Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would rather have them being honest then using these gimmicks to keep people on board and not drifting to Ford or Tesla camp.
Well I just ordered a Mach E and also have a Hummer reservation, placed October 2020. I firmly believe I will end up with the Hummer as my truck, as long as GM starts deliveries this fall and meet their EPA estimates.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Who said there was a delay? You know the date for one person, you know they have to ramp up production and will produce very few vehicles in the first month or two. If you do not trust them, I would suggest you don't get one. I know I would not buy a product from a company I did not have faith in, much less a startup.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Who said there was a delay? You know the date for one person, you know they have to ramp up production and will produce very few vehicles in the first month or two. If you don't not trust them, I would suggest you don't get one. I know I would not buy a product from a company I did not have faith in, much less a startup.
I think the massive Amazon backing gives me even more faith.

There will be hickups.

Tesla has been months or even years late on almost every product they have ever rolled out.

So far Rivian has announced they are pushing back from June to July.. that's it.... after a global pandemic.

I'm impressed!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I think the massive Amazon backing gives me even more faith.

There will be hickups.

Tesla has been months or even years late on almost every product they have ever rolled out.

So far Rivian has announced they are pushing back from June to July.. that's it.... after a global pandemic.

I'm impressed!
I agree that the Amazon backing gives Rivian a lot of credibility and that’s partially why I’m willing to cut them as much slack….

However, to be fair, they already delayed from January to June because of Covid, and now from June to July.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree that the Amazon backing gives Rivian a lot of credibility and that’s partially why I’m willing to cut them as much slack….

However, to be fair, they already delayed from January to June because of Covid, and now from June to July.
This is true but they changed from December to June at the very beginning of COVID (April 7th 2020), long before anyone had any real idea how disruptive it would be.

I wonder what would have been the projected dated if they waited until November or December 2020 when there was way more data to plan with.

·
Registered
651 Posts
This is true but they changed from December to June at the very beginning of COVID (April 7th 2020), long before anyone had any real idea how disruptive it would be.

I wonder what would have been the projected dated if they waited until November or December 2020 when there was way more data to plan with.
On May 26th they were still telling customers "June"... So their projection wasn't any different in December 2020.

I think most people aren't actually that mad at the delay, itself, but rather the fact they waited until the very end of May to tell customers that June wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
And all the guides that have actually reached out is telling customers that the earliest they will get delivery is end of october, so it is not a one month delay. At least 4 months.

·
Registered
37 Posts
And all the guides that have actually reached out is telling customers that the earliest they will get delivery is end of october, so it is not a one month delay. At least 4 months.
All the guides? How many are you aware of? I have seen one person publicly say Oct, and they said it may be earlier.

·
Registered
84 Posts
To be fair, we are currently living in unprecedented times. First Covid that shut down the auto industry (and the world for that matter), then a computer chip shortage, and lastly supplier chain issues for numerous reasons. In my 25 years working in the auto industry I have never seen anything like this. Not Y2K, the "dot-bomb" craze or even the crash of 2008-2009. So saying that any company (let alone a start up) could have properly navigated these waters without delays is ludacris. If anyone wants to jump ship from Rivian, you are more than welcome to do just that, however, if you have driven by any dealership lot, you will see that ALL auto companies are suffering right now to get product in the hands of the buying public.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To be fair, we are currently living in unprecedented times. First Covid that shut down the auto industry (and the world for that matter), then a computer chip shortage, and lastly supplier chain issues for numerous reasons. In my 25 years working in the auto industry I have never seen anything like this. Not Y2K, the "dot-bomb" craze or even the crash of 2008-2009. So saying that any company (let alone a start up) could have properly navigated these waters without delays is ludacris. If anyone wants to jump ship from Rivian, you are more than welcome to do just that, however, if you have driven by any dealership lot, you will see that ALL auto companies are suffering right now to get product in the hands of the buying public.
100% agreed! Supply chains in all manufacturing sectors have been spread thin in ways no one expected. This "delay" isn't just Rivian but people are sure quick to make it appear that way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am slated for delivery between July 22nd and and late August. So no all the guides are not saying October.
Congrats, earliest we have heard so far.

Just curious, did you want to share your configuration and general location?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not real familiar with posting on forums so if I screw something up let me know.

I preordered the El CapGrey with black interior. I live in Indiana so very close to the Normal plant. My guide said if I switched to Launch green it would push my back to a later delivery date. That seemed odd to me as I almost changed my preorder to the green thinking that would be the first color delivered. Anyways any questions you have let me know. I made my deposit in March of 2019

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not real familiar with posting on forums so if I screw something up let me know.

I preordered the El CapGrey with black interior. I live in Indiana so very close to the Normal plant. My guide said if I switched to Launch green it would push my back to a later delivery date. That seemed odd to me as I almost changed my preorder to the green thinking that would be the first color delivered. Anyways any questions you have let me know. I made my deposit in March of 2019

Thanks for the info, interesting that El Cap Granite, seems to be one of the first batches, Thats is also my selection, but i chose for the ocean coast interior and worse yet, in Canada (my preorder was late July 2020 as well) so, I will probably have to wait for all the US deliveries to be done before i see mine :)

ah well....sadly i couldnt wait any longer for a vehicle,..took possession of a relatively inexpensive volkswagen Tiguan today to tide me over, hopefully i get decent trade in value for it, when it comes time to do the rivian deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks for sharing…. I put my deposit down on Dec 8 2018 and still no contact… and I also have El CapGray with Black Interior, but I live in ATL area? Can’t wait to see a true end customer delivery….again Thanks for sharing and wish more folks would…

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
39 Posts
Thanks for sharing…. I put my deposit down on Dec 8 2018 and still no contact… and I also have El CapGray with Black Interior, but I live in ATL area? Can’t wait to see a true end customer delivery….again Thanks for sharing and wish more folks would…
We can only hope Rivian gets to work on a mobile service center in Atlanta soon. In Columbus, GA, dangerously close to Alabama, I am only 100 miles away from Atlanta. From everything I can read on this forum, and others, looks like the priority is #1 location (near service center or Normal), #2 configuration (Blue or El CapGrey with mostly black interior), and lastly #3 your place in the pre-order line. The practical side of me understands this is probably the most efficient way for Rivian to do it, but the emotional side of me doesn't like it too much. In the southeast, we are likely going to have to hurry up and wait, regardless of our pre-order date.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We can only hope Rivian gets to work on a mobile service center in Atlanta soon. In Columbus, GA, dangerously close to Alabama, I am only 100 miles away from Atlanta. From everything I can read on this forum, and others, looks like the priority is #1 location (near service center or Normal), #2 configuration (Blue or El CapGrey with mostly black interior), and lastly #3 your place in the pre-order line. The practical side of me understands this is probably the most efficient way for Rivian to do it, but the emotional side of me doesn't like it too much. In the southeast, we are likely going to have to hurry up and wait, regardless of our pre-order date.
I’m a couple hours north of ATL in NC. Early Jan 2019 reservation, no contact yet. I keep switching between silver and Forrest green with ocean coast interior, hoping I can find which config will improve my delivery time but I’m guessing location is going to screw me either way. I would have preferred an option for picking up in IL than waiting for it to come here as I have relatives near there anyway.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
39 Posts
I would gladly do the factory delivery as well, if it were offered. But my best guess is that having an already constructed nearby mobile service center is going to be a key component, as I am speculating that their mobile service units are not fully trained and ready to go. They really need to have all the positive PR they can get and don't need a botched rollout. GM did the same thing with the BoltEV, very limited initial delivery area on the west coast.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts