Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is not having Apple Car Play / Android Auto a deal breaker for you?

• Yes

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 77.6%
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
....Don't do this platform exclusion stuff. This decision wreaks of Amazon influence btw, which is doubly concerning.
Not just Rivian, Elon is doing the same thing by stubbornly snubbing ACP/AA on all cars and now even removing the option for SXM on the M3 and MY. As someone who was used to using both AA and SXM as part of the UI from GM on my 2017 Bolt it's disappointing to see yet another manufacturer locking us in to their closed UI.

I would almost guarantee people from Rivian are monitoring this forum... c'mon guys, for $70K give us ACP/AA and SXM.. pretty please ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2011 Lincoln Navigator L I don't have Apple Car Play (as my other car does) but it reads me an incoming text, plays music via Bluetooth (no wired connection), calls 911 if airbags are deployed, loads my phone book, takes and makes calls with caller ID, via steering wheel controls. Now, this system is 10 years old and working with an Apple 12 phone. I don't think you need Apple Car Play for those features, at least I haven't for the last 10 years. I would think Rivian would match Ford 2011 electronics and phone matching ability now. Yes, I don't have Apps pull up, but texting (via my voice), taking and making calls, and streaming music without a wired connection is pretty much all one uses.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have a 2011 Lincoln Navigator L I don't have Apple Car Play (as my other car does) but it reads me an incoming text, plays music via Bluetooth (no wired connection), calls 911 if airbags are deployed, loads my phone book, takes and makes calls with caller ID, via steering wheel controls. Now, this system is 10 years old and working with an Apple 12 phone. I don't think you need Apple Car Play for those features, at least I haven't for the last 10 years. I would think Rivian would match Ford 2011 electronics and phone matching ability now. Yes, I don't have Apps pull up, but texting (via my voice), taking and making calls, and streaming music without a wired connection is pretty much all one uses.
FWIW, I have asked Rivian CS these questions, and unfortunately the answer is that no, Rivian does not offer any integration for messaging. The best I could get from them was “we’ll make a note that you want this feature“.

So if your assumption is that Rivian will cover you because Ford did 10+ years ago, then you may be disappointed.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This mind-numbing "battle to own the UI" has been hashed out repeatedly for years. The smart OEM's realized it was not a battle to be won... Consumers will not be taking their car infotainment screens and O/S's out of their cars anytime soon, and they will not carry those into their homes and offices or into a Starbucks. What they WILL DO is take their Smartphones everywhere, and bring them into their cars, and look to extend their app experiences ONTO other media (like an infotainment screen!).

(RIVIAN SHOULD FOCUS ON THE APP EXPERIENCE FROM A CONSUMERS SMARTPHONE IN AND OUT OF THE RIVIAN)

Good news is that there is a precedent to add this capability - BAD NEWS is that Rivian fell prey to this for launch, likely through their dealings with AMZN...
In the process they are NOT delighting any customers that have had the pleasure to use Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for the last 7 years...

My 2012 Silverado has an aftermarket JVC stereo in it - for the distinct purpose of having Apple CarPlay and leveraging things like Waze and all of my music seamlessly, for example. The need to replicate app, log-ins, and be forced into multiple U/I's by OEM's is based on 3 things, and 3 things only:

1. $$$
2. Pure hubris on the OEM's part
3. Data

But, just my .02!

·
Registered
150 Posts
^ that can't be right ^ they must have misunderstood the question. A 2022 $80K vehicle does not offer voice text reading or sending? That just can't be......
I‘m sure they will have all the latest and greatest technology. I’m mean tney have been working in this thing for a while now so why would they ship out vehicles with out the best in the market stuff. We’re taking cutting edge here. Right?

·
Registered
446 Posts
WRONG on that.

It is really hard to replicate BILLIONS OF DOLLARS worth of investments and effort that Android and Apple spent to establish their ecosystem (and to develop AA and AC to support such excellent voice & voice recognition handling software and interfaces).

Once you have used Siri or Alexa seamlessly & HANDS-FREE with your smartphone (via your infotainment system and head unit) you will be very hard pressed to find anything better in the world.

This is where hubris and "trying to be all things to all people" hurt the OEM's. They need to stick with their core competencies and allow for agnostic and value-oriented partnerships where it makes the most sense. This is a core tenant of Michael Porter's Five forces and being able to check yourself on the threat of substitution. No OEM is going to gong to be able to substitute their OEM interface for that of the device sitting in all of our pockets, on our desks or plugged into our cars. That is not going to happen. Period.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is where hubris and "trying to be all things to all people" hurt the OEM's. They need to stick with their core competencies and allow for agnostic and value-oriented partnerships where it makes the most sense.
Agree 1000% !

My 2017 Bolt had no nav, but... it used AA and Car Play... so I would just keep Waze running on the main infotainment screen and it would warn me of all the radar traps, accidents, etc.. on my commute and I would touch the voice command button on the steering wheel say "Okay Google- give me the news" and Google would read me interesting news articles till I got home.

How can you beat that? Well, no car manufacturer can because it's outside the area of their expertise. They are just too stubborn to admit it...

As Dr. McCoy said "leave medicine to medical men!!" :cautious:

·
Registered
935 Posts
^ that can't be right ^ they must have misunderstood the question. A 2022 $80K vehicle does not offer voice text reading or sending? That just can't be......
I've asked multiple times. Multiple reps have given me the same response. If you have a moment to open a chat with Rivian CS, please do so. I'd be curious to see if you hear anything different. (it wouldn't be the first time we've gotten conflicting info).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Agree 1000% !

My 2017 Bolt had no nav, but... it used AA and Car Play... so I would just keep Waze running on the main infotainment screen and it would warn me of all the radar traps, accidents, etc.. on my commute and I would touch the voice command button on the steering wheel say "Okay Google- give me the news" and Google would read me interesting news articles till I got home.

How can you beat that? Well, no car manufacturer can because it's outside the area of their expertise. They are just too stubborn to admit it...

As Dr. McCoy said "leave medicine to medical men!!" :cautious:
He also said ‘’I’m a doctor not a bricklayer‘’.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Exactly what am I asking?
I'll do it...
Well, ask whatever questions you want to know more about. I thought you were saying you didn't think it was accurate that I was told Rivian has no integration with text messaging (such as the ability to read-out received messages or dictate a new message via voice). I was told I would need to physically interact with the phone.

·
Registered
267 Posts
^ gotcha... I'll ask about the truck reading incoming text from connected phone.

I'm on chat with them now.. chatting w/Brittany...

Me: "Will the R1T read text messages out loud from a connected phone? "
Brittany: "good question".. "I'll look in to it... please wait..."

Brittany: "I didn't see where it can do this, and I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. I was able to find what it can do in the R1T Owner's Guide. "

Me: "Can you bump this up a level to get more than is in the owners manual... it's rather a large feature that may help people decide to purchase or not purchase a Rivian vehicle? "

Brittany: "I will be happy to pass your feedback on to the appropriate teams. "

Brittany: "We love hearing suggestions from our community, and we have implemented changes based on community feedback before. Was there anything else I could assist you with? "

Brittany: " On page 54, it mentions the following under Cellular Connectivity: -Maps and Navigation -Entertainment -Live traffic updates -In-vehicle Wi-Fi hot spot -Remote connection with the Rivian app -SOS or emergency calls "

Me: "How will I get the reply from Rivian? "
Brittany" I apologize, I misunderstood the request. The above list is what the vehicle is able to do concerning cellular connectivity. We continue to improve and develop updates for our Rivian vehicles, and I am happy to share your suggestion to have the vehicle read text aloud; however, I cannot guarantee it will be a change we can do at the moment."

Brittany: "We are working hard to ramp up production, get deliveries completed, and host drive events in different areas. I can also put in that you are interested in that feature if it does become available. "

Me: "Okay ,thanks.. so you will pass the request along. To be clear... lots of people on the Rivian Forums are shocked to see that the reading text out loud is not a current feature where cars have been doing that since 2011. It's a big safety issue too.. having the truck read you messages is 1000X safer than you looking down at your cell phone to read messages. "
Brittany: "Yes and understandable! I can see how it would be safer. Rivians do have a lot of other great features, and we are still adding more. It is possible this feature will be available on a later update, I just can't say for sure. "

Me: "Yeah, I get it. As long as you are sending in suggestions.. can you please ask for Android Auto and Apple Car Play and Sirius XM support? "
Brittany: "Absolutely! In fact, we have already gotten that feedback from other community members as well. We are listening; it just takes some time to implement some of these changes/updates. "

Me: "Thank you! Other then "when will my truck arrive" what is the number one request you get? "
Brittany: "The one I get often is "What do the colors look like" or "where can I see the vehicle in person" both are very valid questions and ones I would be interested in as well!

Me: "Okay, thanks for you help this afternoon. I really hope the team looks into and responds to the texting/speech matter."
Brittany: "Of course! Did you have any other questions, Robert?
Me: "No, we're good.. Thanks a million!!
Brittany: "Very welcome! Have a great weekend! "
Me: "Thanks you as well! "
Britney has closed your chat at 1:08 PM

Well, there you go... for what it was worth... Rob

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I've asked multiple times. Multiple reps have given me the same response. If you have a moment to open a chat with Rivian CS, please do so. I'd be curious to see if you hear anything different. (it wouldn't be the first time we've gotten conflicting info).
Nope, I got the same response. To summarize the chat, "third party OS integration is incompatible with the Infotainment experience Rivian has chosen to create for its vehicles." Maybe the ex-Tesla developers they likely hired to code their vehicles didn't know how or didn't have time to integrate Android/Apple devices into their app environment? Still, I find it hard to believe that this is completely off the table, Maybe a marketing ploy to add something a lot of people want after-the-sale? A, "see, we listen to our customers unlike other companies" sound bite? Or not....

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nope, I got the same response. To summarize the chat, "third party OS integration is incompatible with the Infotainment experience Rivian has chosen to create for its vehicles." Maybe the ex-Tesla developers they likely hired to code their vehicles didn't know how or didn't have time to integrate Android/Apple devices into their app environment? Still, I find it hard to believe that this is completely off the table, Maybe a marketing ploy to add something a lot of people want after-the-sale? A, "see, we listen to our customers unlike other companies" sound bite? Or not....
What boggles my mind is that not offering a good text messaging experience seems to fly in the face of their claim they want to create a better user experience. Volvo, for example, DOES support messaging over bluetooth (completely separate from CarPlay). The Volvo system can display text messages on the screen, read them aloud, and lets you dictate replies, too. So this is both technically possible and has already been solved by other manufacturers.

If Rivian needs time to build out their full software feature set then I can accept that — but it’d be nice if they posted a roadmap so we could at least gauge what we’re likely to get, at some point. Their public position now seems to be “we won’t commit to anything.”

61 - 80 of 97 Posts