Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Are you waiting on the extended range battery?

• Yes

Votes: 53 46.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 12 10.6%
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just puzzled by the dichotomy of purchasing a hugely inefficient gas vehicle while waiting for an EV. Kind of like going to an all-you-can-eat barbeque the week before you commit to being vegan.
We need a large vehicle for our family of 5 with car seats, strollers, luggage, and often other family members. Sadly there aren’t any EVs that meet that need presently. Plus you can buy a lifetime of gas when you pay $23K for a vehicle that would be $100K new. That being said, I can’t wait for the Escalade ESV EV with Super Cruise.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just puzzled by the dichotomy of purchasing a hugely inefficient gas vehicle while waiting for an EV. Kind of like going to an all-you-can-eat barbeque the week before you commit to being vegan.
Not sure I agree with this. Assuming that there is a need for larger vehicle, what choice is there right now but an ICE SUV?

I'm in a somewhat similar situation to @Dublin ‘Eer while waiting for a SU-EV. My 14 year old XC-90 would certainly have made it to 2022, when I originally thought the R1S Max would be available to take over SUV duties (towing my small camper and handling trips to big snow country.)

Given the Rivian delays, compounded by the many supply chain issues affecting all tiers, the delivery date is now almost certainly going to be much later than that. I'm guessing that I won't see my Rivian until early 2024, and I don't have much choice but to opt for an interim solution. There are no EV alternatives, so it has to be an ICE SUV; an inefficient, gas-guzzling Telluride will probably be in my driveway late next month. While I also hope that I will have a well-cared for, low mileage Kia SUV to offer for sale by the summer of 2024, I will be in good shape if Rivian history repeats itself.

I actually think that the extended wait will have some benefits, the chance for greater build-out of the charging network being the primary one (very much needed by those towing anything with an EV). I also think that by 2023, there will be some EV-SUVs alternatives to the R1S out there. One could be an EV version of the Genesis GV-80. Genesis seems set to offer the smaller GV-70 as an EV next year. With Hyundai as a company aggressively moving to electric vehicles, there's hope for the larger GV-80 soon after. Hyundai also is no slouch on the EV engineering end; they already have an advanced battery cooling system in production that allows much faster charging. An electric GV-80 with 400 miles of range would be an outstanding alternative to the R1S - just sayin' Rivian . . .

The pressure is on Rivian to now deliver a quality product and as importantly, to ramp up smoothly to full-rate production for all models no later than early 2024. Genesis/Hyundai, GM, VW are going to be alternatives if Rivian falters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As fast as battery technology will be changing, it could be just a few years before ionic materials as being developed by QuantumScape or something of the sort is capable of the 700 mile range (speculation).
We are in the horseless carriage era of EV vehicles... charging infrastructure not yet in line, is the same as transitioning from horse and buggy to the horseless carriage and the need for gas stations.... Why would someone invest in a gas station with only 10 cars in the city?
That being said, it could be a whole new ball game in a few short years and the possibility of upgrading to better technology in the future, With Rivian's removable battery pack, there could be greater possibilities... I'll wait
I'll stay with the 300 mile range because I really don't enjoy 8 days of driving to Sedona and back for vacation.... I'll fly, rent a vehicle, enjoy the stay, come home in 10 hours flying up and back.
I live in a florida city, I'm getting the Rivian for it's performance appeal more than it's off road appeal... We have hundreds of jacked up 4wd trucks running around our flat little city with great roads... I'm sure their biggest use for all that truck is possibly going over a 8" curb or 6" of water after a rain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As fast as battery technology will be changing, it could be just a few years before ionic materials as being developed by QuantumScape or something of the sort is capable of the 700 mile range (speculation).
We are in the horseless carriage era of EV vehicles... charging infrastructure not yet in line, is the same as transitioning from horse and buggy to the horseless carriage and the need for gas stations.... Why would someone invest in a gas station with only 10 cars in the city?
That being said, it could be a whole new ball game in a few short years and the possibility of upgrading to better technology in the future, With Rivian's removable battery pack, there could be greater possibilities... I'll wait
I'll stay with the 300 mile range because I really don't enjoy 8 days of driving to Sedona and back for vacation.... I'll fly, rent a vehicle, enjoy the stay, come home in 10 hours flying up and back.
I live in a florida city, I'm getting the Rivian for it's performance appeal more than it's off road appeal... We have hundreds of jacked up 4wd trucks running around our flat little city with great roads... I'm sure their biggest use for all that truck is possibly going over a 8" curb or 6" of water after a rain.
I would love to think there will be battery technology breakthroughs any day now, but if the development of the 4680 batteries Tesla is working on shows us anything, that is that incremental gains are going to take time. Tesla is still working on the logistics/manufacturing of the 4680s despite hoping that they would have them deployed by now.

And QuantumScape HOPES in many years to have a working prototype. But not 2022 or 2023 though.

So, let's root for all those working on better batteries, but ICE engines have been around for over 120 years and the efficiency gains of ICE engines took a long time and now seem to be maxed out.

I await the 400 range Rivian...and hope it is not delayed past next spring.

A lot of car companies around the world are working on efficiency so we will see what 2030 brings us.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The current "best guesses" about manufacturing at commercial scale is 2024-2025. Lots of companies have built solid state in a lab setting or at tiny scale (or with exceptionally intolerant charging conditions), but no one is close to commercial viability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The current "best guesses" about manufacturing at commercial scale is 2024-2025. Lots of companies have built solid state in a lab setting or at tiny scale (or with exceptionally intolerant charging conditions), but no one is close to commercial viability.
2024-2025 IMO would be pretty good. I could see it taking until more like 2030.

Tesla produced it's first electric vehicle in 2008. It is now 2021 and they produced only 300,000 EVs in the US in 2020.
Even if you go with the year Tesla came out with the Model S (2012), it still has taken quite awhile just to ramp up to this level.

NextGen batteries, if they are even successful, are probably years away from being in cars/trucks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
2024-2025 IMO would be pretty good. I could see it taking until more like 2030.

Tesla produced it's first electric vehicle in 2008. It is now 2021 and they produced only 300,000 EVs in the US in 2020.
Even if you go with the year Tesla came out with the Model S (2012), it still has taken quite awhile just to ramp up to this level.

NextGen batteries, if they are even successful, are probably years away from being in cars/trucks.
Could be. As I pointed out, since nobody is actually on the cusp of manufacture it's all guesswork.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rivians largest battery pack, the 180 kWh option with 400+ miles of EPA-estimated range, will be available January 2022. About 7 months after launch, when Rivian originally said the max pack would be delivered along with other battery variants available at the same time. Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?
Well the Max Pack will cost you another $10K factor that in your decision, and if enough trucks and SUV's phase out the Federal Government Rebate and if you state has one also which could be 10-14K Federal, 4K in my state, Colorado, I may be looking at at $24-$28K increase for the wait? Nah, I'll take the 300, which tested out at 317 with the government last week.
Now is it really worth it with $10-20-near $30K difference? Little tougher call when you add the. dollar cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Knowing this, how many of you are still waiting on the max pack?
$10k for a feature that I would utilize on less than 1% of my travels does not seem worth it.

Also if I can get 10 miles per minute at a level 3 charger, I have added 10 minutes to a 400 mile trip. Now the issue will be finding a level 3 charger on my route.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts