Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Would You Consider the F-150 Lightning over the Rivian now?

• Yes

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 60 60.6%
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
To be honest, there are a few features I love on the F-150:
  1. Bed Size (I haul stuff fairly often, so the smaller bed size in the Rivian R1T is a concern of mine).
  2. Generator/Backup Power capability (Being able to not have to deal with the occasional brown out or a outage that hits for a couple of hours is extremely appealing).
  3. Back Seat folding (If it's anything like my father in laws Ford or my Ram 1500, the back seat will fold flat to give a larger, lower area to put stuff on. The R1T seats flip forward to access underseat stowage, but don't fold flat... and I have a big dog that likes to lay on his bed back there in my current Ram 1500).
  4. Onboard scales to help give better range estimates due to cargo and trailer weight (Having pulled trailers... and even a boat pushing the limits of my X at 4,200lbs, having anything even remotely helpful in understanding what your updated range will be when towing, is a HUGE help... even if it's only a SWAG, it's better than nothing).
  5. Free in house L2 charger( as I understand it, Ford isn't just sending you along with a crappy 120v plug in option, but are also sending along a nice 240v L2 for our house and have a working partnership with a solar installation company to give you a deal on a solar array install... I could be wrong here though).
That said, there are more things I like about the R1T right now versus the F150:
  1. Even though the bed is shorter, that also means it's only slightly larger than my Tesla Model X.. and will still fit in my garage without any fuss or needing to rearrange.
  2. The R1T has a vastly larger battery pack and longer range (I went Max for the 400 as I'll be hauling a 4,200lbs boat around).
  3. Cargo tunnel is super interesting to me (tent stowage, more places to put groceries/coolers/small children that get on my nerves) especially if there is a slide out/rack system I can put in there.
  4. Proper OTA updates, Rivian, like Tesla, isn't not bolting stuff on to a legacy platform. I've dealt with legacy manufacturers and their "OTA" updates, it's a crap show and I don't have a ton of faith that Ford will fair any better.
  5. Updated and proper electrical architecture will be key. Legacy car makers tend to use off the shelf bits to keep costs lower, this generally results in less efficient, more failure prone systems.
  6. Charging capacity is also a biggy. Ford seemed to imply they max at 150KW, Rivian is implying they can go up to 300KW. Again, my experience with a Tesla X, 150KW is... not so great, and not what you want on a road trip. Super Chargers I use on mine start in the 200KW range and go up to 300KW... that extra 100-150KW is MASSIVE when trying to drive long distances.
  7. Range... pretty self explanatory, 400 > 300 (or realistically, 360ish > 270ish).
  8. Adjustable air ride (I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything about the F150 being able to adjust it's height?)
  9. Price, to get to feature parity, I suspect you will need the Platinum option ($90k+ y0), granted, it's only a grand or so less, but.. it's a grand or so less.
  10. Dealers, I hate them, I hate dealing with them, I hate being in them, and if I can order my rig online and not have to deal with "Dealer Markup" or "Let me go talk with my manager".. that is an instant win.
  11. Frunk design, I actually don't like the grill being attached to the hood. I can just see myself wanging my head into it if it opens too low in my garage to unload bags of groceries.
I like the look of both equally well, but, it is kinda fun when people stop and look or turn their heads due to some wow factor.

I will note, I did buy Ford stock a couple days ahead of the reveal though, as I think it will move and it will do well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cargo tunnel is super interesting to me (tent stowage, more places to put groceries/coolers/small children that get on my nerves) especially if there is a slide out/rack system I can put in there.
Keep in mind that since the tunnel is water tight it should also be air tight, so it is probably not suitable for the storage of children or pets.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
384 Posts
Adjustable air ride (I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything about the F150 being able to adjust it's height?)
They did mention 4 different “modes”, offroad being one of them. I don’t recall them saying it was suspension related, but that’s the only thing I can think that it would be.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
384 Posts
They did mention 4 different “modes”, offroad being one of them. I don’t recall them saying it was suspension related, but that’s the only thing I can think that it would be.
I have a feeling Rivian will be announcing this “soon”.

Reactions: EVnow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I saw, it didn’t seem the frunk on the F150 is much different than the R1T. The F150 frunk is stated on Fords website to be 14 cu.ft.

The R1T and R1S’s frunk dimensions are 25.4”x54.8”x22.7”.
View attachment 2069

I did a basic layout in AutoCAD using those dimensions to try to match the shape of the frunk (as I saw it from the pictures) and came up with about 1314 in2.
View attachment 2070

Multiply 1314 by 22.7/12 is roughly 17.3cu.ft so it would seem that R1T has the F150 beat there. If im way off, worst case they are equal in size.
The difference being lift over height. Putting heavy work stuff in the Ford is going to be much easier than the Rivian. Again, I would use it for work, so that is a big concern for me. The R1S we have on order would not be for work so I couldn't care less about the frunk, probably will never get used except for long trips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2 words: Bidirectional charging. This very well could be the difference in which vehicle I purchase. THere are lots of stylistic reasons I like the R1T over the Lightning, but the ability to use it as a battery backup is absolutely huge for me. It would be great if Rivian would offer it at least as an option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2 words: Bidirectional charging. This very well could be the difference in which vehicle I purchase. THere are lots of stylistic reasons I like the R1T over the Lightning, but the ability to use it as a battery backup is absolutely huge for me. It would be great if Rivian would offer it at least as an option.
Well, I agree that's a big feature for many. Whether Rivian specifically offers that feature is yet unknown. Unlikely it will be a specific feature since that's one they would have promoted. HOWEVER, unlike the Tesla and most other EV's, I will say that Rivian DOES already have 110 outlets. As such, while it may not simply reverse course through the charger, the fact that it's already set up for 110 means simply plugging in an extension cord.

Yes, the Ford feature is a nice feature, but who's really buying an EV to power their house. Tesla already has options for that with the Powerwall. For $7,000, you can get that feature specifically for your house. In a pinch, with the Rivian, I know I can run an extension cord from the Rivian to the refrigerator and whatever other vital power things I need in a power outage. So, while it is a nice feature in the Ford, it's certainly not something that will rank towards the top of my list since there are relatively easy workarounds with the Rivian and likely the Hummer as well. I believe Tesla will also have 110 plugs as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I do have to agree with you on the dealership experience. I haven't missed it a big being with Tesla for the past 7-8 years. I placed a pre-order on the Jaguar when it was first announced and the dealer started bugging me from day one, trying to get me to buy something else NOW, instead of later. Didn't like the Jag once I saw it and cancelled the order. Just in case, I placed the deposit on the F-150. The next day, three phone calls from the dealer and four e-mails, for a truck that won't even be built until next year!!! They're taking advantage and trying to get buyers to buy something else now. Dealers HATE EV's. Dealers live off of service money, not sales of cars. They want you in a gas car that needs regular maintenance and repairs. EV's obviously require very little (unless they break). For every 1,000 deposit holders that they bug, they'll be happy to convert one into a purchase now. But, annoying as heck to have opened myself up to solicitors by placing the pre-order. I already know the Ford won't be my choice. I should have known better than to subject myself to typical dealer tactics. My bad!
I put down the $100 to save my spot for a F150. Like I did for an RT1. Since then I got 2 emails, 2 texts and the dealer called me earlier today. His words were that they were excited about the electric product and are looking forward to selling them. He said his dealer didn't intend to mark up the MSRP. He said he wold be sending me info and updates as they became available. There was no trying to get me to buy something existing now. Anyway that was my experience. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would think the "off-road" mode would be about tweaks to the torque, the traction control, and the ABS. The height adjustable suspension on the RT1 is pretty cool feature. I think ford would have mentioned that if they had it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im surprised no one has mentioned the chance that Rivian will still be a player in 10 years compared to the chance that Ford will be a player in 10 years. I think that is a factor AND is not equal between the 2 manufacturers. Ive got to imagine that it is a 100% chance that your ford vehicle will be supported in 10 years. With Rivian - it is probably not 100% might not even be 80%. Not sure how to quantify this analytically. Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
As much as I loathe working with dealerships to buy a vehicle, the dealerships are actually Ford's greatest advantage. The F-150 Lightning will be able to be serviced at most of the thousands of Ford dealerships, whereas Rivian will only have a handful of service centers (relatively speaking). Granted, EVs don't require nearly as much service as ICE vehicles; but when they do, you don't want to wait weeks/months for appointments or parts, which is exactly the situation with Tesla right now.

I have a reservation for the R1T and Lightning. Not sure which one I'll ultimately end up with since both have pros and cons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 2072

Frunk appears to be 11 cubic ft. Not a huge difference but a bit smaller. It probably tapers in a bit.
Ford beat out the Rivian was the accessibility (which is a major improvement over Rivian's IMO), with the whole front grill area moving up, giving it the extra space. Ford was able to do this with their lights being more to the side?? I wish Rivian would have had their area between the lights attached to the hood going up and giving easier access to the frunk. If they went down to where the person's hand is in the picture and between the lights go up with the hood would have been a huge plus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It could be different programming for power delivery, similar to the 3 "modes" in the Mach-E. An offroad mode may allow the truck to slowly creep, kinda like an automatic transmission does, so that you're not having to modulate the speed as much.... just ride the brake instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I saw, it didn’t seem the frunk on the F150 is much different than the R1T. The F150 frunk is stated on Fords website to be 14 cu.ft.

The R1T and R1S’s frunk dimensions are 25.4”x54.8”x22.7”.
View attachment 2069

I did a basic layout in AutoCAD using those dimensions to try to match the shape of the frunk (as I saw it from the pictures) and came up with about 1314 in2.
View attachment 2070

Multiply 1314 by 22.7/12 is roughly 17.3cu.ft so it would seem that R1T has the F150 beat there. If im way off, worst case they are equal in size.
It is the opening of the F150's frunk that is attractive to me. You don't have to lift items over a tall lip to get heavy items in the F150's frunk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is the opening of the F150's frunk that is attractive to me. You don't have to lift items over a tall lip to get heavy items in the F150's frunk.
I would always put heavy items in the bed of the truck. Also remember the R1T has a cargo tunnel and it would be easy to slide heavy items in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would always put heavy items in the bed of the truck. Anything I put in the frunk will be pushed into the cabin during a frontal crash. Also remember the R1T has a cargo tunnel and it would be easy to slide heavy items in there.
Yes, there are other places to store heavy items but I am comparing the frunks and the design of the F150's frunk makes it more useful than the Rivian's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
But, Rivian, unlike ALL others, has the tunnel, which offers even lower secured access to storage than any of the Frunks will. Plus, being separate, allows you to choose where the messy items go, clean items, in the middle items. Yes, the Ford's frunk is better, but can't say that overall storage capacity, capability and ease of access is better. With three different options on the Rivian, I believe it wins out overall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need more info on pricing. If they can offer a decently equipped f150 in the 55-65k range (not including incentives) I may just get one (still keeping R1S reservation).

Especially after watching some of the videos coming out:

Very interesting bits about actual range and abilities.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts