Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The option is being eliminated while a redesign is completed. No time table on when the redesigned powered version will again become available and also no idea what it will cost or if it will be available as an add on after taking delivery.

R1T options are now the manual cover or no cover. It’s really hard to know what to do at this point. I’d love to have a powered cover eventually but I’d also like to know what it will cost. Has anyone on here actually used the manual version? I’d love to hear about it.

· Registered
38 Posts
The new redesign is already out. My original one broke the second day which was very upsetting, but 4 weeks later they called as they had received one of 30 in the nation and wanted to install on my truck. I’ve had it for over a month now and it works great. It is also a bit quieter. I will assume the mechanism inside is different but outside the only noticeable thing is that the slats overlap instead of butting end to end. The other thing is that when it retracts it sticks out just a touch so the last slat does not go in. I assume this is so it doesn’t completely detach which is why they’re having many of them break.

All that being said, I am not clear whether they are offering this to everyone or just to those that are broken.

Attachments

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new redesign is already out. My original one broke the second day which was very upsetting, but 4 weeks later they called as they had received one of 30 in the nation and wanted to install on my truck. I’ve had it for over a month now and it works great. It is also a bit quieter. I will assume the mechanism inside is different but outside the only noticeable thing is that the slats overlap instead of butting end to end. The other thing is that when it retracts it sticks out just a touch so the last slat does not go in. I assume this is so it doesn’t completely detach which is why they’re having many of them break.

All that being said, I am not clear whether they are offering this to everyone or just to those that are broken.
This is only speculation but based on todays email I think you got a prototype fix that will not be part of a wide production rollout, but I’m glad it’s working out well for you!

· Registered
60 Posts

That’s weird as what you describe as the redesign was delivered on my 991x truck… if it works, why announce today they are no longer offerable? Makes no sense.

· Registered
55 Posts

Thanks how mine looks…I don’t think this is the re-design Rivian is promising.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
That’s weird as what you describe as the redesign was delivered on my 991x truck… if it works, why announce today they are no longer offerable? Makes no sense.
The pics you posted look exactly like my factory (never repaired) tonneau. They should always have had tilted slats. When they start flattening out you know your tonneau is on its way out.

if you really think you have a redesigned cover, please remove the back bed panel and snap some pictures of the motor(s) and jack shaft. That’s the important bits, and you’d be the first to provide that info.

· Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
94 Posts
First the Gear Tunnel options, now the tonneau. Given that I'm probably looking at late next year for delivery because of the MaxPack, I'm wondering what else will be missing or changed. If they keep up with the "deletions", do you think the aftermarket will do something to make up for it? Losing these options is a great part of the reason for buying it.

Reactions: Jebinc

· Registered
60 Posts
The pics you posted look exactly like my factory (never repaired) tonneau. They should always have had tilted slats. When they start flattening out you know your tonneau is on its way out.

if you really think you have a redesigned cover, please remove the back bed panel and snap some pictures of the motor(s) and jack shaft. That’s the important bits, and you’d be the first to provide that info.
I think you replied to the wrong person as I do not think I have a redesigned tonneau cover.

· Registered
60 Posts
First the Gear Tunnel options, now the tonneau. Given that I'm probably looking at late next year for delivery because of the MaxPack, I'm wondering what else will be missing or changed. If they keep up with the "deletions", do you think the aftermarket will do something to make up for it? Losing these options is a great part of the reason for buying it.
I decided not to wait the year and rather to get a vin between 9500-11500; before the start of deletions and additions of a Sandy Munro cheapening effort (see frunk vids or posts here). So glad I did, too. Purchased mine with 238 miles at today’s MSRP. They are out there, if you look.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I think you replied to the wrong person as I do not think I have a redesigned tonneau cover.
Yea, sorry. I meant to quote this post:

· Registered
26 Posts
I read (probably here) that the covers were jamming. When I test drove one, several months ago, they showed the electric cover. When they discontinued the model I originally ordered, I went ahead and ordered the manual cover anyway. My reasoning was the jams & the battery power use, and how hard is it really just to push something back & forth?

· Super Moderator
572 Posts
I've been saying for some time that I don't think that the Max will start shipping in substantial numbers until late next year, perhaps even 2024, despite having a 1H2023 delivery window for my own R1T Max reservation.

As far as can be determined, EPA Cert testing, a prerequisite for production, is still not complete. While we should hope that the problem with the EPA certification is minor, Rivian has not provided any useful info about the Max for many months, something that may indicate a larger engineering design issue. I see the problems with the gear tunnel and tonneau cover as relatively minor teething pains, but Rivian will still need to expend what I'm sure are becoming increasingly scarce technical resources to get them fixed. That could have a knock-on effect that may further delay the Max, but there's really no way to tell.

The Rivian website states that reservation holders will see more information about vehicle delivery on their accounts page by the end of this month. That could mean that we will have more definitive information and good news about our deliveries very soon. Pessimists will point to RIvian history however, and say the odds are that the webpage feature will not only be delayed (it was originally promised "in early 2022") but when it debuts, reservation holders for the R1T Max will see that their deliveries have been pushed to early 2024.

As with most things Rivian, you are unlikely to be disappointed if you keep you expectations low.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts