Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Do you like what Rivian has planned for its charging network?

• Yes

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.6%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rivian said it will have 3,500+ DC fast chargers at 600+ sites by end of 2023 but didn't say exactly when the first of them will be available. Slower (11.5 kW charging speed) Waypoint chargers are also being built and 42 of them (10,000+ expected by 2023) have already been announced. It seems like many of us will depend on these slower chargers early on.

For many (myself included), this lack of faster charging and no clear timeline on when and where we can expect them can be a major downside. Especially in locations where you'd expect faster charging (we covered this not long ago).

Considering this and other thing necessary for a Tesla-like charging network (its a big reason why people buy Teslas over other EVs), are you happy with what Rivian has planned so far?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Disappointed on one specific choice that directly impacts me, but overall way better than I expected with major interstate coverage. I was impressed.

·
Registered
GMC Sierra, Bolt, Sky, Mach E
230 Posts
I am impressed with the plan, but it seems very optimistic to think they can do all of that in 3 years. I have seen and read about all the issues Electrify America has had in getting sites selected and lease agreements, permits approved and utility connections done. It is really slow in states like California where they want silly economic impact studies and environmental impact studies that cause permits to take 5 times longer than in any other states. Glad I do not live in that state.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The coverage and number of stations greatly exceeds my expectations. If Rivian can pull it off on their stated timeline then that is amazing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nobody other than Tesla has their own charging network, and Rivian has yet to sell a single vehicle except to Amazon. It's an expensive truck, which means they won't likely sell in mass volumes. We have full access to Electrify America and other CCS networks, which are growing fast.

I see the RAN as a bonus, and it's just one area (along w/ concierges, warranty, etc.) where it shows they're working hard to exceed consumer expectations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts