Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Will Rivian eventually become a mainstream automaker?

• Yes

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 40.9%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the R1T pickup and R1S SUV launching late 2021 in the U.S., a current expansion underway into regions outside of North America and smaller electric vehicles to follow, could Rivian be paving the way to go mainstream?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
428 Posts
To the extent that Tesla is, yes. But I think they will always be unique compared to the traditional ICE companies.

Reactions: JES

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put it this way; if they were to go public this year, I will be buying some of their stock. I am very optimistic they can follow the Tesla model and grow substantially.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you look at all the new EV companies worldwide I think Rivian has the best chance to make it in the mainstream automotive world. China EV companies will sell many more vehicles but not take those sales outside of Asia. Now that "major" brands have decided to make EVs as main product lines the chances are much smaller for other new stand-alone EV companies to go mainstream. Plenty of room for several niche EV companies making commercial vehicles as an example. Cool days ahead for EVs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes - if they can weather this chip shortage.

They'll sit in the Lexus/Acura/Infiniti niche. While these are 'Adventure Vehicles' - I think they'll pivot in to more mainstream down the road. I wouldn't be surprised to see a full sized sedan (Honda Accord / Toyota Camry / BMW 5 Series sized) and CUV (Model Y / Subaru Forester / Toyota Rav4) from them before 2030.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree a CUV must be on the shortlist for future products. I don't see a new company like Rivian building a sedan anytime soon with Polestar and Lucid filling the niche company holes for sedans.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look at all the new EV companies worldwide I think Rivian has the best chance to make it in the mainstream automotive world. China EV companies will sell many more vehicles but not take those sales outside of Asia. Now that "major" brands have decided to make EVs as main product lines the chances are much smaller for other new stand-alone EV companies to go mainstream. Plenty of room for several niche EV companies making commercial vehicles as an example. Cool days ahead for EVs.
Things sure are aligning to that with what Rivian is doing so far (minus the delays of course!)
Did you at any point consider EVs from the mainstream brands?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes - if they can weather this chip shortage.

They'll sit in the Lexus/Acura/Infiniti niche. While these are 'Adventure Vehicles' - I think they'll pivot in to more mainstream down the road. I wouldn't be surprised to see a full sized sedan (Honda Accord / Toyota Camry / BMW 5 Series sized) and CUV (Model Y / Subaru Forester / Toyota Rav4) from them before 2030.
Good news...

Ford is getting supply of chips and could be a good sign of things now slowly returning to normal throughout the industry. The partnership they have with Rivian could mean Rivian has a much better time at weathering this storm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Things sure are aligning to that with what Rivian is doing so far (minus the delays of course!)
Did you at any point consider EVs from the mainstream brands?
When I first saw Rivian it just made sense to me compared to Bollinger B1/B2 or Cyber truck. Now that we have the Ford Lightning inbound and with GM and Stelantis happening in a couple of years I can see a shift in customers to those more established brands. Rivian needs to deliver in September to stay ahead. I see Ford making a real dent in EVs since the introduction of Mach-E and Lightning to follow. VW/Audi not having any truck offerings keeps Rivian in play as well. I still like the Rivian lifestyle brand model as it makes them something special in the sea of automotive brands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts