Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Would You Consider the F-150 Lightning over the Rivian now?

• Yes

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 60 60.6%
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep! Cancelled my Rivian weeks ago and look forward to the Lightning configurator coming soon. Wanted a larger truck and Ford answered all my needs. Rivian is still appealing, but I bet they will see a number of cancelled orders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep! Cancelled my Rivian weeks ago and look forward to the Lightning configurator coming soon. Wanted a larger truck and Ford answered all my needs. Rivian is still appealing, but I bet they will see a number of cancelled orders.
Weeks ago? Wasn't the Ford just announced a week or so ago?

And, if you canceled, that means I'm one spot closer to getting mine sooner. So, thank you!

Yes, Ford will appeal to those looking for a true work truck. But, Rivian will will still have greater appeal to those looking for something different, rather than looking like one of a million of the same thing already on the road. Ford's open grille frunk (knock off from the Hummer) is nice, but would prefer to have the third storage space of the Tunnel in the Rivian over just opening up the front of the frunk, which Rivian still has.

Air suspension is another huge must have for my preferences. The tank turn feature, just cool to have that ability, regardless if it only gets used once! Powered toneau cover is a plus too. Sports car acceleration. More off-road capability. 400 miles in range. The list goes on. The Hummer is more competitive to the Rivian, but priced $40,000 higher. If GM had offered it at a competitive price point, Rivian would have had to be worried.

There will be plenty of buyers for the Ford no doubt. If Ford had offered more of a "Raptor" version of the F-150 EV with air suspension and quicker acceleration, then Rivian would have something to worry about and I'd at least be considering reconsidering.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only reason the F150 is tickling my interest is the base model. I'm a basic no frills / fancy things guy. I don't need heated / cooled seats or steering wheel. I don't a top notch interior or auto pilot. I like almost everything about the Rivian when it comes to its size, gear storage, four motors and range. But I believe if they don't come out with a no frills version I'll probably have to lean on the F150.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
211 Posts
I think there is also the off road capabilities that some people consider.

I am with you for different reasons. My wife will drive the R1S and I will replace my car at some point. Since I mostly rode my motorcycle I need a relatively cheap car. The base F150 fits that bill and would still allows me to take care of the backyard!

The only reason the F150 is tickling my interest is the base model. I'm a basic no frills / fancy things guy. I don't need heated / cooled seats or steering wheel. I don't a top notch interior or auto pilot. I like almost everything about the Rivian when it comes to its size, gear storage, four motors and range. But I believe if they don't come out with a no frills version I'll probably have to lean on the F150.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think there is also the off road capabilities that some people consider.

I am with you for different reasons. My wife will drive the R1S and I will replace my car at some point. Since I mostly rode my motorcycle I need a relatively cheap car. The base F150 fits that bill and would still allows me to take care of the backyard!
Same thing for me. I ride my motorcycles all the time and would need the truck for runs to the hardware store or for camping, hunting, beach, etc. No need for a lush interior. something that is easily kept clean and if it wears out, easy to recover or replace. Love the concept of EV trucks but so far only the F150 has hit the mark on having something for everyone.

I would love for the Rivian to be that truck. Love the look, size, and innovation. I understand why they built the trucks out the way they did for the launch, I just hope that they can also deliver on a super basic truck without all the creature comforts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have reservations for/against both--time will tell who wins out. Rivian looks amazing, the F150 Lightning looks like...a regular old (but Shiny) pickup. Ford: has been around for a long time and knows how to make trucks! But, do they know how to make EVs? Will old ICE-habits die hard? Anyone out there own a Mach E and a Tesla who can weigh in on Ford vs an EV-only company? Rivian: will it be around 100 years? Do they know EVs ( we assume), but do they know how to make trucks?

The one thing that concerns me about the F150 Lightning is how tight-lipped Ford is for some of the specs so far. I realize they just did their first reveal recently, but they could be more transparent about the actual specifications. I also don't see anyone mentioning towing capabilities. Rivian estimates if you tow at max capacity in the R1T your range will decrease by 50%. Can we expect the same from Ford? I don't plan on towing at the maximum capacity for either vehicle, but it does give me some idea of how far I can get on a full charge. I plan on using the truck to pull a trailer, a boat and a 3500 dry weight camper. I would like to take said camper to various national parks, etc...so if my range is 100 miles I need to know that up front. Can we get a range estimate for 2500, 5000, 7500 and max pounds towing capacity?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have reservations for/against both--time will tell who wins out. Rivian looks amazing, the F150 Lightning looks like...a regular old (but Shiny) pickup. Ford: has been around for a long time and knows how to make trucks! But, do they know how to make EVs? Will old ICE-habits die hard? Anyone out there own a Mach E and a Tesla who can weigh in on Ford vs an EV-only company? Rivian: will it be around 100 years? Do they know EVs ( we assume), but do they know how to make trucks?

The one thing that concerns me about the F150 Lightning is how tight-lipped Ford is for some of the specs so far. I realize they just did their first reveal recently, but they could be more transparent about the actual specifications. I also don't see anyone mentioning towing capabilities. Rivian estimates if you tow at max capacity in the R1T your range will decrease by 50%. Can we expect the same from Ford? I don't plan on towing at the maximum capacity for either vehicle, but it does give me some idea of how far I can get on a full charge. I plan on using the truck to pull a trailer, a boat and a 3500 dry weight camper. I would like to take said camper to various national parks, etc...so if my range is 100 miles I need to know that up front. Can we get a range estimate for 2500, 5000, 7500 and max pounds towing capacity?
Ford is slowly adding additional information on their site:

They are "targeting" max towing of 10,000 lbs and max payload capability of 2,000 lbs. The figures are based on having the extended range battery but if you will be towing, you will need the larger battery.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It looks like Toyota will build an all-electric version of the Tundra.

Anyone here interested in it?

No manufacturer has been more anti-BEV than Toyota with their B.S. “Self Charging” advertising and their clinging last hope on their fuel cells.

Plus, there’s this…

So, yeah, I have lost all respect for Toyota and will never even consider another Toyota vehicle.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the F-150 Lightning being revealed by Ford last night, has it made you consider the Lightning over the R1T?

Even though the Lightning's design might be a bit underwhelming from what I've read so far there's a lot of interesting specs/features.

Personally I'm still on team R1T because I don't need a full size pickup truck like a F-150 and even with the price difference I think the R1T offers a more compelling package.
As an early depositor, and one who signed in for the "Launch Edition," am beginning to think about visiting a local Ford dealer and ordering an EV F150. 1. It will cost less, 2. The wait will not be much longer, and 3. There will be no issues about delivery and service in Florida. And my first vehicle was a Ford, so maybe my last one should also be a Ford.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As an early depositor, and one who signed in for the "Launch Edition," am beginning to think about visiting a local Ford dealer and ordering an EV F150. 1. It will cost less, 2. The wait will not be much longer, and 3. There will be no issues about delivery and service in Florida. And my first vehicle was a Ford, so maybe my last one should also be a Ford.
If Rivian gets delayed then I think F-150 would too, as they rely on Rivian for the battery and related tech under the hood.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If Rivian gets delayed then I think F-150 would too, as they rely on Rivian for the battery and related tech under the hood.
No, Ford is not using the Rivian tech for the F150.

They did explore using the Rivian skateboard for a Lincoln project, but that was canceled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im surprised no one has mentioned the chance that Rivian will still be a player in 10 years compared to the chance that Ford will be a player in 10 years. I think that is a factor AND is not equal between the 2 manufacturers. Ive got to imagine that it is a 100% chance that your ford vehicle will be supported in 10 years. With Rivian - it is probably not 100% might not even be 80%. Not sure how to quantify this analytically. Steve
I think this is because Rivian already has an order from Amazon that will keep it in business for at least that long. 100k vehicles is a large order for a start up. Additionally, the inclusion of Alexa in the vehicle gives Amazon and incentive to keep ordering vehicles from Rivian.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think this is because Rivian already has an order from Amazon that will keep it in business for at least that long. 100k vehicles is a large order for a start up. Additionally, the inclusion of Alexa in the vehicle gives Amazon and incentive to keep ordering vehicles from Rivian.
The Amazon order is spread over 5 years but that alone doesn't guarantee viability. Amazon can likely back out if delivery volume or other conditions aren't met. Rivian has had a robust ramp-up plan that appears to have been realized in a pretty timely manner (despite all the bitching on this forum, when's the last time any of us started an automotive company from scratch with thousands of employees and billions in infrastructure?). Not sure if I'm ready to bet on where they'll be in ten years until we see deliveries on volume and how effectively they're received in light of real competition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Amazon order is spread over 5 years but that alone doesn't guarantee viability. Amazon can likely back out if delivery volume or other conditions aren't met. Rivian has had a robust ramp-up plan that appears to have been realized in a pretty timely manner (despite all the bitching on this forum, when's the last time any of us started an automotive company from scratch with thousands of employees and billions in infrastructure?). Not sure if I'm ready to bet on where they'll be in ten years until we see deliveries on volume and how effectively they're received in light of real competition.
Exactly. One thing is clear though. Amazon, is the only customer that has received Rivian vehicles. Even if it is only for testing purposes.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts