Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Are you waiting on the extended range battery?

• Yes

Votes: 53 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 10.6%
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You'll definitely be breaking some necks when you pull up in the R1T haha. What made you decide to make the switch to an EV?
Made the move to it early on, but range was a killer. Having a hybrid just did not seem to solve the issues, even with a plug in. I live in Houston, so it is still a bit of a drive everywhere. Near my office was only 1 plug, it was a fight with the other 2 people everyday for the 1 charger. Now that range and options have improved, I am back in fully. Picked up my wife's Tesla Model Y earlier this year. Pumped for a truck option.

·
Registered
256 Posts
While of limited consolation to many, I live in the Chicago area and charging stations are popping up at a good clip. I have half a dozen level 2 chargers within a mile of my house and 2 level 3's. Just passed a nearby shopping mall a few days ago and they were installing level 3's in addition to the level 2's that they've had for several years. I realize that not everyone lives in a major metropolitan area, but EV charging deployment will be growing at a very good clip going forward.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Unfortunately, there is nothing along the way or even out of the way. Maybe in a year when this one ships, we will have more.
You might have some luck recommending charger locations to the companies building them out the most so far.
If you reach out to any of them, keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rivians largest battery pack, the 180 kWh option with 400+ miles of EPA-estimated range, will be available January 2022. About 7 months after launch, when Rivian originally said the max pack would be delivered along with other battery variants available at the same time. Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?
We a

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am waiting to see if the Max Pack becomes available for the S by the end of this year. I live in the Rockies and use my SUV for family travel when my wife's Tesla S is too small. The added mileage is very important to me. If the Max Pack does not become available this year for delivery not later than 2022, I will withdraw my reservation and replace my SUV with a new Denali.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I am waiting to see if the Max Pack becomes available for the S by the end of this year. I live in the Rockies and use my SUV for family travel when my wife's Tesla S is too small. The added mileage is very important to me. If the Max Pack does not become available this year for delivery not later than 2022, I will withdraw my reservation and replace my SUV with a new Denali.
According to Rivian, they won’t even announce R1S max Pack availability until sometime 2022. So I think finding out in 2021 or getting one in 2022 is highly unlikely.

Reactions: Bruin06

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great to see these results and the big divide.

So far...

20 voted yes
30 voted no
6 voted maybe

Keep them coming!
I will be waiting for the max pack. My 6 yo Tesla Model S started with 272 mi range - now down to 237 mi. I have a 140 mile /2hr drive to my vacation home in the mountains which chews up the battery range so that the 237 mi range on the Tesla will not get me there, need to stop to charge. The 300 mile battery pack on the R1S will eventually put me in the same position of needing to stop to charge. Definitely waiting for the Max pack.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
46 Posts
Still on fence. 48k miles on my 2017 BoltEV with confirmed good battery, no appreciable loss of range. Once EPA ratings known for the 21 inch road tires, will be an easier decision if 310-320. If I were to change to the Max Pack, would lose my LE preorder, but if LE isn't going to be delivered until middle of 2022, might not matter much. Still have the Large Pack selected, and will have to make my final decision after I hear from my Guide. Surely we will have EPA numbers prior to delivery #1 sometime next month.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Since the early '90s have owned a couple of Suburbans, Range Rover HSE, Hummer H2, and for the last 10 years, a Lincoln Navigator L. Also had some Saab Wagons for daughters in college and know once you put something on that roof, it's like a sail and surely towing, you will be amazed at the reduction in mileage, easily up to 25%, so always have gone for the longest wheelbase (better ride and less roll-over risk). and space inside the vehicle. Does anyone know if the seven-seat models impair the larger 400-mile battery with the SUV? My Lincoln L with over 100K miles over 11 years has been trouble-free and the most comfortable truck ever, and has plenty of life left in it for a good wait, but with the Rivian Frunk and at size of the Range Rover HSE (the worst I have ever owned). That truck probably put off retiremennt a year or two. The Rivian SUV looks great Wouldn't be surprised to see gas go to $5.00 a gallon and the tax incentives are great. Thanks for any replies or knowledge, would sure like to go 400 miles at a time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be waiting for the max pack. My 6 yo Tesla Model S started with 272 mi range - now down to 237 mi. I have a 140 mile /2hr drive to my vacation home in the mountains which chews up the battery range so that the 237 mi range on the Tesla will not get me there, need to stop to charge. The 300 mile battery pack on the R1S will eventually put me in the same position of needing to stop to charge. Definitely waiting for the Max pack.
Waiting for the max pack...if it ever gets here.

I don't agree with some manufacturers that claim consumers don't need/want longer range. True, most days we won't be driving 300 miles in one sitting, but through out the course of a year there will be a number of times I will have to drive longer distance or round trip where there are not a lot of chargers. Then of course there is towing.

Max pack it is.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Since the early '90s have owned a couple of Suburbans, Range Rover HSE, Hummer H2, and for the last 10 years, a Lincoln Navigator L. Also had some Saab Wagons for daughters in college and know once you put something on that roof, it's like a sail and surely towing, you will be amazed at the reduction in mileage, easily up to 25%, so always have gone for the longest wheelbase (better ride and less roll-over risk). and space inside the vehicle. Does anyone know if the seven-seat models impair the larger 400-mile battery with the SUV? My Lincoln L with over 100K miles over 11 years has been trouble-free and the most comfortable truck ever, and has plenty of life left in it for a good wait, but with the Rivian Frunk and at size of the Range Rover HSE (the worst I have ever owned). That truck probably put off retiremennt a year or two. The Rivian SUV looks great Wouldn't be surprised to see gas go to $5.00 a gallon and the tax incentives are great. Thanks for any replies or knowledge, would sure like to go 400 miles at a time.
Welcome to the forum @BlackH20!
Have you checked out the Hummer EV and would consider getting it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m not—I just can’t justify the price difference (especially with the tax credit for the Rivian) for a vehicle with 50 miles less range. I’m either getting a 400 mile Rivian or a 500 mile Cybertruck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m not—I just can’t justify the price difference (especially with the tax credit for the Rivian) for a vehicle with 50 miles less range. I’m either getting a 400 mile Rivian or a 500 mile Cybertruck.
That has been my plan....but as I come up on my 2 and 1/2 year anniversary of ordering a Rivian you start to wonder. When. When will either be available?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That has been my plan....but as I come up on my 2 and 1/2 year anniversary of ordering a Rivian you start to wonder. When. When will either be available?
I know. Thankfully I’m not in a hurry, so time isn’t a factor. We bought a 2014 Escalade last fall to get us through. The 16 MPG with 93 octane gas is a killer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One thing you have to like about the F150 is you can reverse the charge and power an average-size house for two days. Would love that option, but need the SUV, so probably will settle on the Rivian, plus for the money, I like 5 years warranty.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts