Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Nope

Votes: 17 39.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to see how many off-roaders we have on the forum. Are you someone that likes to hit the trails every weekend? every now and then? or do you prefer to keep your vehicles on asphalt only?

For the regular and occasional off-roaders, where do you like to go the most?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
603 Posts
I said “all the time”. I spend a lot of time on maintained dirt roads and also two track Forest Service roads, etc. I don’t spend any time “off-roading” just for the sake of off-roading. All of my time off the pavement is commuting to my remote properties, hunting or just exploring our public lands.

Reactions: ginztoy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Occasional off-roader here.

ICE Rig: Hummer H3 (overland set up w/ lockers/winch/sliders)

We have a few local OHV parks within day drives and have attended numerous event days with others to learn more on how to safely (some cases not safely) hit the trails.Bridgeport OHV Park & Barnwell for me in North Central Texas.

A lot of those event days gave us more confidence and ability to hit the back country in Colorado for hiking and camping

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don’t these days in my Forester but I used to in my Xterra. As I have said other places, I am really hoping to make my R1S the version of my X I always wanted.
Don't discount that Subie. We've taken my wife's Outback through some trails in Colorado with really good terrain and had a blast! Some good AT tires and a good spotter made all the difference.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Don't discount that Subie. We've taken my wife's Outback through some trails in Colorado with really good terrain and had a blast! Some good AT tires and a good spotter made all the difference.
What year? The ones with conventional automatics were fine. I wouldn’t dare bring a CVT model anywhere serious. They may as well be made of glass, by comparison.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's Michigan! 50% of the time we go off-roading even in vehicles never designed to leave the pavement. That is because 50% of our roads are dirt or crumbling apart. So even a trip to the grocery store requires winches and tow straps!

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
Funny, I used to go off-roading all the time when I had an Xterra (and was single). Now, I do some very light duty "off-roading" with my wife's Outback but it's mostly just to take my son to some fire roads through Angeles National Forest. Plan on doing some more adventuring when my son is older.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm curious to see how many off-roaders we have on the forum. Are you someone that likes to hit the trails every weekend? every now and then? or do you prefer to keep your vehicles on asphalt only?

I do all I can to stay on our roadways. We do not have much asphalt or hard roads. Those we have, have no lines. Hard enough staying on road during the Winter. The townships are only so good at plowing and I help plow the private roads. I go off road only when necessary and have a tractor and am getting a track loader for most of that. Why anyone would purposefully take their truck into danger is beyond me. Anyway, no way my future Rivian would make it off road in Winter as snow banks are shoulder high. heck this does not even come with a plow. And in the Spring mud is too deep for a truck, thus my track loader. Rivian will be used for getting supplies and ski trips to VT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Off road, not much. Off pavement, often. Years ago I off roaded a lot for my avocation (I was a volunteer firefighter). I went places in my VW dune buggy that other firefighters couldn't go with their jeeps. My wife and I like to explore the back country in Idaho, it will be nice having a vehicle I can rely on to get us home.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I used to offroad back when I had my last truck and can't wait to get the Rivian so I can put it though its paces.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I consider dirt roads and forest roads off-roading
For example Schnebly Hill is a "road" but it is on Jeeps list for Badges
Was going to be one of my first Rivian adventures
But due to the delay now I will have to find something similar near Denver
Answer to question - 3 times a month I guess
But when I get R1T might be 3 times a week
Plan on having fun with it!

Plan on getting a Generator also so I can go even more remote

But we shall see
Recently spoke to someone with a MachE at a national park and he said he was very surprised at how many charges there are
So we will see

·
Registered
15 Posts
When back-country camping. I don't go out rock crawling, but I do drive unpaved roads with high centers and lots of exposed rocks.

There are unpaved roads in Death Valley NP where high ground clearance, all-wheel drive, and a good skid plate are to be desired. An EV, without the oil pan of an ICE SUV, would certainly help my stress levels. In Capitol Reef NM, there's the ford of the Fremont River to get to the South Desert area. It would be nice to do it with an R1S, with it's impressive wading depth. Look ma, no snorkel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.