Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Is not having Apple Car Play / Android Auto a deal breaker for you?

• Yes

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 121 77.6%
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
To keep the McCoy references going, "he's dead, Jim" will be applicable to my interest in buying a Rivian if they don't address these infotainment, UI, and phone integration issues. I posted a rant in a separate thread on how idiotic it is to offer only streaming media options in a vehicle specifically designed and marketed to go to places where streaming is not an option. And without good phone integration I won't be able to easily use downloaded media from my preferred service either, as others have noted.

As many others have also said, I expect the same basic features and integration options I can get from almost every other automaker in vehicles costing 1/3 what Rivian wants for their "high tech, cutting edge adventure vehicles". I've also made this opinion known to CS as it appears many of y'all have done. Maybe if enough of us vote with our voices and ultimately our wallets, they'll listen... Because despite all that, damn do I still want to own an R1S someday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Posted this in an older thread on the same topic, but my two cents here… Rivian is trying to reduce their development cost by partnering with Amazon for Alexa integration and has promised to sell user data (location tracking/charge location/charge time/ music preferences/shopping visits/restaurant visit/ad engagement etc.) to Amazon as part of their terms to split dev costs of the user interface. That bothers me. A lot. You can opt out and not have those features in your car… user experience dead right there because of an agreement forced on the customer.

Also, Apple car play/Android auto should have been offered. This was a really bad decision by Rivian. I would have absolutely preordered by now. However, without Car Play, I have to “trust” a start up auto manufacturer is going to deliver a good interface, because if it doesn’t it is a major problem with the vehicle that can’t be fixed. There is NO communication from Rivian on their product so far as far as I’m aware. I can’t take a look at the feature list etc to see if it even offers an appropriate replacement for the features car play seamlessly integrates into the vehicle interface.

Further, I suspect many of the Rivian customer base at this point is still early adopters that are interested in tech. And having that as your core user base and not offering the car play/android auto feature is just plain bad market research and lack of due diligence. A bad interface and customer experience could kill this brand in a few years and that could have been easily remedied by offering an off the shelf feature. Do I want to put down $70k on a vehicle that may not even survive the first 5-10years???

·
Registered
267 Posts
^ Well, you could put $1K down and get your reservation. There will be approximately 50K deliveries ahead of you and by the time your order is up.. we will know everything there is to know about the Infotainment system, and maybe even what's in the works. It could be great or shite.. but make your buy/don't buy decision at that time, and your deposit is refundable.

·
Registered
150 Posts
^ Well, you could put $1K down and get your reservation. There will be approximately 50K deliveries ahead of you and by the time your order is up.. we will know everything there is to know about the Infotainment system, and maybe even what's in the works. It could be great or shite.. but make your buy/don't buy decision at that time, and your deposit is refundable.
Exactly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fair enough. Except they could have avoided the whole issue and just included an off the shelf option that every auto manufacturer offers. Sorry if it offended you that I questioned the manufacturers bad decision lol.

And its not as simple as placing the reservation or not… they should have the information readily available about their vehicles features at this point. They are producing customer vehicles. We should know by now if one of the main functions of a vehicle adequately satisfies the needs of what we’re looking for. Doesn’t bode well in my opinion that they don’t have a clear feature list and probably spent a lot of R&D hours on a gimmick kitchen for launch that could have been spent on a functioning audio/nav/interface system. I’m also not a person that gives a company an interest free loan to wait and see when their vehicle arrives if it works or not.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's all good @Tannerk89 ... we're all operating in the same vacuum. The Owner's manual is frustratingly void of details because much is still in flux even as the vehicle launch is underway. Welcome to the world of software based vehicles with OTA updates. Features come, go and morph based on customer feedback (hopefully). The owners manual is obsolete the day it's saved as a pdf.

Here is what we know so far... no AA or Carplay, no SXM, BT audio available, built-in streaming via Spotify (IIRC). Status of physical Aux In jack unknown.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FWIW, I am not a fan of either AA or CP. Both somewhat ironically overcomplicate simply playing music from our libraries and streaming services. I BT in my 4Runner and Siri what I need, same for our Pilot.

I just want something that gets the simplest experiences right first. Everything else is a bonus.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Using SIRI over the top of the infotainment system playing music (via BT) leaves quite a lot to be desired. The entire point of AA and CP is to allow your phone and apps to connect in a very simple and seamless manner DIRECTLY to the infotainment system so you don't have services crossing over each other, and you can leverage the awesomeness of your speakers and sound system... Not to mention flawless Waze integration. With AC for example, when you say "HEY SIRI" it will pause your music so you can listen to a message or send a text message verbally (without your music playing).

THAT is simple AND elegant from a UI perspective, and you don't need to be distracted or toggle back and forth between apps or interfaces while doing all that, so there is also the hands-free safety factor. There are many, many reasons why AA and CP provide much better experiences for connected drivers, and RIVIAN isn't about to create something that is better than Apple or Android at this phase of their existence (or any phase for that matter), nor should they. And smartphone users aren't about to ditch their devices or OS's to use RIVIAN's outside of the vehicle instead of their own devices (EVER), so there is also that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just having Waze up and running on the big display is huge because it then reads it's warnings out loud over the vehicle speakers vs the tiny little phone speaker that you can't hear with the stereo playing. Being able to say "hey Google.. give me the news" or "give me the market report" or "give me Rivian or SpaceX (or Tesla :p) news" is great because google will read you a curated/topic centric bunch of current articles without you doing anything other than saying "hey Google..". When I was driving 45min to work every day (I work from home now mostly) I would have Waze running on my 2017 Bolt main display and have Google give me the morning news on the way in to work so I was up on things by the time I got to work and have Google give me the sports news on the way home to relax. It was a great setup that completely left Chevy/GM out of the mix but used their system hardware per customer desires. On weekends or after hours, I would just play one of the SXM channels from the car's built-in SXM radio. It was really a perfect setup that pretty much covered all the bases.

Why any manufacturer would try to make their own system that covers all that is beyond me.. because they can't and won't.

Hey Rivian.... how about listening to the people who are soon to be stockholders and customers.. save the company time and $$$$ just give us AA, CP and SXM and we'll be extremely happy and, you can free up the Dev's to work on Autopilot ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just having Waze up and running on the big display is huge because it then reads it's warnings out loud over the vehicle speakers vs the tiny little phone speaker that you can't hear with the stereo playing. Being able to say "hey Google.. give me the news" or "give me the market report" or "give me Rivian or SpaceX (or Tesla :p) news" is great because google will read you a curated/topic centric bunch of current articles without you doing anything other than saying "hey Google..". When I was driving 45min to work every day (I work from home now mostly) I would have Waze running on my 2017 Bolt main display and have Google give me the morning news on the way in to work so I was up on things by the time I got to work and have Google give me the sports news on the way home to relax. It was a great setup that completely left Chevy/GM out of the mix but used their system hardware per customer desires. On weekends or after hours, I would just play one of the SXM channels from the car's built-in SXM radio. It was really a perfect setup that pretty much covered all the bases.

Why any manufacturer would try to make their own system that covers all that is beyond me.. because they can't and won't.

Hey Rivian.... how about listening to the people who are soon to be stockholders and customers.. save the company time and $$$$ just give us AA, CP and SXM and we'll be extremely happy and, you can free up the Dev's to work on Autopilot ;)
As usual NYR is on point… but a Bolt? Come on man! Lol

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
8 Posts
For me, not having Apple Play or Android Auto is not a deal breaker, but disappointing. I listen to SiriusXM in both of my vehicles and I'm not happy about that not being included in my future R1S. At least we will have Bluetooth streaming available which is a decent work around. We will have wireless charging on the console to keep streaming from sucking the life out of out phone batteries. I am hoping that Rivian will have a change of heart and apply an update down the road. A vehicle in this price range should have streaming apps built in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For me, not having Apple Play or Android Auto is not a deal breaker, but disappointing. I listen to SiriusXM in both of my vehicles and I'm not happy about that not being included in my future R1S. At least we will have Bluetooth streaming available which is a decent work around. We will have wireless charging on the console to keep streaming from sucking the life out of out phone batteries. I am hoping that Rivian will have a change of heart and apply an update down the road. A vehicle in this price range should have streaming apps built in!
This, good call, but TuneIn instead of SiriusXM ;)🍻

·
Registered
11 Posts
i really just want apple music to be an app like spotify. i use car play all the time and mostly (95%) for music. i ignore text and i take and make calls, and use maps, but i'm ok with using a non car play solution.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts