of the vehicle cost is related to the batteries. You are adding 33% more battery (45kwh) going from 135 to 180 so it is a significant additional cost if those reports are accurate.

I know Tesla had an even higher costs going from 75 kwh to 100 kwh and that was only an additional 25kwh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't see the 10K as being out of line. I saw estimates that 70% of the vehicle cost is related to the batteries. You are adding 33% more battery (45kwh) going from 135 to 180 so it is a significant additional cost if those reports are accurate.

I know Tesla had an even higher costs going from 75 kwh to 100 kwh and that was only an additional 25kwh.
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Rivian is gouging or that $10K is out of line. But depending on your usage case, you must admit that the value proposition is one of diminishing returns. I know the range #s are somewhat of a fiction; nevertheless using as an example, I would absolutely pay $10K to go from 200 to 300 miles range. Personally, the jump from 300 to 400 is not worth $10K, and I was just curious what that breaking point is for others.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Totally get that, and agreed on principle. I just found it interesting that $10K wasn't a large enough number to scare off some of the folks here so much as wait time was. For my needs, I'm not overly concerned about range with the large pack -- but would I spend an extra $5K for the max? Sure. $7K? Maybe. Definitely not for $10K. Commodore: I'm curious, would you still rip the bandaid off for the max pack at $15K if you're mostly concerned about the "what if" scenario where extra range matters?
At $15k the balance would probably swing in favor of the GMC Hummer EV truck.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Looks like it should be behind a CyberTruck.
Definitely not something I'd haul with the R1T or R1S but we'll eventually have options that are more suitable.
Any camper/travel trailer brands you guys prefer?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was seriously looking at the R1S, but the reduced towing range is pushing my needs, and no Max pack option yet has me nervous. Decided on the R1T for the range and extra towing capacity. Taking a fully loaded horse trailer 75 miles each way with little chance of a charger for me on a day trip leaves me cutting it close with the large pack. Trailer with 2 horses and gear is right at 7000lb mark. Rivian advises the range is likely cut in half when towing. Trying to replace my Yukon that already gets funny looks when pulling up to the barn. Cannot imagine the looks I am going to get with the R1T, but looking forward to it here in Texas.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I was seriously looking at the R1S, but the reduced towing range is pushing my needs, and no Max pack option yet has me nervous. Decided on the R1T for the range and extra towing capacity. Taking a fully loaded horse trailer 75 miles each way with little chance of a charger for me on a day trip leaves me cutting it close with the large pack. Trailer with 2 horses and gear is right at 7000lb mark. Rivian advises the range is likely cut in half when towing. Trying to replace my Yukon that already gets funny looks when pulling up to the barn. Cannot imagine the looks I am going to get with the R1T, but looking forward to it here in Texas.
Welcome to the forum!
Have you looked into plans for future EV charging stations along or within proximity to the routes you plan to use? I believe some companies provide that info, Electrify America being one of them. We might even have some luck seeing it on the Rivian App that'll show compatible chargers on others charging networks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting that the primary driver for this group's decision seems to be wait time for the max pack. Is nobody else deterred by the additional $10K? That's what made my decision easy to go with the large pack.
Did you mean “go or “not go”? Yes, 10k is more than I would like it to be but seems like a necessity given the limits of climate, range/towing needs, and impact on resale that many folks may be concerned about. That said, if Rivian asked a penny more, I think many of us would reconsider this vehicle at all. The cost is certainly at its upper limits if you ask me, and that is why I will limit my package options to the Explorer edition to offset the battery expense.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Have you looked into plans for future EV charging stations along or within proximity to the routes you plan to use? I believe some companies provide that info, Electrify American being one of them. We might even have some luck seeing it on the Rivian App that'll show compatible chargers on others charging networks.
Unfortunately, there is nothing along the way or even out of the way. Maybe in a year when this one ships, we will have more.

·
Registered
468 Posts
You'll definitely be breaking some necks when you pull up in the R1T haha. What made you decide to make the switch to an EV?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I think it shows how eager everyone is to drive their R1S and R1T for as long as they can and use them the way Rivian wants as an "adventure" brand.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts