Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
First the Gear Tunnel options, now the tonneau. Given that I'm probably looking at late next year for delivery because of the MaxPack, I'm wondering what else will be missing or changed. If they keep up with the "deletions", do you think the aftermarket will do something to make up for it? Losing these options is a great part of the reason for buying it.
I'm in the same boat, waiting for MaxPack...another year or so? I did want a reliable powered tonneau so maybe that'll happen over the course of my wait time. In the meantime, I suppose that I can use that $1500 to add the clear plastic protective film on the front. What a deal...;)

· Registered
55 Posts
Hmm….
So what about RIT’s already delivered with the powered tonneau? If its failure is predicted, how will they handle warranty for a $1500 paid-for option when it does fail?
they already stated via email they will replace them.

· Registered
62 Posts
Disappointing for me but probably different than others... I did not want the cover at all because of the additional cost and I found it unnecessary and unreliable. That said I was under the impression that if I removed it that it would push out my delivery date so I kept it. I guess I am stuck with the legacy might break on any given use legacy powered cover

· Registered
13 Posts
I just got off a chat with Rivan. I was told that taking delivery of an R1T without the powered tonneau - will not allow for one to be added later. I am absolutely disappointed if this proves to be true (I've found the Chat answers to be very unreliable). The incredibly clever design for the powered cover was one of the attractive features of the truck. I'm going to remain hopeful for now, that Rivian will find a way to support us early adopters. And NO I don't have my truck yet, still waiting for "November-December" to roll around.

· Registered
13 Posts
Just got this email from Rivian:

If you take delivery of your R1T before the redesigned powered tonneau cover has been introduced, then you will not be able to have it installed after delivery. If you haven’t taken delivery yet at that time, then you will be able to add it back to your configuration.

If you would like to wait until the powered tonneau cover is available to add to your configuration again, you can always defer when we contact you to let you know that your vehicle is ready. Then, once the new option is available, add it to your configuration and let your Guide know that you are ready to take delivery whenever they have built the truck. I want to emphasize though that there is no timeframe whatsoever on when the new upgraded version of the powered tonneau cover will be available.

Really disappointing. ☹

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just got this email from Rivian:

If you take delivery of your R1T before the redesigned powered tonneau cover has been introduced, then you will not be able to have it installed after delivery. If you haven’t taken delivery yet at that time, then you will be able to add it back to your configuration.

If you would like to wait until the powered tonneau cover is available to add to your configuration again, you can always defer when we contact you to let you know that your vehicle is ready. Then, once the new option is available, add it to your configuration and let your Guide know that you are ready to take delivery whenever they have built the truck. I want to emphasize though that there is no timeframe whatsoever on when the new upgraded version of the powered tonneau cover will be available.

Really disappointing. ☹

Wow, that’s super disappointing. I wonder why they’ve made this decision? Where are you in the purchase process? I didn’t receive this email.

· Registered
16 Posts
Thats a bummer, as the power tonneau is a key feature for many, including me.

For those that already have an RIT with the Tonneau installed, are there specific causes or precautionary steps to prevent its failure, besides not using it?

I have a Sept delivery R1T and the Rivian delivery guide referenced the Tonneau as “V2”, but was quick to add the v2 is likely to fail at some point and will ultimately be replaced with the new design.

I try not to open mine much, but a primary use case for the truck is hauling Mtn bikes with “RIDE88” racks fitted in the bed.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive parking light Car

· Registered
659 Posts
For those that already have an RIT with the Tonneau installed, are there specific causes or precautionary steps to prevent its failure, besides not using it?
Short answer, "No." I took delivery of my R1T and I immediately cycled the tonneau cover 1.5 times before it locked 1/2 open. You could not have asked for a cleaner truck, rails, and brand new system yet it still failed right out of the box.

· Registered
62 Posts
Thats a bummer, as the power tonneau is a key feature for many, including me.

I have a Sept delivery R1T and the Rivian delivery guide referenced the Tonneau as “V2”, but was quick to add the v2 is likely to fail at some point and will ultimately be replaced with the new design.

I try not to open mine much, but a primary use case for the truck is hauling Mtn bikes with “RIDE88” racks fitted in the bed.

View attachment 8614
My trick? Rarely use it! :) I was told that V1 had a single motor and that caused binding when opening/closing. V2 is dual motor and less likely to fail but is to be replaced with a V3 at some future undetermined date

· Registered
8 Posts
The option is being eliminated while a redesign is completed. No time table on when the redesigned powered version will again become available and also no idea what it will cost or if it will be available as an add on after taking delivery.

R1T options are now the manual cover or no cover. It’s really hard to know what to do at this point. I’d love to have a powered cover eventually but I’d also like to know what it will cost. Has anyone on here actually used the manual version? I’d love to hear about it.
Hey Ben, I have a powered tonneau which you would have seen last weekend had I not flaked out. I’ve had no problems with it at all although it’s a bit loud. KW

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just spoke with Retrax customer support as posed earlier in this thread by @EaglesPDX. They are making a retractable cover for the R1T. Unfortunately Rivian won’t be able to get them a truck to test fit it until sometime in late 2023. My mind is made up, no cover for now.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Just spoke with Retrax customer support as posed earlier in this thread by @EaglesPDX. They are making a retractable cover for the R1T. Unfortunately Rivian won’t be able to get them a truck to test fit it until sometime in late 2023. My mind is made up, no cover for now.
Why not use a customer truck? That seems to be how most other aftermarket companies do their R&D.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts