Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Poll - Do you believe the Cybertruck will arrive in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.4%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Is there a "hell-no" option? LOL

I guess it depends on what qualifies as "arriving". They "MIGHT" be able to get a couple into Tesla employee hands before the end of next year, just to say they did it, as they did with several other cars. But actual availability and delivery of orders to the common folks and a volume of more than a couple of trucks per week, will be mid-2024.

· Registered
R1T
148 Posts
I would guess production won’t start in earnest for a year, but a few will trickle out for PR purposes before then to great fanfare. Demand will be high because, as they say, Elon Musk could build a Cybertruck in Times Square and no one would question the build quality.

· Registered
71 Posts
Is there a "hell-no" option? LOL

I guess it depends on what qualifies as "arriving". They "MIGHT" be able to get a couple into Tesla employee hands before the end of next year, just to say they did it, as they did with several other cars. But actual availability and delivery of orders to the common folks and a volume of more than a couple of trucks per week, will be mid-2024.
I think you've been waiting around Rivian production ramp up too long, like me.

Absolutely will start deliveries in the second half of 2023, though not full production yet.

· Registered
17 Posts
this is going to be fun to watch.
A crazy ugly truck sold to reservation holders as a sub-$40,000

this thing is going to roll off the production line and you will feel the wave of cancellations happen.
this is going to be $100,000+ trash can on wheels

· Registered
71 Posts
this is going to be fun to watch.
A crazy ugly truck sold to reservation holders as a sub-$40,000

this thing is going to roll off the production line and you will feel the wave of cancellations happen.
this is going to be $100,000+ trash can on wheels
Well, the reservations details released by Tesla shows that around 45% are tri-motor (before the change to quad) at $70K, and 48% are dual motor at $50K, or only about 8% the basic model at $40K.

Clearly things have changed and the top variant probably is over $100K and dual-motor at $80K or so. Will that cause wave of cancellation? Maybe but even if they lost 50% of the reservations, its still north of 600k~700K trucks.

The Cybertruck is still the most anticipated EV according to most trade publications. Its just not catering to Rivian demographic customers.

· Registered
17 Posts
Well, the reservations details released by Tesla shows that around 45% are tri-motor (before the change to quad) at $70K, and 48% are dual motor at $50K, or only about 8% the basic model at $40K.

Clearly things have changed and the top variant probably is over $100K and dual-motor at $80K or so. Will that cause wave of cancellation? Maybe but even if they lost 50% of the reservations, its still north of 600k~700K trucks.

The Cybertruck is still the most anticipated EV according to most trade publications. Its just not catering to Rivian demographic customers.
Maybe- time will tell if all the attention and reservations actually pan out.
Almost all the articles for "most anticipated EV" rely on the authors bias or Google search results (for overall numbers). Both of these are problematic.
Currently the most anticipated EV according to searches is the roadster. Second is the Cybertruck. Third is the Apple car.... They won't even confirm they are making a car and people search for it almost as much as the cybertruck.
If you try and translate that into sales, you can get misled.
Currently the model Y gets 73 searches per car sold (per year), the Tycan gets 2,251 searches per sale.
Some cars get high numbers on searches, and they don't translate to sales (especially when the price shoots up).

· Registered
403 Posts
I might revise my opinion. With as much as Tesla's stock has plummeted, it seems that investors have finally woken up to realize this company is not worth more than Ford, GM and Chrysler combined!!!

Tesla has been having their way for the past couple of years, jacking up pricing and doing what they want. But, times have changed. Demand has declined. Company value has plummeted. With less demand for their existing vehicles, they may speed up getting to production on the Cybertruck. As odd as it looks, it appears there's going to be a lot of people that want it. They say they have over 1,000,000 orders. 25% will probably convert to actual orders, which would still improve the books quite a bit and be enough backlog to cover at least 3 years. So, it's possible they might ramp up on it and get it to market next year (2023).

· Registered
52 Posts
They currently installing the assembly line to start production. (True story) I’d say 9 months to do that then I’d expect deliveries in mid to late 4th Quarter, Nov or Dec, allowing 1 month for kinks! I expect the most expensive version to be released first. Based on what everyone has been doing lately.

I Don’t know where someone got the pricing and order figures from ? Tesla removed pricing from their web site long ago and they never talk about the split in orders. I can imagine speculation from someone. Guess it’s the same speculation that said there’s 1mill CT orders then I heard there’a now 3mill orders! Maybe an attempt to rally the share price !

I agree, the Tesla valuation was ridiculous. They had not even produced 1mill vehicles when they were given the “over priced” valuation. people now saying it’s Tesla haters driving it down. I like Tesla but it’s not that, it was way over priced for their “Worth”. They make nice cars and I believe they will keep growing, but there’s a lot of competition coming in the next 3 years.

overpriced cars: If you do research on Tesla values and how they have gone up, it’s insane, blame it all you like on supply issues but that’s not entirely the truth. The more the prices went up the more “some” still went out and bought their vehicles. So they just kept pushing up the prices. Model X has gone up $30k in a year and a half ! Next year things will start to change, it’s already happening. Model S owners are trying to sell their 2014/2015 P85s for $40-$60k when there’s a lot for sale online at low to mid 30s. Wait until BYD start selling here. Sure their tech and charging are not great but interiors are more attractive and they decent looking vehicle and will be much lower price.

7% of vehicles on the roads are EVs the other 93% still have to buy and they not going to over pay for a car if there’s alternative options.

· Registered
26 Posts
Yes, Tesla engineering - when they want to deliver something - is actually really good. There's way too much going on in the EV truck market for them to mess up now. They've demonstrated a test casting for the rear. It was only a number of months between when Tesla was able to get a full MY casting to production. They also get the benefit of reusing a lot of the components and they stated previously that the CT needed the 4680 cell to be in production, which they're shipping in MY out of Texas. So yeah, I predict they'll get it done in the second half.

Elon can still go pound sand somewhere but Tesla engineering is not to be scoffed at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts