Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Would You Consider the F-150 Lightning over the Rivian now?

• Yes

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 60 60.6%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the F-150 Lightning being revealed by Ford last night, has it made you consider the Lightning over the R1T?

Even though the Lightning's design might be a bit underwhelming from what I've read so far there's a lot of interesting specs/features.

Personally I'm still on team R1T because I don't need a full size pickup truck like a F-150 and even with the price difference I think the R1T offers a more compelling package.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Slower, tows less, shorter range. I am sure the platinum edition maxed out will be a good comparison to the R1T, but the budget models are not really comparable. I want to see what the range is if you are actually towing 10k on the 230 mile range pack. I know it will only be around 40k but I think that level of range anxiety will be a non-starter for most truck buyers. That electric van though, i can't wait to see what people come up converting them into campers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I placed my pre-order right away . . . it might only be 1 foot, but the longer bed is important to me.

I've been on the list for my Rivian since early 2019, and have been super excited for it, but the bed length has always been a sticking point for me.

As of now I am keeping my reservation on both, I didn't opt for the Launch Version so the delivery date and pricing will be determining factors as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered the F150. The size, frunk, and generator are the difference. Wife gets the R1S, I may or may not get the Ford. The cheapest f150 is more of a work vehicle than the R1S and as a home builder, I don't need the range, luxury (we will see how the Rivians turn out) or the speed. We ordered R1S because it looks good inside and out, is fast, we "think" it's a good size, and above all that, good value compared to everything else on the market. IMO the R1T doesn't have the same value proposition.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
No because I want something different and don't demand much from a pickup.

But I think if you want even more of a workhorse with possibly the best support for parts and servicing, then F-150 Lightning is it. I'm sure many fleet operators will go that route. I mean, its Ford.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slower, tows less, shorter range. I am sure the platinum edition maxed out will be a good comparison to the R1T, but the budget models are not really comparable. I want to see what the range is if you are actually towing 10k on the 230 mile range pack. I know it will only be around 40k but I think that level of range anxiety will be a non-starter for most truck buyers. That electric van though, i can't wait to see what people come up converting them into campers.
Fair enough, but it’s not like Rivian has provided any range estimates for hauling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nope. The more I look at the F-150, the more underwhelmed I am with it. Not a fan of the way the screen is mounted. Why a console shifter in an EV? Waste of valuable space. Looks almost exactly like every other F-150, so no separate identity. I don't want something that screams Look at Me, but do like having something that not another 1,000,000 plus people per year also have. The $40,000 version will be very bare bones. A loaded platinum version will probably cost more than than the Rivian. If you want a work truck, the F-150 is a good choice. For all else, looking for something a little more special, which most EV owners expect, the Rivian is the best balance of value, discreet uniqueness and innovative features. Also, not a fan of the interface that the Big 3 use across basically all of their cars. Tesla, Rivian and other solely EV manufacturers build their interfaces specifically for an EV and are generally far superior. After driving a Tesla, I struggle with the interface of just about any other car. Even the new ones already feel dated. Rivian keeps my money, assuming they deliver within a reasonable time frame.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nope. I think you need to have eagle-like eyes to be able to spot a Ford Lightning from the 500K F150s out on the road. (YAWN). I'll pass with something that does not look like anything in the market.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered the F150. The size, frunk, and generator are the difference. Wife gets the R1S, I may or may not get the Ford. The cheapest f150 is more of a work vehicle than the R1S and as a home builder, I don't need the range, luxury (we will see how the Rivians turn out) or the speed. We ordered R1S because it looks good inside and out, is fast, we "think" it's a good size, and above all that, good value compared to everything else on the market. IMO the R1T doesn't have the same value proposition.
From what I saw, it didn’t seem the frunk on the F150 is much different than the R1T. The F150 frunk is stated on Fords website to be 14 cu.ft.

The R1T and R1S’s frunk dimensions are 25.4”x54.8”x22.7”.

I did a basic layout in AutoCAD using those dimensions to try to match the shape of the frunk (as I saw it from the pictures) and came up with about 1314 in2.

Multiply 1314 by 22.7/12 is roughly 17.3cu.ft so it would seem that R1T has the F150 beat there. If im way off, worst case they are equal in size.

·
Registered
6 Posts
From what I saw, it didn’t seem the frunk on the F150 is much different than the R1T. The F150 frunk is stated on Fords website to be 14 cu.ft.

View attachment 2069

I did a basic layout in AutoCAD using those dimensions to try to match the shape of the frunk (as I saw it from the pictures) and came up with about 1314 in2.
View attachment 2070

Multiply 1314 by 22.7/12 is roughly 17.3cu.ft so it would seem that R1T has the F150 beat there. If im way off, worst case they are equal in size.

Frunk appears to be 11 cubic ft. Not a huge difference but a bit smaller. Probably tapers in a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the hundreds of millions Ford invested in Rivian, how many of the components of the 150 are shared with the RIT? Is this just a poor man's Rivian?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't committed to any EV pick-up yet, nor placed an order for one either. F-150 design and major spec very underwhelming for what I was hoping for, but a lot of exciting features that make it a contender.

Couple of things that still make me team Rivian.
  • F-150 doesn't feel/look like an EV, just another bulky gas guzzling truck.
  • Engine Start/Stop button.... really... on an EV. Not a big deal but is a major tell that they don't have the same vision as Rivian and Tesla on what the future of automobiles has to offer and how the UX is trending. For me it has to do that Ford isn't an EV company like Tesla and Rivian, but only trying to catch up.
  • Dealerships..... If I don't have to deal with car dealerships again in my life, I will die a happier man. Unless I want to deal with 30%+ markups, buying a F-150 Lightning will probably not be feasible until late 2023.

·
Registered
171 Posts

View attachment 2069

View attachment 2070

The advantage to the Ford design is it lifts like a standard trunk where the front piece goes up. That makes loading and unloading much easier for both heavier articles and less likely to scratch the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The advantage to the Ford design is it lifts like a standard trunk where the front piece goes up. That makes loading and unloading much easier for both heavier articles and less likely to scratch the vehicle.
Yeah it is appealing with the layout. The 400lbs rating was kind of surprising too. But if items are heavy I suspect most people will want to put the heavier stuff in the bed anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't committed to any EV pick-up yet, nor placed an order for one either. F-150 design and major spec very underwhelming for what I was hoping for, but a lot of exciting features that make it a contender.

Couple of things that still make me team Rivian.
  • F-150 doesn't feel/look like an EV, just another bulky gas guzzling truck.
  • Engine Start/Stop button.... really... on an EV. Not a big deal but is a major tell that they don't have the same vision as Rivian and Tesla on what the future of automobiles has to offer and how the UX is trending. For me it has to do that Ford isn't an EV company like Tesla and Rivian, but only trying to catch up.
  • Dealerships..... If I don't have to deal with car dealerships again in my life, I will die a happier man. Unless I want to deal with 30%+ markups, buying a F-150 Lightning will probably not be feasible until late 2023.
I do have to agree with you on the dealership experience. I haven't missed it a big being with Tesla for the past 7-8 years. I placed a pre-order on the Jaguar when it was first announced and the dealer started bugging me from day one, trying to get me to buy something else NOW, instead of later. Didn't like the Jag once I saw it and cancelled the order. Just in case, I placed the deposit on the F-150. The next day, three phone calls from the dealer and four e-mails, for a truck that won't even be built until next year!!! They're taking advantage and trying to get buyers to buy something else now. Dealers HATE EV's. Dealers live off of service money, not sales of cars. They want you in a gas car that needs regular maintenance and repairs. EV's obviously require very little (unless they break). For every 1,000 deposit holders that they bug, they'll be happy to convert one into a purchase now. But, annoying as heck to have opened myself up to solicitors by placing the pre-order. I already know the Ford won't be my choice. I should have known better than to subject myself to typical dealer tactics. My bad!

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
211 Posts
I do have to agree with you on the dealership experience. I haven't missed it a big being with Tesla for the past 7-8 years. I placed a pre-order on the Jaguar when it was first announced and the dealer started bugging me from day one, trying to get me to buy something else NOW, instead of later. Didn't like the Jag once I saw it and cancelled the order. Just in case, I placed the deposit on the F-150. The next day, three phone calls from the dealer and four e-mails, for a truck that won't even be built until next year!!! They're taking advantage and trying to get buyers to buy something else now. Dealers HATE EV's. Dealers live off of service money, not sales of cars. They want you in a gas car that needs regular maintenance and repairs. EV's obviously require very little (unless they break). For every 1,000 deposit holders that they bug, they'll be happy to convert one into a purchase now. But, annoying as heck to have opened myself up to solicitors by placing the pre-order. I already know the Ford won't be my choice. I should have known better than to subject myself to typical dealer tactics. My bad!
To be fair, that is very dealer specific. I just got ONE email with like the lightning will come next year and we are here for you bla bla bla. Nothing that would bother me. I guess that is the issue of controlling the experience instead of having dealers doing whatever they want. I read a story about a dealer charging way more for the mach e. Sure enough, Ford got to it and made the dealer lower the ask price. But still is super annoying.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was tempted to reserve an F-150 but I want my home charging experience to be as convenient as possible and I think that requires an EV that will fit in my garage. The F-150 at 19.4 ft long will not fit in my garage while the R1T at 18 ft long will.

With the R1T's bed length extending to 7 ft with the tailgate down I don't think I am sacrificing much/any carrying capacity compared to the F-150's 5.5 ft bed. If I ever need to carry something too big for the R1T's bed I can always rent a trailer and tow up to 11000 pounds with the R1T.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts