Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Expecting delivery his week and planning to pick up my Dad for Christmas. His place has a dryer plug (wired with 10 gauge to 2 20a breakers- one for each of the two load lines). His setup is powering an arc welder and heater from a NEMA 6-20R (non locking) receptacle.

I would like to try to charge overnight at his place at 7.6kw but would need an adapter (6-20R to 14-50R). Has anyone been able to successfully charge at 7.6 from an adapted 6-20R? If so please let me know which adapter worked?

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot
Th

if this won’t work I am considering bringing a 50amp breaker, wire, box and a 14-50R to temporarily replace his two single pole setup.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

· Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
10 Posts
You can charge using an adapter like this: NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R Adapter and manually turning your trucks charge amperage down to 16 amps. This will be about 3.8 kW. You will not be able to get 7.6 kW as that would require 32 amps. EV charging is a continuous load which needs to be 80% of the circuit rating. So 32 amps would require a 40 amp circuit. Since your dads circuit is 20 amps that means you can only safely pull 16 amps.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
R1T
39 Posts
if this won’t work I am considering bringing a 50amp breaker, wire, box and a 14-50R to temporarily replace his two single pole setup.
If you plan to visit often.. maybe consider installing the higher current receptacle anyway... once done, its there for future visits. :)

· Registered
2022 Rivian R1T
10 Posts
Super helpful, I watched a YT video where they weren't able to charge and I am sure it was for the same reason that they (like myself) didn't know you can adjust the amperage down at the truck. I purchased this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/PFCTART-Char...sion/dp/B09PLCW5HW?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 Thanks Pickupman2022! 3.8 is better than 1.3 :cool:
I hope so, i tested turning the amps down with the rivian charger connected to my 14-50 outlet and I just got a similar adapter I'm planning to use next time I visit family.

· Registered
811 Posts
If you plan to visit often.. maybe consider installing the higher current receptacle anyway... once done, its there for future visits.
Just be aware that you may need to run new wire to handle the higher current and may need to upgrade the panel to handle the larger load. It's almost certainly not as simple as popping in a new breaker and swapping the outlets. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting an electrician to give you a quote for doing this - that will tell you the scope of the changes needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts