Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is not having Apple Car Play / Android Auto a deal breaker for you?

• Yes

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 77.6%
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Might be just my take but based on this limited simple survey, seems like Rivian has their market research right on target around this particular subject.
I think the poll is poorly designed and that conclusion cannot be drawn.

There should be a third option that says "I wanted CarPlay, but I'm reserving final judgement until I can see the Rivian infotainment system".

If Rivian implements all the features people want (for example, I want Apple Music) then it's not a dealbreaker... But we are far away from any assurance that Rivian has actually done what no other manufacturer has ever managed to do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the poll is poorly designed and that conclusion cannot be drawn.

There should be a third option that says "I wanted CarPlay, but I'm reserving final judgement until I can see the Rivian infotainment system".

If Rivian implements all the features people want (for example, I want Apple Music) then it's not a dealbreaker... But we are far away from any assurance that Rivian has actually done what no other manufacturer has ever managed to do.
I beg to differ, as I stated based on this simple poll which is truly binary it exactly answers the question.

If the answer is wait and see then it is not a deal breaker. It is a deal breaker if you absolutely will not purchase the vehicle without it.

Just the fact that people have a wait and see what they deliver position indicates in a binary proposition it is not a deal breaker.

Based on this poll though, looks like everybody gets to move up 9 positions in wait queue.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
469 Posts
Based on this poll though, looks like everybody gets to move up 9 positions in wait queue.
Only if those people saying “deal breaker” are in positions 1-9 on the priority list...

Reactions: SANZCO2

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
155 Posts
Once Rivian shows
I beg to differ, as I stated based on this simple poll which is truly binary it exactly answers the question.

If the answer is wait and see then it is not a deal breaker. It is a deal breaker if you absolutely will not purchase the vehicle without it.

Just the fact that people have a wait and see what they deliver position indicates in a binary proposition it is not a deal breaker.

As of today, I can't get an R1S/T, and I can't test the UI of the current system so it isn't a deal breaker but I will wait to reserve judgement until more info is available. The poll is too binary and needs a third choice 'wait and see'. A few years ago BMW decided to charge for ACP/AA thinking 'people love it they will pay for it', WRONG people hated that BMW did this and the program quickly ended and they went back to giving it as part of the car.

I firmly believe this is a 100% software and can be resolve if Rivian wants to, focus on quality right now but don't shut the door on ACP/AA, deliver it OTA.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Once Rivian shows

As of today, I can't get an R1S/T, and I can't test the UI of the current system so it isn't a deal breaker but I will wait to reserve judgement until more info is available. The poll is too binary and needs a third choice 'wait and see'. A few years ago BMW decided to charge for ACP/AA thinking 'people love it they will pay for it', WRONG people hated that BMW did this and the program quickly ended and they went back to giving it as part of the car.

I firmly believe this is a 100% software and can be resolve if Rivian wants to, focus on quality right now but don't shut the door on ACP/AA, deliver it OTA.
I think that is the problem with your responses. The question is simple, will you buy if it does not have CarPlay or AA, if the answer isn't "absolutely not" then it is not a deal breaker. Anyone that says I am waiting to see what it has is not canceling because it does not have CarPlay or AA but because it does not have anything as good or better that suits their need.

Rivian as a company has done their research and feel that they are going to be able to meet the needs of the fence sitters.

Sometimes things are as black and white as they appear. We do not always have to live in the various shades of gray.

Whoever put this poll out has it spot on, it forces a binary decision to get a count. In my opinion any poll that does not force a specific answer is really useless. This does not ask what will you do if you do not like the system delivered, that is obvious, if they deliver something you are not willing to compromise on certainly you, as well as any other rational person would then pass. That was not what they are asking, they are specifically asking a single question, yes or no, to get a simple perspective of that specific question.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Rivian as a company has done their research and feel that they are going to be able to meet the needs of the fence sitters.
Maybe they will.

Maybe you’ll have to eat crow in a few months.

Whoever put this poll out has it spot on, it forces a binary decision to get a count. In my opinion any poll that does not force a specific answer is really useless. This does not ask what will you do if you do not like the system delivered, that is obvious, if they deliver something you are not willing to compromise on certainly you, as well as any other rational person would then pass. That was not what they are asking, they are specifically asking a single question, yes or no, to get a simple perspective of that specific question.
It’s a bad poll. Simple as that. I can’t say if it’s simply naivety or it was intentional, but the poll forces a specific conclusion.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe they will.

Maybe you’ll have to eat crow in a few months.

It’s a bad poll. Simple as that. I can’t say if it’s simply naivety or it was intentional, but the poll forces a specific conclusion.
Maybe I will, won't be the first and I'm certain won't be the last and I am certainly not to shy to ask for catchup to make it go down easier.

If they IPO then I will roll the dice and talk with my wallet.

As for the poll, I simply disagree, it gave me way more information then I need.

I hope everyone is able to get what they need and are happy with the delivered product.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
155 Posts
I think that is the problem with your responses. The question is simple, will you buy if it does not have CarPlay or AA, if the answer isn't "absolutely not" then it is not a deal breaker. Anyone that says I am waiting to see what it has is not canceling because it does not have CarPlay or AA but because it does not have anything as good or better that suits their need.

Sometimes things are as black and white as they appear. We do not always have to live in the various shades of gray.

Then the perspective will be skewed because we can't tell how many people defaulted to the NO answer because there was a 'Wait and see option'. We don't know enough to make an informed decision, so having a binary yes/no is just not helpful. If 3 people responded and all 3 said NO that doesn't mean 'Research shows people don't care' it shows a limited number of people answered a very limited question.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not to mention those that just don't answer the survey like me (AKA in survey methodology, "Prefer not to answer"). Not that any of this really matters. My biggest take-away is the majority of those that use AA/CP regularly in their current vehicles want it, and those that don't use it and/or have access to it and don't use it, are happy just using audio via BT, which isn't AA/CP, so doesn't really matter either.

I wonder how many preorder customers use AA/CP today?

I also wonder how many of those preorder customers that currently use AA/CP would want head-unit support for AA/CP in their new Rivian?

Wild guess... 99%

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I can run Waze within Rivian's system, I'm fine with that. If I can't, I'm not going to be a guinea pig for some 'Alexa Maps' experiment.

I'm dead at 50/50 between a Rivian and the new Bronco (not sure I can give up my manual transmission yet). I have reservations for both, and I was hoping to drive each before making a decision. But no AA/Waze would be the straw that broke the Rivian's back for me, and I'd be content knowing I'm driving the last mass-produced manual transmission 4x4 ever made, rather than the first electric truck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm dead at 50/50 between a Rivian and the new Bronco (not sure I can give up my manual transmission yet). I have reservations for both, and I was hoping to drive each before making a decision. But no AA/Waze would be the straw that broke the Rivian's back for me, and I'd be content knowing I'm driving the last mass-produced manual transmission 4x4 ever made, rather than the first electric truck.
I was in love with the Broncho unveiling... I just wish they had a legit PHEV option.

·
Registered
946 Posts
In addition to an adventure vehicle, my Rivian will be a commuter car for me as well (around 60 miles a day). I do consume a lot of media (music/audiobooks), but this is all simply streamed through a Bluetooth connection. Would not having Apple Play or Android Auto keep me from using a Bluetooth connection and simply using my phone's interface to listen to whatever I want to listen to? Discloser: I've never used Apple Play or Android Auto, so I don't even know the UX advantages of these interfaces.
No you won't have any issues using a Bluetooth connection without Apple CarPlay or Android Auto

·
Registered
6 Posts
I voted no, but have to say not having music streaming directly through the infotainment is a killer. I want a car that streams audio from the services (YouTube music) that I already pay for. My Tesla wasn’t flawless, but the connectivity was great. It was a pain having to pickup my phone to play my music and where I live tickets are handed out to those touching their phones, so not a deal killer, but hands free and seamless integration is a must.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is another way to think about it. If you have a family with multiple vehicles, do you really want to fumble around an unfamiliar U/I, or just plug in your device and use your favorite features and apps instantly via Car Play or Android Auto? I rented a car yesterday on a business trip (new model 4 door Toyota thing, which had horrible driver visibility BTW, but I digress). I looked at the buttons and screens and all the possible options with horror, plugged in my phone, found CarPlay & was done... The only thing I used the Toyota U/I for was to CHOOSE MY SOURCE. The point was made earlier that car companies are not great at the things that Apple and Android do for a full-time living, day in and day out with Smartphone consumers. Just think of the U/I and OS battles between those two companies alone, and how many billions have already been spent creating the most intuitive and seamless ways for us to interact with digital content.

Rivian should focus on the best possible electric vehicles, AND allow customers to extend the use of their media, apps, and phones in the most elegant and powerful ways possible. Sure! They can have their own beautiful tiles & widgets on their wide screen display with great features, but give us CHOICE. I will reserve my comment, its likely not a true deal-breaker, but show me what is included in this native Rivian App. Maybe they will surprise and delight us with interesting partnerships w/companies like Waze that will operate inside the Rivian app tile or head-unit flawlessly, who knows. It would be nice to know the actual plan at this point. If you haven't experience how Apple Car Play and Android Auto actually work, its probably hard to understand why this stuff is so important to existing users who take their phone IN and OUT of their cars, and use their phones for business and pleasure. Like I said on another post, we aren't taking the Rivian screen out of the car to make calls, play music, or track our MTB rides... That is a big difference between having a smartphone interface in a car, and relying solely on a Rivian experience. Lets see what we get....
And for those of us who get in and out so much...having wireless interoperability is important. CarPlay does this already.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never gotten around to android auto or carplay in my Kia Niro EV (it supports both)...navigation via voice command works well as does media and xm radio. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't miss it. Sure, the more choices, the better. One positive about the Amazon connection is that Amazon has a true HD streaming service with better than CD audio. Hopefully, there will be an option to tap into that. The sound system seems great, but can only be really great is the source material matches its potential.

Font Rectangle Electric blue Parallel Brand

·
Registered
5 Posts
There has been a lot of discussions about Rivian only offering Alexa integration rather than including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

I think the consensus is that we'd all prefer that Rivian offered it, but I want to know if this is actually a deal breaker for anyone. Vote below if the lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will stop you from getting a R1S or R1T.
I am heavily into Google, so if AA is not a choice, then yes, I will wait for the Ford F150 EV. I have ZERO interest in trying to replicate my functionality/account services on another platform. This includes Google Maps, YouTube for music, etc... We (wife) just picked up our MachE last month, and the integration is seamless with AA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is another way to think about it. If you have a family with multiple vehicles, do you really want to fumble around an unfamiliar U/I, or just plug in your device and use your favorite features and apps instantly via Car Play or Android Auto? I rented a car yesterday on a business trip (new model 4 door Toyota thing, which had horrible driver visibility BTW, but I digress). I looked at the buttons and screens and all the possible options with horror, plugged in my phone, found CarPlay & was done... The only thing I used the Toyota U/I for was to CHOOSE MY SOURCE. The point was made earlier that car companies are not great at the things that Apple and Android do for a full-time living, day in and day out with Smartphone consumers. Just think of the U/I and OS battles between those two companies alone, and how many billions have already been spent creating the most intuitive and seamless ways for us to interact with digital content.

Rivian should focus on the best possible electric vehicles, AND allow customers to extend the use of their media, apps, and phones in the most elegant and powerful ways possible. Sure! They can have their own beautiful tiles & widgets on their wide screen display with great features, but give us CHOICE. I will reserve my comment, its likely not a true deal-breaker, but show me what is included in this native Rivian App. Maybe they will surprise and delight us with interesting partnerships w/companies like Waze that will operate inside the Rivian app tile or head-unit flawlessly, who knows. It would be nice to know the actual plan at this point. If you haven't experience how Apple Car Play and Android Auto actually work, its probably hard to understand why this stuff is so important to existing users who take their phone IN and OUT of their cars, and use their phones for business and pleasure. Like I said on another post, we aren't taking the Rivian screen out of the car to make calls, play music, or track our MTB rides... That is a big difference between having a smartphone interface in a car, and relying solely on a Rivian experience. Lets see what we get....
Well stated. Slow adoption and pretentious clinging to proprietary interfaces in all manufacturers in recent years has been frustrating to watch, all the while knowing the inevitable conclusion. Take a cue from established manufacturers that were dragged kicking and screaming into Android Auto/Carplay compatibility, leaving their proprietary lock-ins as likely unused options. Smartphones, GPS manufacturers, etc were always ahead of the auto manufacturers in navigation... it was always a dumb idea for an auto company to try to take it on. If Rivian thinks they have something better, then provide it and let it win on it's own. Don't do this platform exclusion stuff. This decision wreaks of Amazon influence btw, which is doubly concerning.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts