• 100+ miles

Votes: 5 8.5%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Car

Fortunately, the Rivian R1T and R1S both have enough range for our daily commutes and would only be an issue on long trips, if that.

But that got me thinking what the average Rivian owner commute is like. I want to see how far everyone will be pushing these EVs.

Include as many relevant details as you wish about your commute and the Rivian model you ordered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really love the style and personally fit the demo they're marketing towards but I potentially drive up to 230 miles per day(not every day)... the current EV options at about 300 miles per charge make me a little nervous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My commute is zero since I began working from home. Before that it was about 6 miles in each direction. When the weather allows, I’ll bike in.

The R1T for me will be a weekender/rec vehicle, and a kid-taxi/grocery-getter. Weekend trips are generally ~100 miles in one direction, and I plan to have a Level II charger at the destination as well.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Using an R1T as my commuter vehicle I would be driving just over 47 miles to work. I work between 1 and 4 day shifts, so I don’t have to drive to work 5 times weekly.
Otherwise, from April through November we’d be using an R1T as our tow vehicle for a travel trailer. Sometimes we camp as close as 25 minutes from home. Other times it’s a few hours away. Every September we complete a 2500 mile road trip.
So, the ‘Max Pack’ range is critical to our purchasing decision.
I’m keeping a watchful eye for TFL’s ‘World’s Toughest Towing Test’ and towing range test videos supposedly getting posted this week. While they obviously don’t have an R1T with a Max Pack battery, it will give me more data on the range loss when operating the R1T under load.

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
193 Posts
My commute is 60 miles round trip, but since starting to work from home I only make that trip about once a week at most (sometimes only once a month). I also have level 2 charging available at work, which is how I have been able to use my Volt gas free for several years now.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure (ordered 10/27/21), Red Canyon. Genesis GV 60 Mauna Red (bought 9/10/22)
110 Posts
My daily mileage is low enough that overnight charging @ 110 VAC will be sufficient. I ordered the wall charger because I figure it would be good for re-sale down the line.

I am also close to retirement. Then my main driving will be to/from the lake. About 80 miles round trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i live in the city ( downtown ) of chicago but work in the western burbs - 60-100 miles per day - my R1S LE should be fine - i do periodically have to drive 250 miles a day which will necessitate some strategic energy use ( or i'll take the X5 e45 if i am not confident ).

·
Registered
2 Posts
i live in the city ( downtown ) of chicago but work in the western burbs - 60-100 miles per day - my R1S LE should be fine - i do periodically have to drive 250 miles a day which will necessitate some strategic energy use
Very curious how your long commute days end up going in the winter. I live in Wisconsin.
I’m hoping the road tires and conserve mode are enough to do the trick and not need to stop to charge on my commute home.
I hear winter can shave off 15% of your charge even if you precondition before leaving. I have two days a week where my full commute is 230 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very curious how your long commute days end up going in the winter. I live in Wisconsin.
I’m hoping the road tires and conserve mode are enough to do the trick and not need to stop to charge on my commute home.
I hear winter can shave off 15% of your charge even if you precondition before leaving. I have two days a week where my full commute is 230 miles.
It can be worse than 15% if it’s particularly cold. It was -10F here in Michigan this morning, and at those temps, the batteries will need heating the entire time you’re parked at work, too. My ~30 miles in my PHEV translates to about 18 miles on a day like today (not like-for-like comparison, but a metric nonetheless).

·
Registered
481 Posts
100 miles RT three days a week. 200 miles RT for weekend recreation in Summer. 120 miles RT weekend in Winter. Sometimes a couple times a week for each. 25,000 miles a year. Tesla has 90,000 on it. Will have 125k by '24 when R1S will show up. Hope to camp in the R1S which will save on some of the Summer runs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Geesh, I guess I will be putting some heavy miles on the R1T then! My daily round trip commute is 96 miles. That is M-F. Assuming I have to go to any supplier in the work week, I can easily put 2,000 - 3,000 miles a month on a vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts