Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Even though RJ made that pricing mistake right, do you think Rivian is viable on the long run?

• Yes, very likely

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • Yes but not really sure

Votes: 31 47.7%
  • No, cars are too expensive for the business model to survive

Votes: 7 10.8%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Crowd sourcing the answer to whether you think Rivian will survive on the long run. This will affect my decision to reinstate my canceled order. THANK YOU!

Quote from RJ:
"We are focused on building a brand and products that will continue to scale to different vehicle sizes, use cases, price points and markets – this growth will only be possible with your support and continued feedback."

·
Registered
13 Posts
With respect to a full-size EV SUV R1S, they are the only game in town right now. And it looks like they will be first with a full size pure EV SUV. Even hummer EV SUV won't be available right away.

I'm still pulling for them to make it.
I agree, after the price change I went back to my search for a vehicle that would meet my needs in the way the R1S did and there was nothing even close in the near term 2023-2024 that compared. NADA! I was going to re-evaluate my config to meet my needs and budget, albeit an increased budget, and wait to see once the dust settled if Rivian had a future. I still have concerns about repairs, maintenance and other costs down range.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MSRP and market value aren't the same thing. It's clear that the market sharply rejected Rivian's increased pricing.
I think the jury is still out on that one. What we saw is backlash from loyal preorder holders due to the perception of a broken promise, not necessarily because the new price does not represent a good value. I guess we'll find out how the new reservation rate gets affected during the Q1 earnings call (not the one coming up in March, but 3 months after).

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
I feel Rivian is viable on the long run but more for its commercial van business; still on the fence about their passenger vehicles.

·
Registered
130 Posts
MSRP and market value aren't the same thing. It's clear that the market sharply rejected Rivian's increased pricing.
The market sharply rejected Rivian’s communication strategy, not necessarily pricing itself.

My R1T ultimately was priced the same as my Model X, my 3rd Tesla. It wasn’t a pure price problem.

The quick timing of the email mattered. If RJ waited another quarter to send out the same email, many more of us would be skeptical and elect not to return.

It’s more how they went about the price increase not just the price increase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts