Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is not having Apple Car Play / Android Auto a deal breaker for you?

• Yes

Votes: 16 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 84 84.0%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of discussions about Rivian only offering Alexa integration rather than including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I think the consensus is that we'd all prefer that Rivian offered it, but I want to know if this is actually a deal breaker for anyone. Vote below if the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will stop you from getting a R1S or R1T.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I don't know yet. I have to see what Rivian gives us. If it supports Apple Music and text messaging as a first-class citizen, then maybe I'll be okay.

If they try to force me into Spotify (ugh) or try to say bluetooth streaming with no first-class app then I'm not buying it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the reason people are so hung up on NEEDING Apple Music or Android Auto is only because native systems from car manufacturers are historically awful, with terrible design and user experience. If Rivian develops a user experience that is well designed and works seamlessly with all of the ease that people are used to from navigating music and maps (and other apps) on their phone, there won't be an issue. It's a high bar, though.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
310 Posts
I’ll reiterate my comments from other posts that it’s as much about content as it is the apps themselves. We all have our preferred streaming services, and many of us have made significant investments in those either setting up favorites and playlists or actually purchasing content. That’s where it really stings when you’re forced to use some other service or app.

In addition, Waze is not just another mapping app. It crowdsources content on traffic, road hazards, cops, etc. This will be hard for Rivian to replicate until they have a significant market share and hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road, or they buy this data from some other company who is collecting it.

I’m not so tied to the apps themselves, but I do want whatever app is provided to be able to surface the content I’ve invested in. AA or CP is the easy answer to accomplishing all of this. Just seems a bit short-sighted on their part not to do it. It’s not a deal breaker for me though.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
112 Posts
The poll should have a third choice... IT DEPENDS. We haven't seen the Rivian OS interface to understand all of its features. If I can get a long list of music apps, navigation, traffic etc etc then maybe it doesn't matter. If I am stuck with Rivian and Alexa only it would a big negative.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You know, I don't use those things in my car so not having those particular apps is not a deal breaker for me🤠

·
Registered
125 Posts
The poll should have a third choice... IT DEPENDS. We haven't seen the Rivian OS interface to understand all of its features. If I can get a long list of music apps, navigation, traffic etc etc then maybe it doesn't matter. If I am stuck with Rivian and Alexa only it would a big negative.
This sounds like the answer is no for this poll. If it was yes then there is no depends. The other poll would be are you canceling because you do not like the UI/Options that they have provided.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Big disappointment, not a deal breaker. And I totally agree with @Wildabeest's explanation -- it's about having access to the content you've already invested in. I'm sure Rivian's system will be excellent as a standalone offering. But since my very first vehicle, I have almost exclusively listened to content from my phone's apps in my cars. First it was with a minijack cable, then bluetooth, then carplay. I don't want to switch to the services that Rivian successfully partners with. I want to listen to the content that I've chosen to invest in and carry around in my pocket 24/7.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
No, I'm buying the R1T because I want a capable electric pickup, the rest is secondary. Polestar did exactly this and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Now, its not an issue after Apple Car Play and Android Auto were added in an OTA update. I think there's a good chance that can happen here as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I
No, I'm buying the R1T because I want a capable electric pickup, the rest is secondary. Polestar did exactly this and it didn't seem to bother anyone. Now, its not an issue after Apple Car Play and Android Auto were added in an OTA update. I think there's a good chance that can happen here as well.
I second this. It seems Rivian has put much thought into everything in their vehicles i cant imagine getting something out of a 2010ish legacy automotive company. Besodes the main thing for me is the capable truck not how i put my tunes through it. If it has spotify like ive seen then i just may get a subscription and be done with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tesla doesn't support CarPlay, and it has thrived although the lack of it is a bummer there as well.

It's really not about whether Rivian can come up with a good UI, I just think it's nice to be able to have a common interface between your phone, iPad, and multiple vehicles.

I'd have pulled the trigger on a VW ID.4 if CarPlay was that important to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There has been a lot of discussions about Rivian only offering Alexa integration rather than including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I think the consensus is that we'd all prefer that Rivian offered it, but I want to know if this is actually a deal breaker for anyone. Vote below if the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will stop you from getting a R1S or R1T.
Looks like with all the "no" votes that there is not much of a consensus about what music system is necessary. I have nothing Apple, which is all overpriced, planned obsolence, and generally not something I have ever wanted to deal with. So, if Rivian builds us a vehicle which has some of the latest electronics we will find our own way to tweak the infotainment system to satisfy our druthers. But we are a little different, we like to see what is in the world around us as we motor from place to place. And since the vehicle is suppose to very quiet, we will really not need a lot of special music to cover up the sound of the vehicle operation. And that is enough about that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have nothing Apple, which is all overpriced, planned obsolence, and generally not something I have ever wanted to deal with.
It always amuses me to see people hate on apple. Planned obsolescence? Really? Apple is still providing OS updates for iPhone models SIX generations old. Someone (like my mother) who is still rocking an iPhone 6s Plus from 2015 still gets updates to the latest and greatest iOS version. And updates are released at the same time for old devices as they are for the newest device. Oh, and iPhones hold the highest resale value of any smartphone brand... But, sure, tell yourself that it's all planned obsolescence.

Compare that to an Android phone where you're LUCKY to get 3 years of updates -- and often don't even get that much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It always amuses me to see people hate on apple. Planned obsolescence? Really? Apple is still providing OS updates for iPhone models SIX generations old. Someone (like my mother) who is still rocking an iPhone 6s Plus from 2015 still gets updates to the latest and greatest iOS version. And updates are released at the same time for old devices as they are for the newest device. Oh, and iPhones hold the highest resale value of any smartphone brand... But, sure, tell yourself that it's all planned obsolescence.

Compare that to an Android phone where you're LUCKY to get 3 years of updates -- and often don't even get that much.
And you think they are priced just right, too? My phone is not a status symbol. It was old when I purchased it. It makes calls just fine. And you will think that is wrong also.

·
Registered
559 Posts
And you think they are priced just right, too? My phone is not a status symbol. It was old when I purchased it. It makes calls just fine. And you will think that is wrong also.
They're priced at what the market will bear. Same with Rivian. As prices have gone up, I've slowed down how often I replace my phone. I used to get a new one every year, and now I'm still using a 3 year old phone. In their defense, my phone still does everything I ask of it, and I'm never frustrated with it (not in a way that a new one would fix) -- something that couldn't be said about phones even 2 years old, 5 years ago. And high prices isn't an Apple-exclusive issue. Samsung is charging exorbitant prices for their "flagship" devices, as well.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
112 Posts
Folks this isn't a debate about Apple vs Android vs Flip phones but is a feature that is in a 20k civic, Hyundais, Kias, Audis, Porsches, hell even a Jaguar. Will it stop me from buying a Rivian not sure right now, but it is strange that an 80k brand new to the market, hi-tech vehicle doesn't have these functions, yes it is. The screen can do it, there is little to no licensing costs. It is a software issue that is all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here is another way to think about it. If you have a family with multiple vehicles, do you really want to fumble around an unfamiliar U/I, or just plug in your device and use your favorite features and apps instantly via Car Play or Android Auto? I rented a car yesterday on a business trip (new model 4 door Toyota thing, which had horrible driver visibility BTW, but I digress). I looked at the buttons and screens and all the possible options with horror, plugged in my phone, found CarPlay & was done... The only thing I used the Toyota U/I for was to CHOOSE MY SOURCE. The point was made earlier that car companies are not great at the things that Apple and Android do for a full-time living, day in and day out with Smartphone consumers. Just think of the U/I and OS battles between those two companies alone, and how many billions have already been spent creating the most intuitive and seamless ways for us to interact with digital content.

Rivian should focus on the best possible electric vehicles, AND allow customers to extend the use of their media, apps, and phones in the most elegant and powerful ways possible. Sure! They can have their own beautiful tiles & widgets on their wide screen display with great features, but give us CHOICE. I will reserve my comment, its likely not a true deal-breaker, but show me what is included in this native Rivian App. Maybe they will surprise and delight us with interesting partnerships w/companies like Waze that will operate inside the Rivian app tile or head-unit flawlessly, who knows. It would be nice to know the actual plan at this point. If you haven't experience how Apple Car Play and Android Auto actually work, its probably hard to understand why this stuff is so important to existing users who take their phone IN and OUT of their cars, and use their phones for business and pleasure. Like I said on another post, we aren't taking the Rivian screen out of the car to make calls, play music, or track our MTB rides... That is a big difference between having a smartphone interface in a car, and relying solely on a Rivian experience. Lets see what we get....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is another way to think about it. If you have a family with multiple vehicles, do you really want to fumble around an unfamiliar U/I, or just plug in your device and use your favorite features and apps instantly via Car Play or Android Auto? I rented a car yesterday on a business trip (new model 4 door Toyota thing, which had horrible driver visibility BTW, but I digress). I looked at the buttons and screens and all the possible options with horror, plugged in my phone, found CarPlay & was done... The only thing I used the Toyota U/I for was to CHOOSE MY SOURCE. The point was made earlier that car companies are not great at the things that Apple and Android do for a full-time living, day in and day out with Smartphone consumers. Just think of the U/I and OS battles between those two companies alone, and how many billions have already been spent creating the most intuitive and seamless ways for us to interact with digital content.

Rivian should focus on the best possible electric vehicles, AND allow customers to extend the use of their media, apps, and phones in the most elegant and powerful ways possible. Sure! They can have their own beautiful tiles & widgets on their wide screen display with great features, but give us CHOICE. I will reserve my comment, its likely not a true deal-breaker, but show me what is included in this native Rivian App. Maybe they will surprise and delight us with interesting partnerships w/companies like Waze that will operate inside the Rivian app tile or head-unit flawlessly, who knows. It would be nice to know the actual plan at this point. If you haven't experience how Apple Car Play and Android Auto actually work, its probably hard to understand why this stuff is so important to existing users who take their phone IN and OUT of their cars, and use their phones for business and pleasure. Like I said on another post, we aren't taking the Rivian screen out of the car to make calls, play music, or track our MTB rides... That is a big difference between having a smartphone interface in a car, and relying solely on a Rivian experience. Lets see what we get....
Great point. Maybe if they spent less time on this kind of stuff, they could actually deliver stuff that they promised us - like I don't know, maybe the tailgate! It's easy to update the infotainment through an OTA update in the future. Much harder to update the hardware features they defeatured.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ll reiterate my comments from other posts that it’s as much about content as it is the apps themselves. We all have our preferred streaming services, and many of us have made significant investments in those either setting up favorites and playlists or actually purchasing content. That’s where it really stings when you’re forced to use some other service or app.

In addition, Waze is not just another mapping app. It crowdsources content on traffic, road hazards, cops, etc. This will be hard for Rivian to replicate until they have a significant market share and hundreds of thousands of vehicles on the road, or they buy this data from some other company who is collecting it.

I’m not so tied to the apps themselves, but I do want whatever app is provided to be able to surface the content I’ve invested in. AA or CP is the easy answer to accomplishing all of this. Just seems a bit short-sighted on their part not to do it. It’s not a deal breaker for me though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to an adventure vehicle, my Rivian will be a commuter car for me as well (around 60 miles a day). I do consume a lot of media (music/audiobooks), but this is all simply streamed through a Bluetooth connection. Would not having Apple Play or Android Auto keep me from using a Bluetooth connection and simply using my phone's interface to listen to whatever I want to listen to? Discloser: I've never used Apple Play or Android Auto, so I don't even know the UX advantages of these interfaces.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts